PDA

View Full Version : Forehands

D-A-C
09-30-2011, 01:37 PM
Me hitting forehands, any constructive comments?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0vnBeuvgjc

MarinaHighTennis
09-30-2011, 01:46 PM
Not bad... it looks much better than mine

dozu
09-30-2011, 02:50 PM
arm city.

every 'look at my FH' thread has the same problem lol.

SStrikerR
09-30-2011, 03:27 PM
arm city.

every 'look at my FH' thread has the same problem lol.

Well you have to understand that most rec players think that tighter grip and more arm = more power. The solution is to point them in the right direction to tips or drills to correct the problem.

Anyway, not a bad forehand in general. Yes it's not perfect, but your swing shouldn't be hard to improve since its not bad.

D-A-C
09-30-2011, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the comments so far.

I know I need to relax more, not to try and muscle the ball and get more hip rotation

My problem has come from playing squash for a long time during my teens, which is a totally different swing with more wist, but I am working on improving all the time.

Up&comer
09-30-2011, 04:43 PM
Also try to get a more consistent contact point. You tend to catch it in a slightly different spot every time.

Blee1613
10-04-2011, 02:47 PM
One thing is, Don't shut your racket face to fast. For example at 0:16 and 0:50 you're not following through all the way.

limitup
10-04-2011, 02:53 PM
Also you have a pretty weird hitch/delay in your backswing. I would definitely get rid of that as there is no benefit and it can only lead to inconsistency.

LeeD
10-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Looks fine for 3.5 thru weak 4.0.
I don't think it's all arms because you turn your torso all the way to the left on the followthru, and start out closed stance. That's a huge torso turn.
Biggest flaw I see is that you almost always move back to hit the ball, then move forwards, only to move back again.
Try to stand in and hit a few on the rise, you can't retreat on EVERY deep forehand you hit.
Of course, a little inconsistent on height control, but if that's your level, you're doing OK on that side.

firstblud
10-04-2011, 03:13 PM
i'm still a lowbie but i can't see how it's "arm city"... i see he's turning his hips/shoulders

Maui19
10-04-2011, 04:17 PM
I also don't think it is "arm city" by any means. I agree that you back up way too much. You are giving your opponent too much time and hitting from much deeper in the court than you need to.

TennisCJC
10-04-2011, 05:06 PM
looks good. Finish your shoulder rotation so your front shoulder points almost at the other fence - your chest will be pointing at the L side fence, and your elbow will be up, and your racket tip will be pointing behind your.

You are cutting the shoulder rotation short and going into a WW follow thru a bit early. By driving the shoulder thru, you will get more power and control. The WW follow thru may start a little later in your stroke. I would guess you were taught to do the WW to keep the strings pointing toward the net - don't do that. Rotate the shoulder thru more.

fuzzyyellowballs.com has examples of Djoko doing this. His WW pronation start later in the stroke after he rotates the shoulder more thru the contact zone. His chest is pointing toward L fence: http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/pro-stroke-library/novak-djokovic/

You cannot do this all the time such as when you are late or running wide. But, when setup; rotate smoothly thru the contact zone for more pop.

Just my opinion.

You have a good forehand and I think this will help.

dozu
10-04-2011, 05:11 PM
well, maybe not arm city.... call it arm town.

it's not the most severe case of arming the ball.... but the body language still tells that the arm is not passive enough.

D-A-C
10-05-2011, 04:09 AM
Thank you everyone for the comments! Plenty to work on for sure!

dozu
10-05-2011, 04:19 AM
part of the reason that I got the arm-city impression, was that after the left hand separates from the racket, your 2 arms are extended away from each other, almost forming a straight line between them..... this is very hackerish looking lol.

FYB has some FH videos, and the 'standard' position after the left hand lets go, is for the left arm to extend PARALLEL to the baseline while the right arm drops down.

The purpose of doing this is not to look less hackerish :)

it actually promotes a better connection between the core and the hitting arm, so the core is still quite closed while the racket drops.

if the left arm extends towards the target too early, that means your body opens up too early and leaving the hitting arm orphaned behind you.

This maybe a lot of techie mumble jumble.... I'd still like you to try L&R's drill of passive arm swinging around a rotating core, this will give you the right sensation, without worry about too many body part positions.

D-A-C
10-05-2011, 04:30 AM
Hi Dozu, I understand exactly what you mean so thank you for the helpful comments.

mightyrick
10-05-2011, 04:37 AM
RELAX.

But aside from tightness in the stroke, this is the proper way to hit a (mild/full/extreme) Eastern forehand. Sometimes, you finish over the shoulder, sometimes you wipe. For Eastern holders, the finish usually depends on where you are making contact.

I really like the way you let the ball drop. That allows you to get even more topspin. I'd like to have seen some high forehands, though. Maybe chest high. Also, I'd like to have seen you try to take a few early. Maybe on the rise.

D-A-C
10-05-2011, 06:13 AM
When I got the opportunity I will try and video some more taking on board the comments made and see if there are any imrpovements.

All the comments so far have be greatly received and I am so glad no trolls have commented simply saying your forehand is sh*t.

papa
10-05-2011, 07:20 AM
Well, I certainly don't like to see a player backing up on every shot - its a common problem that can be fairly easily corrected by placing a rope/anything behind the player so they instantly realize what they are doing.

The problem I'd work on is watching the ball into the racquet - although its difficult to see your eyes, your head doesn't move sideways at all which is generally a pretty good indication that your not following the ball long enough. If your hitting against a ball machine, you can get away with this but against an opponent who hits a variety of ground strokes your going to do a lot of mis-hitting.

Limpinhitter
10-05-2011, 07:41 AM
Me hitting forehands, any constructive comments?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0vnBeuvgjc

IMO, you are artificially manipulating (forcing) your WW motion with too much forearm pronation and wrist roll, and not enough internal shoulder rotation. The WW motion should be as much, or more, ISR as forearm pronation.

You can accomplish that by raising your elbow in the follow through (beginning at contact), so that your elbow is pointing to the top of the far fence on the follow through. That will automatically engage ISR and make it unecessary to manipulate your wrist and forearm to create a WW motion.

You could also use more upper body rotation and less arm swing. A ratio of 50/50 between UBR and arm swing is a good reference. In your video, you're at about 25/75. Two benchmarks to use to make sure you are turning enough are: (1) start by extending your left arm out parallel to the baseline on your takeback with your chest facing the side fence, and (2) as you swing, turn toward the target and continue turning so that your raised elbow is past your line of vision in the finish. The arm and UBR should be executed together as one piece.

sunof tennis
10-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Looks fine for 3.5 thru weak 4.0.
I don't think it's all arms because you turn your torso all the way to the left on the followthru, and start out closed stance. That's a huge torso turn.
Biggest flaw I see is that you almost always move back to hit the ball, then move forwards, only to move back again.
Try to stand in and hit a few on the rise, you can't retreat on EVERY deep forehand you hit.
Of course, a little inconsistent on height control, but if that's your level, you're doing OK on that side.

I noticed that too. The swing is fine. As LeeD. suggests, try to move in on some balls in practice and work on hitting them on the rise. Two ways of taking time away from your oppenent, hit harder or take it earlier.
Good luck!