View Full Version : Tennis Serve

StanW
09-29-2011, 04:15 PM
Critique to your heart's content.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHNyqrl0vJo

Mostly self-taught, so yeah... it's not the best >___>

mightyrick
09-29-2011, 05:59 PM
I like the overall motion in general. The issue I see is (very pronounced) on the serve at :42 seconds. I think it reveals a hitch and some resulting "arming" of the ball.

If you look at that serve specifically, you get good knee bend, but when you launch upwards... you pause your hitting arm. Almost like it kills all of the momenum from your knees.

The distance of the camera makes it a little tough for me to see, but it does seem like the hitch/pause of the hitting arm at :42 negates the launching of the legs. As a result, you lose some pop and pace.

Can someone else check me here? Or am I seeing things?

StanW
09-29-2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the point out. I can see what you mean by the arming the ball.

That last serve was actually the slowest of the ones showed.

LeeD
09-29-2011, 07:16 PM
Lower your hitting hand at trophy. Raise your tossing arm at trophy, to get the archer's bow in your hips.
Widen your stance, so you can push off INTO the court, for more power.
Swing faster and harder, with some effort.
Just after ball strike, try to hold your hand and elbow up, so the rackethead comes thru past the hand and elbow, to get the "WHIP" action. Otherwise, if you don't, you only get your swing speed, no more.

StanW
09-30-2011, 09:01 AM
LeeD, if I lower my hitting hand should bring the racquet "closer" to my head?

I'll upload another video on a tripod today to demonstrate.

LeeD
09-30-2011, 10:53 AM
Racket hand is fine, maybe about a foot from your head.
But lowering the hand gives you a bigger backswing on your serve, for more power. MartinaNavritilova served with a high hitting hand, but don't copy her.