PDA

View Full Version : Grand Slam Graduation

TEAMRAFA
07-10-2005, 03:37 PM
I'm going to be graduating high school in 2006 and for a graduation present my parents are considering taking me to a Grand Slam event. I'm excited as hell to say the least. However we are trying to decide which one to go to, so I thought I would ask you guys what you thought would be a good choice.

Stuck
07-10-2005, 03:39 PM
Wimbledon is the "super bowl" of tennis, but very hard to get tickets to. I would pick in this order:

Wimbledon
Us Open
Austrailian open
French open

goober
07-10-2005, 03:53 PM
Since you live in the USA I would not go to the US Open. You will have many more chances to go to it later on. I would chose the Aussie open. Wimbledon has a lot of tradition but grass tennis doesn't excite me that much as a spectator.

My order would be
1. Aus
2. French
3. Wimbledon
4. US

Haka Boy
07-10-2005, 04:12 PM
You just have to go to the Aussie Open,

kv581
07-10-2005, 04:15 PM
AO would be a great tournament to go to, plus it would be during Aussie summer so you may be able to do other outdoor activities. For some reason, in recent years AO has produced some of the most memorable matches of that given year. Rebound Ace is an excellent neutral surface IMO; it really offers a viable playing ground for most playing styles. However, this could be the most expensive plane ticket of the four.

sedwickdotcom
07-10-2005, 04:17 PM
Wimbly
RG
AO
Us open
oh yeah and for a - ahem - mere $35000 american they could get a wimbledon debenture seat for you for 5 years!!!!!

efice32
07-10-2005, 04:19 PM
1. Wimbledon
2. Wimbledon
3. Wimbledon
4. Wimbledon
5. take a guess...

Go watch Roger win his 4th straight! Go Federer!

Boy Wonder
07-10-2005, 04:22 PM
Since you live in the USA I would not go to the US Open. You will have many more chances to go to it later on. I would chose the Aussie open. Wimbledon has a lot of tradition but grass tennis doesn't excite me that much as a spectator.

My order would be
1. Aus
2. French
3. Wimbledon
4. US

I agree with goober, except Wimbledon would replace the Aus. It depends really what kind of tennis you like. Australian Open will suit you if you like what kv581 has described. Though I like clay court tennis, I think the more lasting memory for me would be Wimbledon for it's rich tradition and all those things in tennis that you can only identify with Wimbledon.

divito
07-10-2005, 06:03 PM
I agree with goober also. Aus then French.

Richie Rich
07-10-2005, 06:34 PM
went to wimbledon twice and saw maybe 10 minutes of tennis - rained ALL the time!!

loved the us open and french. yet to go down under.

ACE of Hearts
07-10-2005, 06:49 PM
I been to the U.S Open on number of ocassions.I live in the city, so its much easier.Planning on getting my tickets soon.I agreed that Wimbledon is indeed the best.Here is my order

1Wimbledon
2U.S Open-much closer plus there are lots of things to do in the city
3AO
4French

driger
07-10-2005, 08:12 PM
the us open is without question the biggest of the slams. its played late in the tennis year(therefore usually decides whos #1 for the year), and on the most common tennis surface. but what the heck, i'd rather go to australia than new york. wimby is the oldest but way overrated. grass sucks, period. the french would be neat, also.

fist pump
07-10-2005, 08:52 PM
1.wimby
2.french
3.ao

on a budget --- US O

RafaN RichardG
07-10-2005, 08:59 PM
i think youll see the *most* tennis at the french.
i like wimbledon the most but the rain delays can be ridiculous
the us open is great to watch the night matches, as is the aussie.

youll probably get the most variety ay either the us open or the aussie, id go for the aussie, as it may be a once in a lifetime thing to go to AUS....and its really nice to travel far away.

kv581
07-10-2005, 09:03 PM
An additional advantage for AO: Rod Laver arena has a roof, which prevents annoying rain delays that occur so frequently at other slams.

hopeless
07-10-2005, 09:38 PM
1. Australia
2. French

Polaris
07-10-2005, 10:23 PM
Wow, I wish I could watch ONE match at any Slam. Doesn't look possible anytime soon, but here are my preferences:
1. Wimbledon
2. FO
3. AO
4. USO

No real preference between 3 and 4, but if you are in the US, its probably better to grab a chance to go to Australia :) . I don't know about you, but I haven't even set foot on a grass court or a clay court, so that explains my first two preferences.

AndrewD
07-11-2005, 12:06 AM
The Australian Open might well be the most financially viable one of the three. If you go to the French you'll have to deal with the Euro and if you go to Wimbledon you'll have to deal with the British pound. 1 American dollar is basically worth 0.83 Euros. 1 American dollar is worth, roughly, 0.57 UK pence. However, 1 American dollar is worth 1.34 Australian dollars. So, you'll be able to save quite a bit on your accommodation, meals and everything else that you'd be spending money on while in Australia. Yes, the plane ticket is probably higher (not sure what it would be) but your 'incidentals' will be a lot lower than the other 2 options and significantly lower than in England.

Also worth bearing in mind that at the Australian Open you can

1. Buy a block of tickets to the finals (really only way to get to the final)
2. Walk up and buy a ticket at the gate each day of the tournament (up to the last 4 days) or buy from a ticket vendor in the city (no ballot system).
3. Buy a groundpass which is cheaper and allows you to see all matches except those on centre-court
4. Buy a centre-court ticket that lets you see all matches.
5. Stay cheaply due to the exchange rate in the heart of the city (Melbourne) and then have a leisurely 15-20 minute stroll the the courts. Always nice when you can remove the need for public transport in a foreign city.

Australia doesn't have the cultural significance of Europe or the UK but you're assured of better weather, a less crowded environment and the opportunity to travel cheaply interstate to see some of the world's best beaches (which might be a nice break after the Open and something nice for your mom).

Oh, otherwise, I'd recommend the French Open. That's where I met my girlfriend so it's definately my favourite of the 4.

bdawg
07-11-2005, 12:24 AM
I'm going to be graduating high school in 2006 and for a graduation present my parents are considering taking me to a Grand Slam event. I'm excited as hell to say the least. However we are trying to decide which one to go to, so I thought I would ask you guys what you thought would be a good choice.

go to Rolland Garros. You will be in Paris...

Also, take some time for yourself and play on red clay. come back and tell us what it's like

TEAMRAFA
07-11-2005, 10:21 AM
I would agree that probably the AO would be the best probably. Good matches, start of the year so everyone is kinda pumped up and wants to make a mark fast, the roof prevents rain, they speak English, good weather, etc. I was considering the French because the clay just makes for great matches all 2 weeks. Wimbledon is boring, expensive, and rainy. USO would be cool except the stadium is huge and it would be crazy crowded.

I gotta take into consideration school too... taking 2 weeks off isn't exactly not looked down upon...

TEAMRAFA
07-11-2005, 10:22 AM
go to Rolland Garros. You will be in Paris...

Also, take some time for yourself and play on red clay. come back and tell us what it's like

i have played on red clay at the TMC in houston. i wasn't able to slide. im so american...