PDA

View Full Version : Long time hitting partner leaves

chapufo1
09-27-2011, 07:24 PM
Hi guys,

I just found out that a good friend and long time hitting partner of mine is leaving the area for another job. To be honest, this is very depressing as this guy was a measuring stick for me. He was always the better player and it just seemed like no matter how much I improved, he was the man that posed the greatest challenge. His style makes it the most difficult for me to execute my game and it was always a thrill to hit with him. I know there are plenty of players out there but this guy really had it all and was a very unique in his style of play. Now that he is leaving I feel like a big part of my motivation to play tennis will go as well. I was wondering if people have had a similar situation? This just sucks at the moment.

dozu
09-28-2011, 04:15 AM
cry, baby, cry.

bad_call
09-28-2011, 05:02 AM
cry, baby, cry.

don't forget the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjDqx_GTQmg

Caesar
09-28-2011, 05:31 AM
I think you meant to write this in your heart-shaped journal that you keep in your hope chest.

thug the bunny
09-28-2011, 06:16 AM
Ace! 40-0....

mightyrick
09-28-2011, 06:22 AM
Write him a letter telling him how you feel. Maybe he'll love you and not leave you.

Satch
09-28-2011, 06:33 AM
Hi guys,

I just found out that a good friend and long time hitting partner of mine is leaving the area for another job. To be honest, this is very depressing as this guy was a measuring stick for me. He was always the better player and it just seemed like no matter how much I improved, he was the man that posed the greatest challenge. His style makes it the most difficult for me to execute my game and it was always a thrill to hit with him. I know there are plenty of players out there but this guy really had it all and was a very unique in his style of play. Now that he is leaving I feel like a big part of my motivation to play tennis will go as well. I was wondering if people have had a similar situation? This just sucks at the moment.

lol, you sound loke your girl dumped you...

you should never rely only on 1 hitting partner, its almost the same like with girls :-P

Also it is a new challenge for you to find someone else, who is maybe worse player then you, and make him a better player.

The Bawss
09-28-2011, 07:20 AM
I have nothing to contribute to this thread but lol you people are b@stards!

dozu
09-28-2011, 08:07 AM
TT is full of warm hearted people ready to help at any moment.

thug the bunny
09-28-2011, 09:23 AM
I have nothing to contribute to this thread but lol you people are b@stards!

Nothing to add either, but seeing your location makes me yearn for a nice Gewurztraminer with some Alsatian goat cheese and a crusty baguette. Mmmmm.

LeeD
09-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Lover's come, lover's go.
As do tennis partners.

Limpinhitter
09-28-2011, 09:33 AM
Hi guys,

Been there! More than once! Take a lesson from the highest level coach in your area and ask him if he can set you up with one (or more) hitting partners.

arche3
09-28-2011, 09:58 AM
you guys are brutal lol. post is kinda gay though.... :-)

thug the bunny
09-28-2011, 10:54 AM
All right I do have something to add. If your motivation to play is dependent on the presence or absence of one guy, maybe there is something latent going on here..

Maybe if you had his baby he would have stayed.

mightyrick
09-28-2011, 11:18 AM
Maybe if you had his baby he would have stayed.

Sometimes a baby isn't even enough to make a man stay.

jht32
09-28-2011, 11:27 AM
There nothing wrong with a Bromance :) Cut the OP some slack.

Seriously, nowadays, finding a good tennis partner is probably even more challenging than finding a good girlfriend/lover/etc.

Hewex
09-28-2011, 11:40 AM
Hi guys,

That's rough, and ignore the other snarky comments. Obviously, it's more acceptable to rue the lost love of a favorite racquet. I'm sure you guys were friends too. One of my friends is out of state, and his doubles partner died of cancer a few years ago. And yeah he was bummed. Tennis hasn't been the same for him since. Not the same level of loss as you, but yours is still a loss. Hang in there.

TTMR
09-28-2011, 12:02 PM
Yeah, my long time hitting partner/opponent moved away a few weeks ago, and the only other guy I play rarely does due to very questionable 'injuries'.

