PDA

View Full Version : Me hitting, what is my NTRP

georgeadey1
09-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Hi everyone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Iti14E-cQ4

Here is a few highlights of me and a friend hitting. What NTRP am I? (I am in the white shorts) and any technique tips for either of us?

Would be really grateful for any feedback

dozu
09-29-2011, 12:59 PM
you guys can play!

I like your BH and your friend's FH..... you FH looks slightly tight and doesn't release was well as his... I think if you loosen up a bit, it will have more juice.

I am also surprised to see you messing up both overheads considering your serves aint bad.

ntrp - I say 4.5 minimum.

MarinaHighTennis
09-29-2011, 01:08 PM
I'm very very impressed. This is more entertaining than college tennis. I wished I had someone like you guys to hit with on a daily basis.

I would say 5.0 but 4.5 min like dozu

LeeD
09-29-2011, 01:11 PM
Very experienced soft hitting 5.0 to 4.5, lots of years under the belt....good hitting, good tactics, almost all misses are close, and lines are targets.
You only need to lose 20 years, and your games would be solid A/Opens.

VGP
09-29-2011, 01:13 PM
Nice to see some point construction and guys playing within themselves.

Tebow
09-29-2011, 01:23 PM
Very nice hitting guys. 4.5 - 5.0 without a doubt.

q4short
09-29-2011, 01:24 PM
you guys are good and I'd like to play with either of you guys anyday. Some things I noticed, majority of BH's were slice.. and you guys get loud after good points, lol.. Additionally, as I, something to work on are overheads and the footwork they require.. lots of spin, and I didn't see too many flat shots

georgeadey1
09-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the response guys, yeah my overhead is dreadful! I presume this is a footwork issue? about to upload some more points from the second set which shows some more errors

thanks again

LeeD
09-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Most older accomplished players tend to hit at least 70% of their backhands with slice. The reason is ...less energy expended.
Both those guys can hit solid 1hbh's, and usually save them for passing shots or open court looks.
Both those guys are smart and have lots of tennis years left.

MarinaHighTennis
09-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the response guys, yeah my overhead is dreadful! I presume this is a footwork issue? about to upload some more points from the second set which shows some more errors

thanks again
Your footwork isn't bad but I see a reluctance when someone throws a lob up. Please upload the second set. :)

LeeD
09-29-2011, 01:38 PM
I see the poor overheads as something that is purely mental. Both of you like to play strategic points, both rely on consistency to move and wear out the opponent, and neither of you really hit a good serve ....FOR YOUR LEVEL!
And both of you sorta pancake your serves, using arm, but not the whole kinetic chain.
I think both of you are VERY good players, much better than possible to pick up at any playground or tennis courts except college level courts.

georgeadey1
09-29-2011, 02:02 PM
here is a small part of the second set, footwork got slower as my fitness is really average, my partner kept drop shotting which was pretty effective, thanks again for the responses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDtfw04EpeMhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDtfw04EpeM

q4short
09-29-2011, 02:08 PM
hahaha! there were some super funny parts in there. Fatigue played it's role!

ps2dcgba
09-29-2011, 02:45 PM
:-O
Very nice hitting.....looks like you guys have almost all the shots....also looks like you guys have very nice court craft ....looks very relaxed, I enjoyed the video, thanks for posting! Cheers!

rjw
09-29-2011, 02:48 PM
Not bad at all, although while consistency, placement and shot selection was quite good, pace seemed a tad slow? might just be the video

Good show....better than 4.0 imo

georgeadey1
09-29-2011, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the last two posts, yeah hopefully its the video that makes the pace look slow ha, my partner actually hits pretty hard. Consistency wise I missed a few too many returns and he actually won 4 and 4

bad_call
09-29-2011, 03:04 PM
george - nice vid...fun to watch. would say at least 4.5 but could be higher. good movement and shot selection.

how old are u and your friend?

georgeadey1
09-29-2011, 03:06 PM
hi, im 19 and my friend is 21

AceServer
09-29-2011, 03:09 PM
Wow, you guys are having a lot of fun :). I love your backhand. It's so crisp and smooth.

georgeadey1
09-29-2011, 03:15 PM
ha we were having fun, we are both outrageously competitive and hate loosing to each other! ha its weird hearing that about my backhand, i used to only hit slice up until about 2 years ago

dozu
09-29-2011, 03:20 PM
hi, im 19 and my friend is 21

very doubtful... first of all, what's with the grey hair if you are 19.... 2ndly, nobody 19 I know hits like that... I mean a 19 and a 21 going at each other, both using 1hbh... if it were true, frogs can fly.

rjw
09-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Definitely great potential on both sides!!

