PDA

View Full Version : Help me improve

MarinaHighTennis
09-30-2011, 04:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fXmYazIjZg&feature=channel_video_title

Looking for improvement (especially footwork and backhand). But hope I improved from my last video where I was dubbed 3.5.
at 3:10 I start using a wooden racket

video being processed with edited better lighting

LuckyR
09-30-2011, 04:57 PM
As many, many folks have posted over the years: no one can tell much watching someone hit balls that they don't care about. You need to post matchplay footage. The one exception is serves.

user92626
09-30-2011, 04:58 PM
Gotta be tiring to restrict your arm like that.

Just relax, take a good shoulder turn, then extend both arms out and take a big swing at the ball. Work a rhythm so that you coordinate things better. Don't be afraid to do a big and large and speedy swing. It may feel unfamiliar at first, like you might lose track of the racket movement or something.

You're only using a stick with a flat surface to wack an object back and forth for fun. Don't think it as something terribly technical that you have to twist and cramp your body for :)

MarinaHighTennis
09-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Gotta be tiring to restrict your arm like that.

Just relax, take a good shoulder turn, then extend both arms out and take a big swing at the ball. Work a rhythm so that you coordinate things better. Don't be afraid to do a big and large and speedy swing. It may feel unfamiliar at first, like you might lose track of the racket movement or something.

You're only using a stick with a flat surface to wack an object back and forth for fun. Don't think it as something terribly technical that you have to twist and cramp your body for :)
dang... that bad? :oops:
but my arm feels fine

MarinaHighTennis
09-30-2011, 05:01 PM
As many, many folks have posted over the years: no one can tell much watching someone hit balls that they don't care about. You need to post matchplay footage. The one exception is serves.

I'll try next week

user92626
09-30-2011, 05:09 PM
dang... that bad? :oops:

No, not that bad. (It's up to you to see what's bad or good). You just appear as being too careful, too mindful with the swing. You take short and careful, almost slap like swing using mostly forearm to hit the ball. :)

MarinaHighTennis
09-30-2011, 05:12 PM
No, not that bad. (It's up to you to see what's bad or good). You just appear as being too careful, too mindful with the swing. You take short and careful, almost slap like swing using mostly forearm to hit the ball. :)

Well I'd call myself a defensive player but is it bad to hit with the forearm? I used to hit with a straight arm but I play with more spin and consistency like this.

BaboFan
09-30-2011, 05:26 PM
Good result but ugly strokes bc you tuck in that elbow

user92626
09-30-2011, 05:39 PM
Well I'd call myself a defensive player but is it bad to hit with the forearm? I used to hit with a straight arm but I play with more spin and consistency like this.

If you use a compact swing, your consistency is gonna improve alot. But the cost is power. I see that you use your body into the shot fairly well. That's good. Anyway, if you like to play offensive, rip big shots as far as your strength allows, learn to raise/extend your arms -- imagine how big a circle you can cover, no shot can escape your reach -- keep your racket high, full take back, giving you a very large strike zone.

user92626
09-30-2011, 05:48 PM

Hi lucky,

Why would matchplay important? You don't necessarily have a good matchplay stroke but still win lots, cuz experience, match savvy counts for alot more than techniques as far as rec, club tennis go, right? On the same token, you can have a very technically sound stroke but do horribly in matches due to lack of experience, fitness, mindset, whatnot,... So?

MarinaHighTennis
09-30-2011, 06:07 PM
Thanks for your tips I will definitely try that when going for a big shot. How is my footwork? People say that I move too much not like a tennis player but like a rabbit.

SoBad
09-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Footwork looks good, you look very light on your feet. Any appearance of excessive movement is better than laziness. Have some faith in your tennis skills and own ability to learn.

10sLifer
09-30-2011, 09:47 PM

Looking for improvement (especially footwork and backhand). But hope I improved from my last video where I was dubbed 3.5.

You have what I like to call T_Rex syndrome. Despite all the talk you will here about the forearm and wrist the most important link in tennis is from the shoulder to the elbow. Go watch some vids of any great forehand player and watch this link always allow the elbow to finish up higher at contact or right after, not way after like you are doing it. The elbow goes up at ninety degrees which is too steep to hit a penetrating ball. The shoulder lifts at forty five degrees which is more out and less up.

hmm that's the best I can explain it sorry.

I actually like your backhand a little better than your forehand. If this is how your practices go though maybe you just like your forehand more because your hitting three times as many. Just a thought.