So as of now, I don't have anyone to play with except the wall.

TheBoom
09-28-2011, 12:52 PM
I had to leave my hitting partner back in oregon same kind of thing almost but i had gotten the better of him this year but it was sad for me but from talking with my friends and him he hasnt played much since i left dont fall find someone!

guitarplayer
09-28-2011, 12:53 PM
This is why I'm buying a ball machine.

Caesar
09-28-2011, 12:56 PM
Yeah, my long time hitting partner/opponent moved away a few weeks ago, and the only other guy I play rarely does due to very questionable 'injuries'.

So as of now, I don't have anyone to play with except the wall.
Careful. If you play with yourself too much, you'll get tennis elbow.

LeeD
09-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Well, you can also lose BOTH the hitting partner and your SO, the same person, and of course, at the same time.

dozu
09-28-2011, 01:44 PM

I think the correct term is 'golf elbow'.

thug the bunny
09-29-2011, 06:29 AM

My mommy told me I would get hairy palms or go blind.

Hewex
09-29-2011, 10:53 AM
This is why I'm buying a ball machine.

I got one and love it!!

Ben Hadd
09-29-2011, 11:43 AM
If you like it then you shoulda' put a ring on it.

Qubax
09-29-2011, 12:05 PM
Geez people. Almost zero compassion for this chap?

Being that Tennis is a one on one sport(at least in singles) it's easy to get in the (bad?) habit of just playing one guy, over and over and over again.

If you only hit with Federer you'd get schooled, but you'd also improve.

However it you also hit with Djokovic, Nadal and Muzza, you'd additionally be schooled, and yet you'd probably develop a more well rounded game.

The best thing you can do is find a LOT of hitting partners, before - your favorite one moves away on you.

You may have to hang out at some courts and look for people to hit with. It's not the easiest way to find a hitting partner, but you only need to procure them once to find out if they can be a permanent partner.

I do feel bad for your loss. ...and I hope you find some new partner(S) soon.

sphinx780
09-29-2011, 12:21 PM
OP-

This is just the beginning because now you've got some real skin in the game.

It's time for you to train like you never have before, hit against the wall, with the ball machine, as many self rated 4.0s on Craigslist as you can find or hell, hit practice serves at one of those little yip yip dogs (that bark is quite aggravating) and then issue a challenge to your buddy.

Find a middle ground, fly out and play. Loser covers the plane tickets, winner covers the beer.

In the meantime, you can work on finding a new partner but you'll always be able to sail away for a weekend rendezvous.

dozu
09-29-2011, 12:36 PM
I wasn't kidding when I said 'cry baby cry'.

In this day and age, why is this even a problem? you line up half dozen guys around the same level, give or take 05.-1.0 NTRP points, then just blast out invitations -emails or messages whenever you need a hit.

people gotta remember - beggars aint choosers.

I can see why some people having hard time finding partners - they always want to hit with some1 better than them, always want someone with certain game style etc etc.

There is always a way to make a hitting session interesting, even if the other guy is 2 levels (1 ntrp point) below.

TTMR
09-29-2011, 06:45 PM

Being that Tennis is a one on one sport(at least in singles) it's easy to get in the (bad?) habit of just playing one guy, over and over and over again.

If you only hit with Federer you'd get schooled, but you'd also improve.

However it you also hit with Djokovic, Nadal and Muzza, you'd additionally be schooled, and yet you'd probably develop a more well rounded game.

The best thing you can do is find a LOT of hitting partners, before - your favorite one moves away on you.

You may have to hang out at some courts and look for people to hit with. It's not the easiest way to find a hitting partner, but you only need to procure them once to find out if they can be a permanent partner.

Not sure where you live, but that's just not done here. A person who stalked courts asking people to play would be seen as annoying and desperate. Nobody here goes to courts alone; they always go with a partner. If you approach a pair, then it just becomes awkward with three. Is one of them supposed to go home? Socially, it just doesn't work. Perhaps it is more common in more tennis-friendly areas, I don't know.

