PDA

View Full Version : Kick Serve

swwong
09-30-2011, 02:37 AM
I am starting to practice more on kick serves and trying to up on the ball..but most of my serves land outside the service line, closer to the baseline

Am I not using my wrist enough?

Thanks

mightyrick
09-30-2011, 04:29 AM
Hit up on the ball. Your follow through should be to the side fence.

Ramon
09-30-2011, 04:39 AM
It's hard to say if you need more wrist action without seeing your serve, but that is a possibility. Personally, I never give the wrist much thought. I think more about the brushing up motion. I know my wrist moves, but it's not a conscious effort on my part; the wrist movement to me is incidental to brushing up on the ball. When you first practice a kick serve, I suggest starting with a slow pace and exaggerated toss to get the feel of it. If you are right-handed the toss should be at about 10 o'clock at first and the ball should not be in front of you at all. Yes, this is a terrible position for your back. When you brush up on the ball your racquet should be moving from a horizontal position to a vertical position and make contact somewhere in between. Once you get used to the motion, you can start moving the toss to about 11 o'clock and work on adding more pace.

dozu
09-30-2011, 04:56 AM
bad ball toss position? grip too neutral? too much direct hit on the ball (instead of brush on the ball)?

need to see vid.

Nellie
09-30-2011, 07:18 AM
Are you brushing the ball? You should stay sideways and be leading with the edge of the racquet and not the face. Listen to the contact - you should hear a "swish" and not a "pop"

LeeD
09-30-2011, 09:55 AM
Clear net by 3-4', apply heavy topspin, "swish" the sound of impact, SLOW DOWN YOUR FRIKKEN SERVE!

BMC9670
09-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Clear net by 3-4', apply heavy topspin, "swish" the sound of impact, SLOW DOWN YOUR FRIKKEN SERVE!

...not to be confused with racquet head speed. A common mistake I see made is slowing the racquet down on the second serve and therefore not generating the spin needed to bring the ball in.

LeeD
09-30-2011, 10:13 AM
Yes, as much rackethead speed as you can generate swinging upwards at the ball, and slow down the MPH of the ball, increasing the RPM so the ball goes OVAL and makes a "hissing" sound thru it's flightpath.

zapvor
09-30-2011, 12:18 PM
yea we cant really give advice without a video

LeeD
09-30-2011, 01:03 PM
Not sure who you're talking about, Zapvor, but everyone has seen the vid of my paltry serves.

zapvor
09-30-2011, 02:51 PM
Not sure who you're talking about, Zapvor, but everyone has seen the vid of my paltry serves.

lol you are unbelievable dude

dozu
09-30-2011, 03:22 PM
Lee - still need to see a video of your rocket FH

LeeD
10-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Never ever said I had a forehand worth close to any decent level.
It might be more consistent now with strong SW or weak W grip, but it's still a work not progressing.
I don't give too many tips on forehand, except the basic turn shoulders and watch ball.
Forehand is my worst shot in all my tennis strokes.