MarinaHighTennis
09-30-2011, 10:10 PM
You have what I like to call T_Rex syndrome. Despite all the talk you will here about the forearm and wrist the most important link in tennis is from the shoulder to the elbow. Go watch some vids of any great forehand player and watch this link always allow the elbow to finish up higher at contact or right after, not way after like you are doing it. The elbow goes up at ninety degrees which is too steep to hit a penetrating ball. The shoulder lifts at forty five degrees which is more out and less up.

hmm that's the best I can explain it sorry.

I actually like your backhand a little better than your forehand. If this is how your practices go though maybe you just like your forehand more because your hitting three times as many. Just a thought.
I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded area. You mean extend/lift the elbow? I usually run around my backhand because my favorite shot is the inside-out forehand (even though I missed a few)

edit: watched your video I understand now

10sLifer
09-30-2011, 10:20 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded area. You mean extend/lift the elbow? I usually run around my backhand because my favorite shot is the inside-out forehand (even though I missed a few)

Stand with your arm hanging by your side. First lift your forearm from your elbow. You will see that the hand very quickly starts coming back towards the body. Now lift your arm from your shoulder and you will see that your hand goes forward Towards the target/not as steep) for much longer. Although you will sometimes swing straight up at 90 degrees (when you are in trouble/late or hitting short angles) your rally ball and driving shots should be much more from the shoulder. Although you might have to make some other adjustments to get it to work. Be a scientist, go experiment and get those elbows lifting!

q4short
10-01-2011, 02:42 AM
Sup man, I agree with some of the FH comments.. When I watch watching, I was thinking that your FH has a small take back and u literally hit mainly with your forearm and body. In other words you're kinda flipping the racket more than swinging it. Your forearm might not be hurting now, but as u play with heavier hitters and make contact late, it'll getcha. I see u Get ready early, but putting it back and waiting takes away from the fluidity. Last thing, u seem very dependent on the topspin. Work on flat shots as well, they make way better approach shots and that feel will help transition into the feels for volleys

dozu
10-01-2011, 07:09 AM
go to L&R 's home page and watch his video about how the arm passively swing around the body when the body turns.

L&R is a very good model to copy.... that should build your FH to a decent shot.

there are many other areas to improve... but fixing the FH is the lowest hanging fruit right now :)

vincent_tennis
10-01-2011, 07:30 AM
has the video been sped up? :S

MarinaHighTennis
10-01-2011, 09:45 AM
has the video been sped up? :S

Thanks for the comments everyone but the video is not sped up. You must be referring to my bouncing too much.

It seems that my forehand form is the problem. Does it give a disadvantage? I feel fine BC I turn my body. But next week ill post a video of changes.

Thanks everyone! (Am I still 3.5?)

MarinaHighTennis
10-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Sup man, I agree with some of the FH comments.. When I watch watching, I was thinking that your FH has a small take back and u literally hit mainly with your forearm and body. In other words you're kinda flipping the racket more than swinging it. Your forearm might not be hurting now, but as u play with heavier hitters and make contact late, it'll getcha. I see u Get ready early, but putting it back and waiting takes away from the fluidity. Last thing, u seem very dependent on the topspin. Work on flat shots as well, they make way better approach shots and that feel will help transition into the feels for volleys

Thanks I use flats since I found it difficult to use topspin until I got this racket. Now I use topspin too much LOL. About my forehand it looks as if there is a hitch due to the early preparation. I should get a video of me vs kevin young during winter.

BaboFan
10-02-2011, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone but the video is not sped up. You must be referring to my bouncing too much.

It seems that my forehand form is the problem. Does it give a disadvantage? I feel fine BC I turn my body. But next week ill post a video of changes.

Its up to you if you want to change it.
ask yourself these questions: is it a weapon? Is it a weakness? Does it mess up my arm? Can I compete with high level people with that forehand? If I play fine with this should I change? I'd say if a majority of ppl or your friends say you should change it, change it. If not don't change its all up to you.

rkelley
10-03-2011, 12:03 AM

Since you asked . . .

It looks like you have the basic swing path down, but you're abbreviating many aspects of the stroke. You need to take the racquet back more, stretch out that left arm parallel to the base line all the way, your upper arm is kind of pinned next to your body - there needs to be some daylight, the racquet needs to swing out more towards the target before you start your WW motion.

One of the biggest things is that the swing isn't starting when the racquet's still pointing up during the take back - at the top of the "C". After you take the racquet back you really bring it down low and then begin your forward swing. The affect of this is that you're really pushing the racquet at the ball with a fairly short backswing. You're not getting any whipping action of the racquet into the ball.

Go look at Tipsarevic's forehand (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13N2TOH7Kwg). Ash turned us on to this guy's forehand and I really think it's a great stroke to imitate. It has all of the important parts of a high level forehand with none of the idosycrasies of some pro's forehands. Look at his back swing, left arm position, the nice loop the racquet makes, no arms pinned to the body, nice WW motion and finish over the shoulder. Compare your stroke to his.

