PDA

View Full Version : Critique My Forehand

10sLifer
09-30-2011, 12:48 PM
Don't really play much anymore. To busy teaching. (Look excuses I am going to fit right in here) My forehand is definitely my least consistent stroke. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSI5ebpCK4k

LeeD
09-30-2011, 12:55 PM
You hit good enough, but you're too tense and trying to rip the ball, stiff and unyielding. For the speed of your groundies, which are very fast, you don't put enough spin to give you depth control.
Instead of thinking about form and power, you should think more about being more relaxed and hitting the ball with natural power.
Stiff as is, you tend to swing hard with your shoulders and arm, and forget to use the rest of your torso and legs thru the shot.
Of course, hitting a ball machine is tough, as you don't see the swing and followthru, so deeper and shorter balls are hard to read.
I think you're trying too hard to keep your right elbow dead straight. Relax and straighten it, it will find the correct angle.

DjokovicForTheWin
09-30-2011, 01:08 PM
I dunno, looks like he has plenty of topspin to me.

RoddickAce
09-30-2011, 01:11 PM
Are you a pro? That is an amazing forehand.

gregor.b
09-30-2011, 01:19 PM
Maybe when you are practicing,you should place a little more emphasis on the placement (I assume that is why the cones are there) and let it flow a little more relaxed.You will then get a far more consistent swing. Also,maybe get the takeback in a little earlier.That may help not to be so rushed.

q4short
09-30-2011, 01:22 PM
looks good!

I'm not sure how realistic this hitting practice is.. the ball feeds so consistently at such an easy strike zone and pace. Almost anyone can hit perfect forehands in these circumstances

10sLifer
09-30-2011, 01:24 PM
You hit good enough, but you're too tense and trying to rip the ball, stiff and unyielding. For the speed of your groundies, which are very fast, you don't put enough spin to give you depth control.
Instead of thinking about form and power, you should think more about being more relaxed and hitting the ball with natural power.
Stiff as is, you tend to swing hard with your shoulders and arm, and forget to use the rest of your torso and legs thru the shot.
Of course, hitting a ball machine is tough, as you don't see the swing and followthru, so deeper and shorter balls are hard to read.
I think you're trying too hard to keep your right elbow dead straight. Relax and straighten it, it will find the correct angle.

Thanks for the feedback Lee.

10sLifer
09-30-2011, 01:26 PM

I played a little club tennis in Germany but never had much pro aspiration. Seeing some very talented friends who were top national college players struggle cured me of that. Plus no dinero when that time came.

10sLifer
09-30-2011, 01:27 PM

Laugh Out Loud...because lol was to short.

10sLifer
09-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Maybe when you are practicing,you should place a little more emphasis on the placement (I assume that is why the cones are there) and let it flow a little more relaxed.You will then get a far more consistent swing. Also,maybe get the takeback in a little earlier.That may help not to be so rushed.

Yeah I could probably stand to take a little bit off it.

10sLifer
09-30-2011, 01:28 PM
looks good!

I'm not sure how realistic this hitting practice is.. the ball feeds so consistently at such an easy strike zone and pace. Almost anyone can hit perfect forehands in these circumstances

Really? I didn't feel like the stupid machine gave me the same ball twice!

TennisCoachFLA
09-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Buddy, your forehand is way too nice to even think about taking advice off of this forum from guys who see you hit from that video. Do NOT change a thing based on any advice given so far.

What matters is what your forehand does for you in an actual match and what your goals are. A guy at your level should only take advice from a highly rated coach who sees you hit in person and also knows all your playing style and goals.

Geez, don't even think about any changes anyone would give you based on a video like that. Thats a great way to mess your stroke up big time when you play your next match.

PrinceMoron
09-30-2011, 01:54 PM
Out of the 3 forehands I liked the straight down the middle best, followed by the inside out then cross court to the forehand. Probably because it looks more secure when the racket is ploughing thru the ball rather than whipping round the back.

With a more fluid set up I would go for whipped shots, but you look a little tense on set up so I would think slower and heavier straight thru the ball would suit you better. You look like you could hit the ball as hard as you want but are not getting the maximum return on the effort put in.

