PDA

View Full Version : Summarize your development

thug the bunny
09-29-2011, 07:17 PM
Sitting here watching a replay of a '09 Nadal - Djoker match, and I started thinking about all the changes and improvements I have made in my game since coming back after a 25 yr hiatus. Most of them...alright all of them were either initiated and/or guided by information I harvested on TT (trying hard not to sound gratuitous).

I switched from an E grip to a SW after reading about its propensity for TS. It took a little while, but now I have a decent consistant TS forehand. My favorite and maybe a little overused shot, esp inside-out.

I wanted to generate more pace on my BH so I went from 1 to 2HBH. I read up on the 2H and now hit a dependable hard TS BH. Love the DTL BH.

When I was young I served hard flat and slice, and thought the TS kick was something only pros could do. Since coming back, I read up on it and started experimenting, and yup, I can kick it up 6 ft or more...60% of the time.

Even though I already knew it from golf, TT threads reiterated that smooth, pure contact hits a harder ball than coming out of your shoes..every time. Pure contact is a product of seeing the ball well. I have learned to try and keep that in my mind on every shot.

My latest experiment is the conti grip w/pronation for serves. This is a tough one. Progress so far - ehhhh.

Anyone else want to document their changes, developments, or improvements in their games?

mightyrick
09-29-2011, 07:21 PM
My latest experiment is the conti grip w/pronation for serves. This is a tough one. Progress so far - ehhhh.

You've developed all of that goodness in your game, but are you implying that you hold an Eastern Forehand Grip on your tennis serve?

LeeD
09-29-2011, 07:23 PM
er...
I've been sitting around for the last 3 years due to a non healing sprained left ankle, so atrophy set in sometime last year, I haven't been able to run or hopstep on a tennis court, and I hobble around everywhere.
My left thigh and calf is easily an inch and maybe more skinnier than my right, and much softer with much less muscle. I cannot do ONE calf raise with my left leg.
And you guys keep saying my serve sucks...:):):)
How would YOU serve with one working leg?

thug the bunny
09-29-2011, 07:53 PM
Er, umm, yeah. Actually, I hit a pretty darn strong flat serve with a SW...

There, I said it. I just use the same stroke I would for a flat forehand, but over my head. I DON'T frying-pan it. I drop it behind my back and hit it so my knuckles are facing at the target, just like driving a nail into a wall over my head.

For my kick and slice, the conti is working OK - I don't feel that much difference from the E I used to use.

It's the flat with the conti I can't adjust to yet. And I know it's the same forearm rotation I would use to hit a draw in golf. I'll get it sooner or later.

dennis10is
09-29-2011, 08:24 PM
I have not improved from a 1.0 NTRP for the past 30 plus years. I'm told that if I just spend the money and play USTA league, somehow my rating would improve. Seems like magic.

TTMR
09-29-2011, 09:19 PM
My development as follows:

1. I started off terrible at tennis;

2. I remain terrible at tennis.

rjw
09-29-2011, 09:30 PM
40 years ago I was a strong 4.0 borderlng on 4.5. I quit, then started up 15 years later, quit again and just started back up a few months ago.

For some reason, I'm more into it now than in the past. Bought a stringer, a ball machine, some new sticks and have really been enjoying the challenge of converting to / or adding modern strokes to my small bag of tricks.

I still have quite a way to go, but I've dropped 40 lbs. so far, footspeed is finally coming back (used to be the best part of my game).

Love the new technology, finally know a little bit about stringing racquets and life is good......

All in all, not bad for an old fart

mightyrick
09-30-2011, 05:35 AM
Er, umm, yeah. Actually, I hit a pretty darn strong flat serve with a SW...

Yeah, I've got a friend who holds semi-western for his serve, too. Most of his serves are backspin serves. Some of them are extremely tough to return due to the pace and lack of bounce.

However, he has no kick or topspin serve due to the grip. His second serve is his weakest point by far.