PDA

View Full Version : moved from 3.5 to 4.0 Advice please

Lawn Tennis
09-29-2011, 06:58 PM
I graduated to the 4.0 rank for performing well enough at the 3.5 rank last season. My first 4.0 league match is Saturday morning. Naturally I have some anxiety. I have some experience playing 4.5+ players; I know how big, deep, and consistent they can hit, and surely a 4.0 player having a good day could perform the same.

My strategy proved solid against 3.5 players. I was always working on something, and then recording in words how it went. The next day I would imagine what I could have done better (mental and/or physical) and tried it usually with some significant success.

Would anybody here care to give their thoughts on what I could do to maximize performance and ensure a smooth transition to the 4.0 rank? I am not expecting to make it to the playoffs nor even necessarily to win a match. I'm mostly looking to find a way to take the challenge in strides.

LeeD
09-29-2011, 07:00 PM
You cannot affect how your opposition plays. You can only hit your best shots and the smartest time, and hope his reply is something you can eat up.
So concentrate within. Play YOUR best game, and let the dice roll the way they roll.

Nellie
09-30-2011, 07:15 AM
While the ball may be faster, I think the biggest difference is to expect balls to come back - you are going to get a lot less free points because the opponent with hit more service returns and less errors.

olliess
09-30-2011, 11:04 AM
Maybe it would help to hear your own assessment of how were you winning at 3.5. What were your competitive advantages (and relative weaknesses) at 3.5 and how do you see those translating to the next level?

pheonix6579
09-30-2011, 04:31 PM
You cannot affect how your opposition plays. You can only hit your best shots and the smartest time, and hope his reply is something you can eat up.
So concentrate within. Play YOUR best game, and let the dice roll the way they roll.

totally agree!!! Don't change how you play your game. Just be aware more balls will come back, they will come back faster, and serves will be more difficult to return. Well you could always hope for a low 4.0 and then you might be better matched. just a head up.

Lawn Tennis
09-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Thanks to everyone for their feedback. I'm going to head there 100% focused; distractions will be my reminder to dig in and get in the zone. I'm going to give it my best and see what happens.

Thanks again :)

Lawn Tennis
10-01-2011, 10:40 AM
I lost the first 4.0 match 0 and 1. I was impressed with how many balls he got back. I was fighting myself to get into the match and made too many errors most of which were double faults. It was an excellent learning experience. Thanks again to everyone :)

Oh yeah, and the good news is that I was able to find my serve, my game to secure that one game. I saved two match points and then went up 15-30 on his serve only for him to win the game, set, and match.

larry10s
10-01-2011, 05:10 PM
I lost the first 4.0 match 0 and 1. I was impressed with how many balls he got back. I was fighting myself to get into the match and made too many errors most of which were double faults. It was an excellent learning experience. Thanks again to everyone :)

Oh yeah, and the good news is that I was able to find my serve, my game to secure that one game. I saved two match points and then went up 15-30 on his serve only for him to win the game, set, and match.

keep at it cover all your bases and you will improve

that didnt copy in quoting you but its true
your result should not viewed as a surprise
as you go up in levels the balls come back
your good shot gets a" good er" shot from them
just getting the ball back doesnt work
you have to hit forcing shots and "work the point"
the quality ball you can deliver and the quality ball you can handle will determine how far you go

rjw
10-01-2011, 09:31 PM
3.5's still hit a lot of junk. and lack consistency. At 4.0 this changes somewhat dramatically.

As a 3.5, your 'used to be winners' are no longer.

Best to shore up your weaknesses, be ready for much longer rallys and improve your overall game plan.

Good luck with it....been there done that.

Lawn Tennis
10-01-2011, 11:15 PM
keep at it cover all your bases and you will improve

that didnt copy in quoting you but its true
your result should not viewed as a surprise
as you go up in levels the balls come back
your good shot gets a" good er" shot from them
just getting the ball back doesnt work
you have to hit forcing shots and "work the point"
the quality ball you can deliver and the quality ball you can handle will determine how far you go

I guess I did expect it to be closer than that. Regardless, I am telling myself to detach my results from my ego (or better elminate that darn ego). I can see the enthusiasm for the game of tennis in every post here. It's as if I had a personal coach. Thanks for revealing your perspective to me. :)