To be honest it is probably a little bit to do with the ball machine feed, they are often so low and a bit soft that you end up setting with the arm too straight and tight. Maybe a heavier frame would let you relax a little and smooth out the stroke.

dlesser13
09-30-2011, 02:54 PM
I love the night and day contrast of information/praise you have received for this thread and the other one you created. It's as if people are failing to realize you're the same player hitting two different strokes(Which are both very nice/advanced btw)

BirdWalkR
10-01-2011, 07:48 AM
You've got a scary fast forehand dude!1:27 crazy pace haha
btw i love how in the end your walking away an hit a great shot not even trying haha

ahuimanu
10-01-2011, 08:11 AM

Fully agree with the above noted assessment. I would only add getting lower and staying "online" thru the stroke. My quick read you need stay down low and thru the shot to engage your lower half. Think if you got stronger in the legs and midsection (core) you will find the stability in body and likewise your shots will be more consistent and you'll find the accuracy I think you're seeking. My forehand is also my problem area and for me its related to my footwork and closed stance (old schooler and getting older). Am working on opening my stance and when stuck out of position, striking the ball at the 4 or 5 o'clock to impart a little side spin (and additional dwell time) to finesse the ball back. Lastly, as LeeD noted, am also working on relaxing on the swing thru the ball and letting the "racquet" do the work. Once you figure it out, you'll find the ball doing very nice things across the court. Here is a clip that may help illustrate...Hope this helps...all the best in your improvement endeavors :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTjBXVQyiwg

DjokovicForTheWin
10-01-2011, 08:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTjBXVQyiwg

Looks like Fed is arming those balls in the slow rally. i.e. actively using pec muscles to swing the arm. Or am I wrong?

ahuimanu
10-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Looks like Fed is arming those balls in the slow rally. i.e. actively using pec muscles to swing the arm. Or am I wrong?

Fed's probably not using his best form during this warmup. However, the idea is to relax and let the racquet do the work (rather than muscling the ball). Think by staying loose you'll be able to generate the racquet head speed and get that "snap" at the point of contact to impart maximum pace and spin (=controlled power).

Friends who just came back from the USO marveled at how Fed would be so loose and just bludgeon the ball with extraordinary pace and control...

arche3
10-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Lol at some of the guys giving you advice. You hit a good ball and are a teaching pro. Why do you want hacks telling you about your fh?

dr325i
10-01-2011, 10:54 AM
looks good!

Can you record yourself with the same setup, please?

dozu
10-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Lol at some of the guys giving you advice. You hit a good ball and are a teaching pro. Why do you want hacks telling you about your fh?

especially Lee who is still sheepish about showing his FH lol.

10sLifer
10-02-2011, 01:55 AM

Just curious. This forum represents to me the public. You never know. After looking at it myself........I still get ahead of myself sometimes....my head pulls up just before contact to see whats going on.....and I would never have guessed my backswing goes back that far! Also I really believe that I am so right eye dominant that I struggle to get my body turned and see the ball out of the perriferrals of my left eye! SO open!

Timbo's hopeless slice
10-02-2011, 02:26 AM
you see, that looks nothing like the FUNdamentals vid..

Nice, clean, pretty flat and great directional control. Way better footwork too. Almost looks like two different players.

Cool!

yellow ball
10-02-2011, 06:05 AM
you should work more on your kinetic chain....that would help to improve your F.

Limpinhitter
10-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Don't really play much anymore. To busy teaching. (Look excuses I am going to fit right in here) My forehand is definitely my least consistent stroke. Thanks!

Big forehand, but, your upper body rotation and arm swing are disconnected rather than working together. That might explain your inconsistency. IMO, the reason for the disconnect is because you're swinging to hard with your arm which is moving too fast for your upper body rotation. Try relaxing your arm just a bit and keep the pace of your arm swing in sync with the pace of your upper body rotation. Let the mass of your upper body rotation, rather than racquet speed, be the primary source of your power. That should help your consistency and control.

sunof tennis
10-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Buddy, your forehand is way too nice to even think about taking advice off of this forum from guys who see you hit from that video. Do NOT change a thing based on any advice given so far.

What matters is what your forehand does for you in an actual match and what your goals are. A guy at your level should only take advice from a highly rated coach who sees you hit in person and also knows all your playing style and goals.

Geez, don't even think about any changes anyone would give you based on a video like that. Thats a great way to mess your stroke up big time when you play your next match.

I would agree with that. Did seem to me that it might help you just to relax a little more out there. Stroke is solid. You move your feet pretty well, just seems a little rushed.

split-step
10-10-2011, 03:05 PM

Umm, yeah that's a huge forehand. Reminds me of Serena's for some reason.

Fay
01-11-2012, 10:36 PM
I see bullet balls going across the net with a loud crack! Awesome! Very hard to hit perfectly when the camera is rolling. I'd like to have a stroke with that much power!