You need figure out your overheads (as stated before) . they don't fit in with the rest of your game.

georgeadey1
09-29-2011, 03:24 PM
ha thanks! im not grey lol and yeah im 19

Rubens
09-29-2011, 03:41 PM
lol the hair definitley looks grey. Sort of like wilander grey. Anyway, if you're really 19, there's a chance we'll see you among the pros in the next few years. Just work on that overhead. And maybe hit the bh a bit earlier for better control.

Timbo's hopeless slice
09-29-2011, 04:15 PM
lovely games, actually. I would say ITN 4 +, which makes you NTRP 5.0 I think?

Nice, anyway!

LeeD
09-29-2011, 06:32 PM
I think, for your real age, both you guys have topped out.
The reason? Your net clearance on almost all hard shots is VERY high, and not hit with heavy topspin, so the ball is barely hit. Unfortunately, this is shown in both your serves. Weak, but very good for 4.0, but you are much better than 4.0. I'd think you're 5.0, but both of you hit very softly.
As you face better players, solid 5's and 5.5's, they would eat up your groundstrokes and serves, so you'd have a hard time always needing to break their serves (the 5.5's).
Both of you are very good players right now, but the only way to improve is to start hitting a little bigger.

canuckfan
09-29-2011, 06:40 PM
You guys are good! Thanks for posting that vid, i enjoyed it. I'd say 5.0 minimum. Nice ballstriking, accuracy, and tactics. Love the quality forehand slice on the run. Good tennis.

tennismonkey
09-29-2011, 07:38 PM
5.0 at least. you guys looked like you were goofing around and just having fun. in a tournament or team setting, i wouldn't be surprised if you guys are even better.

rjw
09-29-2011, 07:57 PM
very doubtful... first of all, what's with the grey hair if you are 19.... 2ndly, nobody 19 I know hits like that... I mean a 19 and a 21 going at each other, both using 1hbh... if it were true, frogs can fly.

Do you have indisputable proof that this guy is an outright liar?

rufusbgood
09-29-2011, 08:14 PM
No way either of these guys even take a game off Peter Polansky. How can they be 5.0's?

Limpinhitter
09-29-2011, 08:26 PM
Hi everyone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Iti14E-cQ4

Here is a few highlights of me and a friend hitting. What NTRP am I? (I am in the white shorts) and any technique tips for either of us?

Would be really grateful for any feedback

I was going to say 5.0 until I saw that smash at 2:18. Hahaha!

Limpinhitter
09-29-2011, 08:36 PM
here is a small part of the second set, footwork got slower as my fitness is really average, my partner kept drop shotting which was pretty effective, thanks again for the responses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDtfw04EpeMhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDtfw04EpeM

Funny how drop shots become the major weapon in the second set.

Rickson
09-29-2011, 08:56 PM
Very Nadal like forehand there.

SeriousSummer
09-29-2011, 09:05 PM
More than anything, I like these clips because you looked like you were having fun.

It is real tennis, a wide variety of shots and nice consistency, and well thought out points.

If everyone could play tennis like you do, the sport would be many times as popular as it is.

str8killa1990
09-29-2011, 09:11 PM
weak 5.0 good 4.5, nice play, you two are the type of players that drive me apeshit crazy...spin, shot placement close to the lines, off speed shots. all good.

escii_35
09-29-2011, 11:13 PM
Your BH is legit 5.0. But over all I would say self rate 4.5 and see how it goes.

There was something about the match which made me feel like the players were much older. 38-45 I think it was the use of squash forehands and some of the footwook.

Loved the expressiveness on the tight points.

Edit: I read the other posts and saw your age. What are people at your level and age doing hitting 1hbh ?!?. Very very unusual.

georgeadey1
09-30-2011, 12:16 AM
I think, for your real age, both you guys have topped out.
The reason? Your net clearance on almost all hard shots is VERY high, and not hit with heavy topspin, so the ball is barely hit. Unfortunately, this is shown in both your serves. Weak, but very good for 4.0, but you are much better than 4.0. I'd think you're 5.0, but both of you hit very softly.
As you face better players, solid 5's and 5.5's, they would eat up your groundstrokes and serves, so you'd have a hard time always needing to break their serves (the 5.5's).
Both of you are very good players right now, but the only way to improve is to start hitting a little bigger.

