PDA

View Full Version : Professional Tennis

zAllianceBmx
07-10-2005, 06:55 PM
Do most pros come from wealthy families?

There has always been a trend of people who turn pro at an age of 16-19. The way i see it. you usually dont see anyone turn pro after or during college which is at an age of 18-22 about.

Ive been told that professionals come from wealthy families because they dont need to go to college and just play tennis all the time. They make the decision to not go to college and make it to the pro level. but if they dont make it to the pro level. they still have enough money in the end to live pretty decent.

Then there is the path of going to college to play tennis because they cannot afford to take the risk of not turning professional to compete.

And also, are there any top pros who went to college and came out to compete fairly well?

so yea. do a majority of the pros come from wealthy families?

ACE of Hearts
07-10-2005, 06:57 PM
I dont know, maybe its true.Especially with the country clubs :mrgreen: ,well the exception cant be maded with the Williams sisters.They camed from Compton Cali.

zAllianceBmx
07-10-2005, 06:59 PM
playing at clubs costs a lot of money. and tournament entry fees stack up in the usta. turning pro seems like it would be a tough thing to do considering with skill, you need money. a lot of money.

hotcoffee
07-10-2005, 07:08 PM
And also, are there any top pros who went to college and came out to compete fairly well?

If I'm not mistaken James Blake competed at Harvard before he turned pro.

hummer23
07-10-2005, 07:09 PM
If I'm not mistaken James Blake competed at Harvard before he turned pro.

yes i think that true. i remember during one of his matches a few years bakc, they wer joking about him dropping out of harvard as a great carrer move.

Stuck
07-10-2005, 07:37 PM
Johnny Mac went to Stanford, Todd Martin North Western, Bryan Bros Stanford; ther have been several pros that went to college

Turning Pro
07-11-2005, 06:17 AM
How about Younes el Aynaoui,i heard he turned pro at 19 when he started playing in america at age 18.he spent 2 years making smalls strides in the challenger curcuit before breaking through when he was 20 in a atp tourny where he reached the 4th round and beat the likes of thomas muster.

Ben42
07-11-2005, 06:35 AM
A number of top pros went to college, but I can only think of Todd Martin as one who actually went long enough to graduate. Seems like if you aren't winning on tour by age 20 that you just aren't going to be a top pro. Maybe you get to be top 100 or maybe even top 50 if you're a late bloomer, but not higher.

Kevin Patrick
07-11-2005, 08:20 AM
Martin didn't graduate. I believe Pat McEnroe & Paul Haarhuis are the only top 50(maybe even top 100) players of the last 15 years that have college degrees.