PDA

View Full Version : New guy with a video

q4short
09-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Hello everyone, I'm Q. I started playing almost 6 years ago and have never been coached. If you take a look at my video, I'd appreciate any thoughts, advice, etc.. thanks

the first half are groundstrokes, the second is serving
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgenuueC2T8

LeeD
09-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Very good wall hitting, better than most.
Would be nice to see vids of you hitting with a partner.
Walls tend to make people a little lazy with footwork and shoulder turn.
Where in Cal are you?
I'm in SanPablo, Ca.

q4short
09-29-2011, 01:55 PM
thanks LeeD. I'm in the valley; Stockton, CA. I'll consider making a video playing with my buddies...

rufusbgood
09-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Really nice. Only suggestion I feel qualified to make is to see if you can't begin your service motion without the racquet waving. It may have helped you early on to relax and be rhythmic but now it is actually incongruous with the rest of your motion. See if you can't just start from a complete standstill. This way you are beginning your motion with a certainty of how your racquet and the ball are oriented to one another. As your hands part and take their separate paths, having had them start out together helps with re-orienting them when they reunite at the point of contact.

http://www.ontennis.com/files/image/tennis-rules/tennis-serve(1).jpg

Kenny022593
09-29-2011, 05:10 PM
I feel like you arm your backhand a lot too. It looks like how mine did when I posted my video of hitting against a wall. Just try to add more hips?

q4short
09-29-2011, 07:01 PM
@rufus: thank you, I didn't notice that. You're right, flopping it around before I serve looks sloppy and who knows how much this will help. Will make the effort!

@kenny: I guess I am arming it. Thing is, I've just developed this. Before, I had the tendency (especially in point-play) to not-arm-it; usually jamming myself up and hitting too much with my hip. Not sure if this makes sense, but now my main focus on the BH is to take back early, give myself space, and generate the racket speed with my left hand before contact. Got a link to the vid you're referring to about yourself?

MarinaHighTennis
09-30-2011, 09:40 PM
You have a nice up the t serve

10sLifer
09-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Hello everyone, I'm Q. I started playing almost 6 years ago and have never been coached. If you take a look at my video, I'd appreciate any thoughts, advice, etc.. thanks

Great strokes. I would just try to hit your backhand a little more like your forehand. i.e. Close your racquet face (tilt it down a little more prior to hitting) more. This will allow you to swing more inside/out away from your body and not make that outside-in flippy motion which is really a subconscious mechanism to get the racquet face vertical at contact.

Limpinhitter
09-30-2011, 10:05 PM

Very good for self taught. Both groundies look good. But, you don't set up for your shots as consistently on your forehand side as you do on your backhand side. Try to set up for each shot like a batter in a batter's box, loaded up, waiting for the ball, before it gets there.

Your serve has potential, but, you need: (1) more upper body rotation back and forth, (2) more spine angle/tilt at the peak of the toss (which is accomplished by bending the knees, not arching the back), and (3) a longer more fluid arm motion - like throwing a ball.

Hope this helps.

q4short
10-01-2011, 01:16 AM
Thanks for taking the time to view and give feedback everyone, much appreciated.

@marinatennis: At the time of this vid, just a couple days ago, down the t ad side was what I struggled with most.. I've made several adjustments to my serve after watching the vid

@10slifer: I partially get what you're saying.. But angling the racket face more downwards before contact, I take that was a means for more top spin? My forehands differ; generally I don't go for any extreme amount of topspin, only on short angle and maybe a topspin lob

@limpin: I definitely have more control and feel on my forehand side. About my serves, I made a ton of adjustments after this video (comparing and now trying to imitate Federer). Knee bend was definitely one of them. I kinda found a groove, but need way more repitition for the muscle memory. Right now, I have so many adjustments that I'm too busy thinking about technique.

I look forward to recording match play vids not too long from now. I take all comments and suggestions into consideration. Thanks!