MarinaHighTennis
10-03-2011, 09:50 AM
Yesterday I played some doubles and I was testing out a straight ArM shot. I had a lot of power but it felt too wild, as if I wasn't in control of my shot. Also it was harder to place my shots and to be consistent when I changed my stroke. Snapping at the ball really increases pace but it feels again too wild.

Should I keep my normal stroke but when I go for a big shot change to straight arm?

rkelley
10-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Yesterday I played some doubles and I was testing out a straight ArM shot. I had a lot of power but it felt too wild, as if I wasn't in control of my shot. Also it was harder to place my shots and to be consistent when I changed my stroke. Snapping at the ball really increases pace but it feels again too wild.

Should I keep my normal stroke but when I go for a big shot change to straight arm?

You should have one basic stroke that allows you to hit whatever shot you want, more topspin, flatter, etc. Your arm doesn't need to be straight a la Federer, but it should be way more extended than it is. Whatever you change, however, it's going to be really hard to implement any change playing matches, especially doubles. First spend some time shadow swinging and get the basic feeling down. Then go to wall, ball machine, or someone feeding you balls and try to implement the new form. Once you're feeling grooved there then start to rally with a friend. Don't be shy about continuing to shadow swing and going back to the ball machine/wall/feeding to reinforce the change.

For a change this big, if you just try to implement it in a match you're unlikely to be successful with it, even if it is a substantial improvement over your current technique. You need to give yourself time to unlearn the old and learn the new.

I made a change this year, around January, to a modern forehand swing path from a more traditional, flatish, catch the racquet out front forehand. My old forehand was actually pretty good. I could pound the ball and give good players trouble with the pace, but I couldn't hit it really hard when the ball was lower because I didn't have enough topspin to keep it in. Consistency was also an issue even with higher balls because I didn't have a lot of margin for error.

I started hitting with a guy that used to play 5.0 tourneys and that really drove the issue home. I just could not hang with him. He could get massive amounts of pace and action on the ball on every shot. He could absolutely murder high balls. If I nailed one at him and got it in it would give him problems, but he was hitting as hard as me with better net clearance, more consistency, and more overall action on the ball.

Once I decided to change it probably took me a couple of weeks to not just spray every other ball. My forehand took a significant step backwards, but every once in a while I'd hit one right and and I could really feel the difference. It took me a couple of months to get "OK" with it. Now, after ten months, I'm really seeing the payoff. I can go for high pace shots regardless of where the ball is. I can put way more topspin on the ball and vary the amount of topspin depending on situation and the shot I'm trying to hit. Hitting with this same guy I'm able to hang with him forehand to forehand.

I'm still working on making sure my takeback is consistent, my balance is correct, etc., but I'd say it's more there than not. I'm certainly not the most talented player on the planet (and I'm old) and maybe you can make the change faster than me, but nevertheless I'd say that one set of doubles probably isn't enough to make a judgement.

gmatheis
10-03-2011, 03:43 PM

As said, hard to tell with just a hitting session ... really need match play.

however that said ... I think 3.5 is a little too low ... more like 4.0

10-03-2011, 06:54 PM

You don't have to go all the way to a straight arm Fh, but maybe somewhere in between where you are and the strt arm.
Yes, you short arm it a little, but I think with more time on court you will loosen that up naturally; especially if you know you need to move that way some with your stroke.
I think you have a good base to grow with.

JDMasFCK
10-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Looks great, keep up the good work! :D

MarinaHighTennis
10-03-2011, 07:05 PM
You don't have to go all the way to a straight arm Fh, but maybe somewhere in between where you are and the strt arm.
Yes, you short arm it a little, but I think with more time on court you will loosen that up naturally; especially if you know you need to move that way some with your stroke.
I think you have a good base to grow with.

Thank you everybody. I also found that my movement and footwork doesn't go well with a straight arm. I'll try to clarify but it feels awkward moving the way I do (maybe more knee bend?). But thanks everyone, you've given me a lot to think about. Playing tennis today I asked several people about my game and they termed it as aggressive counterpuncher saying, "I hit moderately most of the time with some power shots" (I always tell myself 70% and just hit a solid ball every time)

BaboFan
10-03-2011, 07:57 PM
Thank you everybody. I also found that my movement and footwork doesn't go well with a straight arm. I'll try to clarify but it feels awkward moving the way I do (maybe more knee bend?). But thanks everyone, you've given me a lot to think about. Playing tennis today I asked several people about my game and they termed it as aggressive counterpuncher saying, "I hit moderately most of the time with some power shots" (I always tell myself 70% and just hit a solid ball every time)

I can see that with that abbreviated stroke but I think your shots are fine (not saying strokes) since you can hit deep and consistently with a wooden racket.