LeeD
09-29-2011, 07:05 PM
Interesting take...
Around here, the SanFrancisco Bay Area, I've gone to courts by myself without prior calls or scheduling maybe 80% of my tennis life.
Only that narrow window of playing a little better, I'd go by the black book, but that only last 2 years and since I"m a surfer, I can't abide by no black book.
Maybe you should go to bigger courts with more players, like universities or colleges, high schools, or bigger playgrounds where pick up tennis is the rule rather than the exception.
Hit your tennis shop.

mightyrick
09-30-2011, 04:26 AM
People -- it isn't that hard. Spend $10 on a group drill session. After you're done, collect about 5 or 6 phone numbers and/or email addresses. People who go to drills are more than willing to go out for a hit.

tennis_ocd
09-30-2011, 05:20 AM
Sorry.... sounds as if he just needs a little space. You sound like a nice player and will make some other partner very happy.

chapufo1
09-30-2011, 11:31 AM
I don't think you guys understand where I'm coming from...or maybe you guys do and are just making fun of me. Either way I'll try to explain a bit more.

I do have other players to hit with. I have several actually of all levels. But everytime I go back to hitting with this guy it's as if I never made any improvements bc he hits a different ball than others. He uses a 15-16oz racket and actually gives me a challenge on the baseline. I am not trying to brag but I've played with D1 players and others from all levels and their baseline games are...well just boring. The shots they hit are too easy to deal with. My joy out of tennis comes from going toe to toe with someone who can hit as hard as I can.

Anyways, I don't blame people for thinking that I'm QQing over nothing. But the truth is, tennis to me is as equally important as my dreams/aspirations/education. I've spent probably 50% of the last 7 years teaching myself how to play this game, watching tennis, thinking about tennis, and studying tennis. And then imagine if you had someone who could help you improve almost endlessly (obviously not the case) at something that defines your identity. If that factor from your life disappeared, it would be like... I don't know, losing a sense of self.

Yes he is a good friend. But what I'm trying to emphasize here is the aspect related to tennis. I am getting emotional about the game I love not so much the friend leaving....and after saying that I look like an *******.

chapufo1
09-30-2011, 11:33 AM
lol, you sound loke your girl dumped you...

you should never rely only on 1 hitting partner, its almost the same like with girls :-P

Also it is a new challenge for you to find someone else, who is maybe worse player then you, and make him a better player.

I respect this post very much. I realize that it should never be about just me. Maybe it's time to return the favor to someone else.

chapufo1
09-30-2011, 11:35 AM
There nothing wrong with a Bromance :) Cut the OP some slack.

Seriously, nowadays, finding a good tennis partner is probably even more challenging than finding a good girlfriend/lover/etc.

Thanks for the sympathy haha. It is indeed very difficult to find a good tennis partner. I couldn't care less about finding a girlfriend/lover. My gf is essentially my tennis racket.

chapufo1
09-30-2011, 11:35 AM
That's rough, and ignore the other snarky comments. Obviously, it's more acceptable to rue the lost love of a favorite racquet. I'm sure you guys were friends too. One of my friends is out of state, and his doubles partner died of cancer a few years ago. And yeah he was bummed. Tennis hasn't been the same for him since. Not the same level of loss as you, but yours is still a loss. Hang in there.

Thank you for your maturity.

chapufo1
09-30-2011, 11:38 AM

OP-

In the meantime, you can work on finding a new partner but you'll always be able to sail away for a weekend rendezvous.

Thank you for your posts.

firstblud
09-30-2011, 12:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6urbZyHgO4&ob=av3e

counterfeit25
09-30-2011, 02:46 PM
Hi guys,

I have a feeling I know who you are talking about... his name starts with "A"? I got bored at work and starting browsing these forums ;)

Anyway, if you stop by the Boston area let me know, we will hit. Not sure I can hit 100+ mph forehands, but I'll try.