PDA

View Full Version : Not afraid to lose

drp2345
07-10-2005, 08:26 PM
I read in the new Tennis Magazine that "Professional tennis players hate to lose, but they are not afraid of it." Can someone please ellaborate on this.

GOOOOOGA
07-10-2005, 08:44 PM
if u play to just "not lose", ur lacking the killer instinct. because pros have a hunger to win, anything short of that is failure. and failure to them is horrible- so they hate to lose. yet, if they playd not to lose, then theyd wouldn't be playing to WIN. if ur not playing to win, u'll lose. and, again, losing is failure for pros.

i confused myself up there ^. sry if it came across kinda weird.

Grimjack
07-10-2005, 08:47 PM
Hatred of losing = motivational factor; drives one to increased performance; makes you play better

Fear of losing = detrimental factor; forces one to play timidly; causes "choking"

ATXtennisaddict
07-10-2005, 09:43 PM
That's my brand of game right there. For anything I do.

The Ripper
07-10-2005, 11:02 PM
I have been getting run around (and beat!) lately by dinkers on a tennis ladder who don't take full strokes and volley as if we were playing badminton.

Hating to lose first made me try to play their game - playing "carefully," hitting some junk shots and losing anyway. After my third loss on the other day, I realized I was playing scared. I now plan to hit the very best, hardest, well placed ball I can on every shot and enforce my game, even if it takes a few games, sets or matches to pound winners out of all those floaters. I would rather lose fighting to play my game than lose trying to adapt to theirs. This sounds so obvious yet even the pro's get pulled out of their groove and rhythm.

It feels a lot better to win!!