PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop Biomimetic 400 Tour

srvnvly
10-02-2011, 07:57 AM
Are you going to bring in this, and the other new Biomimetic racquets? If yes, do you have an ETA?

srvnvly
10-03-2011, 07:53 PM
I see the new stix are up for presale now.

mario58
10-21-2011, 11:54 AM
I got and just strung it up. Put leather grip on and overgrip.

weight is 12.20

10 points head light

will hit to day to see if it needs some lead tape as this racket is easy to customize

Any one else played with the 400 tour yet, interested in string jobs

marius

athiker
01-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Hi TW...just wanted to let you know there seems to be typo and/or math error on the 400T review page.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/reviews/DB4H/DB4Hreview.html

The only thing Mark scored as a 9 was Maneuverability, all else was rated lower, yet his Overall score is listed as 9! It appears that 9 was used in the average to give a playtester group overall score of 84.

It looks like Marks overall score should actually 85 and the group overall score should be 82?

I help maintain a website too so not getting on anyone's case, easy to miss things, but just thought I'd let you know.

TW Staff
01-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Each playtester's overall score isn't an average of his/her other scores, rather each tester's overall score is his/her overall perception of the racquet. So the overall scores likely will not compute if all their scores are averaged.

However, the overall reviews scores (listed in the blue headlines and score box on top) are averages of all the testers scores.

Hope that didn't confuse matters further.

Thanks,
Tiffani, TW

athiker
01-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Yes it did...confuse me further. :)

So Mark rated one out of 12 attributes a 9.0 and 11 attributes between 8.0 and 8.8 and yet rated the racquet overall a 9.0?

The other 3 playtesters, if you average their scores turn out to equal their ovrall rating (actually for Spencer it takes rounding up)...which could be math related or just logical given they gave an overall score in line with their 12 data points. I gotta say it makes the Mark thing look like a mistake but I'll take your word for it!

diredesire
01-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Yes it did...confuse me further. :)

So Mark rated one out of 12 attributes a 9.0 and 11 attributes between 8.0 and 8.8 and yet rated the racquet overall a 9.0?

The other 3 playtesters, if you average their scores turn out to equal their ovrall rating (actually for Spencer it takes rounding up)...which could be math related or just logical given they gave an overall score in line with their 12 data points. I gotta say it makes the Mark thing look like a mistake but I'll take your word for it!

Here's an example where the above makes more sense:

You playtest a frame, and it's EXTREMELY low powered. When you give a power rating, is a 10 high powered, or "exactly how you like it"?

Lets say you rate it a 5/10 on power (since it's low). However, let's also say your ideal racquet power level is something along the lines of a 6/10. When you give your overall impression of a racquet, should you drag the overall rating down because you averaged in a 5/10 compared to the rest of your ratings? It's very subjective either way, so I accept wonky averages ;)

athiker
01-09-2012, 03:20 PM
I don't want to turn this into a "thing" but...

Diredesire, I can completely see what you are saying for an attribute like Power. Makes sense. Unfortunately for the case at hand I don't think that scenario works as well for all or nearly all of the other 11 attributes. No one wants a 6 for example in the Serve, Groundstroke, Slice, Volley, Returns, Stability and Comfort categories...I don't think so at least. Control and Touch/Feel categories would be stretch too I think. Maneuverability might be similar to Power so I could maybe see that one. So I think it could be an explanation for power (btw...rated 8.5 by Mark) but not much else.

Its not a biggee, and like I say I don't want this to turn into a "thing"...I just happened to notice while looking over the review and thought I'd bring it to TW's attention. I know its a big job constantly putting up new content, updating old content and keeping errors at bay. I don't think either way its going to impact TW's sales for 2012!

However, in the video Mark did say he liked the racquet a lot and could even transition to it with some mods so maybe his individual scores reflect stock and his overall scores reflect the racquet's potential that he sees...recognizing its a 9.0 racquet for the right person or the "bones" of a 9.0 racquet for modding for him. I'll leave it at that. Thanks for the responses.

diredesire
01-09-2012, 04:07 PM
I don't want to turn this into a "thing" but...

Diredesire, I can completely see what you are saying for an attribute like Power. Makes sense. Unfortunately for the case at hand I don't think that scenario works as well for all or nearly all of the other 11 attributes. No one wants a 6 for example in the Serve, Groundstroke, Slice, Volley, Returns, Stability and Comfort categories...I don't think so at least. Control and Touch/Feel categories would be stretch too I think. Maneuverability might be similar to Power so I could maybe see that one. So I think it could be an explanation for power (btw...rated 8.5 by Mark) but not much else.

Its not a biggee, and like I say I don't want this to turn into a "thing"...I just happened to notice while looking over the review and thought I'd bring it to TW's attention. I know its a big job constantly putting up new content, updating old content and keeping errors at bay. I don't think either way its going to impact TW's sales for 2012!

However, in the video Mark did say he liked the racquet a lot and could even transition to it with some mods so maybe his individual scores reflect stock and his overall scores reflect the racquet's potential that he sees...recognizing its a 9.0 racquet for the right person or the "bones" of a 9.0 racquet for modding for him. I'll leave it at that. Thanks for the responses.

Open discussion is always good! I was just trying to justify why a racquet could end up rated different (higher) than your initial comments. I've done this before on string reviews, and I've always felt some conflict when posting my scores, but overall package sometimes is very different than the sum of all parts.