Thanks for the post, I think this is really accurate. I think my return and serve are the reasons why I'm not a better player, when I get into a rally with a better player I feel relatively confident although I could hit heavier.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
09-30-2011, 01:23 AM
I enjoyed this video!
But you both look older than 19 and 21?

georgeadey1
09-30-2011, 01:49 AM
I enjoyed this video!
But you both look older than 19 and 21?

Ha I promise I'm 19!

ondray
09-30-2011, 02:34 AM
Wow! That was an intense but fun highlights vid. Thanks for sharing.

origmarm
09-30-2011, 02:37 AM
George are you UK based? I seem to remember you are. You have an LTA rating? Just wanted to see how they compare. The ITF have a conversion chart but I think it's rubbish.

Cheers,

Orig

georgeadey1
09-30-2011, 02:48 AM
Yes I am based in the uk, my rating is 6.2 atm but should be going upto 6.1 in this ratings run. I have seen the conversion chart before its a pile of rubbish. My partner is a 6.1 but he plays better than that

origmarm
09-30-2011, 02:53 AM
Interesting, thanks George, makes for a good comparison. Personally I think that chart is rubbish also. That said the ratings are pretty wide I find here.

Cheers,

Orig

Magnetite
09-30-2011, 04:15 AM
I'd say 4.5, some nice shot placement and entertaining points. It looks slow on the video, but in real life may be faster.

You need more variety on your serve and better placement around the box. Also, you need to work on your footwork, and keeping you slice lower with more bite on it (if you are going to slice so often).

It looks like you guys play together often, which makes for a good watch :)

You can play 5.0 tournaments, and if you guys are 19, then you can definitely improve, win them and move onto open tournaments e.t.c ..

It's hard to say without seeing the unedited version, but good luck!

Geology_Rocks!
09-30-2011, 10:39 AM
For some reason I also thought u guys were on the early 40s...

Great tennis anyway.

Devilito
09-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Entertaining videos. You guys are both consistent and have good placement and move well. That’s a big part to being successful even at higher levels. I’ve seen 5.5-6.0 matches between two grinders that had extremely soft hitting rallies that lasted forever. The winner then played an aggressive player and it looks totally different because the soft hitter will adjust to the harder hitter. So I can’t say I’d make a rating decision based on how hard they’re hitting the ball. The only difference is that soft hitting 5.5 will use tons more spin on their shots. Good play and good mechanics, it’s one of those situations where only tournament results will be able to tell the story.

georgeadey1
09-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Entertaining videos. You guys are both consistent and have good placement and move well. Thatís a big part to being successful even at higher levels. Iíve seen 5.5-6.0 matches between two grinders that had extremely soft hitting rallies that lasted forever. The winner then played an aggressive player and it looks totally different because the soft hitter will adjust to the harder hitter. So I canít say Iíd make a rating decision based on how hard theyíre hitting the ball. The only difference is that soft hitting 5.5 will use tons more spin on their shots. Good play and good mechanics, itís one of those situations where only tournament results will be able to tell the story.

Yeah I think that it is hard to base a rating on one video, some of the feedback is really interesting, especially all the comments about us looking 40! But yeah looking at the averages it looks like I'm probably a 4.5 or maybe a 5.0, but my serve and weight of groundstroke has to improve

bad_call
09-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Ha I promise I'm 19!

some might ask to show your birth certificate...but seeing how you're not running for political office. :lol:

Devilito
09-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Yeah I think that it is hard to base a rating on one video, some of the feedback is really interesting, especially all the comments about us looking 40! But yeah looking at the averages it looks like I'm probably a 4.5 or maybe a 5.0, but my serve and weight of groundstroke has to improve

i thought you guys were young form the get-go. IDK where some people got this 40 year old thing from lol

chapufo1
09-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Great hitting. Very consistent and good shots on the run. 4.5 at the least as other posters have rated.

LeeD
09-30-2011, 01:05 PM
Seldom do we ever see young players with grooved strokes and very good form try to hit consistent with placement and precision.
Most youngsters like to pound the ball, trying to win by hitting THRU the opponent to force errors.
Improve serve, hit a little lower over the net with a little more pace, and we have some real 5.5 material right there.