Limpinhitter
10-03-2011, 08:52 PM

There is more than one way to skin a cat. I like your forehand. I think you've got excellent touch control and feel for the ball. From the beginning of your forward swing with your closed racquet face, it looks very Nadal'ish. You don't have the big circular windup Nadal uses. But, IMO, Nadal's windup is a waste becaue he starts with a big circle, but then abandons the circular swing path and re-sets his racquet with the racquet facing down, exactly the way you do at the beginning of your forward swing.

My only suggestion is that you might want to set up about 6" further away from the ball and give your arm more room to swing freely. For now, you're setting up too close to the ball and your swing is a bit cramped.

Timbo's hopeless slice
10-03-2011, 10:36 PM
it almost looks like you have the butt of the racquet stuck in your shorts pocket sometimes...

I agree with Limpin, you have a really good feel for the ball and your BH looks really nice, but you will do well to free up that arm on your FH

good luck!

MarinaHighTennis
10-03-2011, 10:56 PM
it almost looks like you have the butt of the racquet stuck in your shorts pocket sometimes...

I agree with Limpin, you have a really good feel for the ball and your BH looks really nice, but you will do well to free up that arm on your FH

good luck!

Thanks for the comments I will work on it. I wont go straight arm BC I'm too comfortable playing like this but ill try to be more fluid. BTW thanks timbo!

BaboFan
10-03-2011, 11:05 PM

good luck!

Says the one who dubbed thee 3.5 lol. We should rate people badly then have them work their butt off to come back a level higher. Its good for the game. That's what I do to my students.

LuckyR
10-04-2011, 09:21 AM
Hi lucky,

Why would matchplay important? You don't necessarily have a good matchplay stroke but still win lots, cuz experience, match savvy counts for alot more than techniques as far as rec, club tennis go, right? On the same token, you can have a very technically sound stroke but do horribly in matches due to lack of experience, fitness, mindset, whatnot,... So?

I was not refering to wins vs losses (which could be because of various factors, as you mention). My point is that watching someone hit random balls that they don't care about tells you... little to nothing since they likely don't use the same strokes in matchplay (which, after all is what tennis is).

I am not trying to overly complicate the issue with tactics, stamina etc. I consider those constants, not variables for the sake of this thread.

Timbo's hopeless slice
10-04-2011, 02:48 PM
Says the one who dubbed thee 3.5 lol. We should rate people badly then have them work their butt off to come back a level higher. Its good for the game. That's what I do to my students.

I still think he's 3.5 - 4.0, where did you get the idea I thought that had changed? Also bear in mind it is a good long while since his first video was filmed and the improvement is noticeable. I still think our young friend needs more racquet head speed, but he's going along nicely IMHO

MarinaHighTennis
10-04-2011, 03:05 PM
I still think he's 3.5 - 4.0, where did you get the idea I thought that had changed? Also bear in mind it is a good long while since his first video was filmed and the improvement is noticeable. I still think our young friend needs more racquet head speed, but he's going along nicely IMHO

Can you help me to the next level? What do I need to do? I want to be at least 4.5. I feel my baseline and net game as consistent and solid but Hopefully this upcoming Friday I will show a match

BaboFan
10-04-2011, 03:31 PM

I believe that he has areas where needs to improve but I would have called him 4.0 at least BC I've watched him beat a boy who is a 2/3 star recruit.

Timbo's hopeless slice
10-04-2011, 03:31 PM
Ok, fair enough, and you surely agree his play now is quite different form the first video?

OP, Free up your arms so you can hit the ball harder, basically...

BaboFan
10-04-2011, 03:36 PM
Ok, fair enough, and you surely agree his play now is quite different form the first video?

OP, Free up your arms so you can hit the ball harder, basically...

By his first video I'd call him a 3.0 but the improvements good. Hitting harder is key but your footwork needs to be smooth out a bit. Also the op runs straight legged so he needs to bend his knees more. The player on the other side is inconsistent though(same Guy as first video?)

user92626
10-04-2011, 06:05 PM
I was not refering to wins vs losses (which could be because of various factors, as you mention). My point is that watching someone hit random balls that they don't care about tells you... little to nothing since they likely don't use the same strokes in matchplay (which, after all is what tennis is).

I am not trying to overly complicate the issue with tactics, stamina etc. I consider those constants, not variables for the sake of this thread.

Actually, you complicated the issue by asking for matchplay hitting in the first place. Like you said, other factors unnecessarily interfere. I'm the one who uncomplicated things by looking at just the stroke, the potential, free of unnecessary interferences and nontopical issues. :)