PDA

View Full Version : No more excuses when posting videos!

christos_liaskos
10-04-2011, 06:51 AM
Just a little gripe of mine (well actually quite a big one!). It just seems pointless to me for people to be posting videos of themselves asking for advice on their game when they always post a disclaimer stating 'such and such a reason' for not being in their best form.

Well you know what? If you're not going to do it properly, and show us clips of yourselves on your best form then dont bother posting at all.

I think maybe the people that do this could actually improve their games many times over by concentrating on their attitude (the one that makes them come up with excuses all the time) rather than the technical side of their game. Sure their technical side could do with some improvement, but theyre already not making the most of what they due to their negative, excuse-making attitudes. I can imagine it right now. Every time they come off court they will have some reason or excuse as to why they lost.

Anyways, rant over :)

EDIT:
Just to give some examples of the type of excuses I mean in case anyone is a bit confused by my post. Statements such as;

"I'm not giving everything in my video as I had a match the next day so I was saving myself for that".

" I had just finished a 3 hour training session (haha yeh right!) so by the point that I made the video I was fried!" - perfect example! why didn't you get your camera out at the start!

"i hadn't warmed up properly during the video so wasn't on top form"

etc etc etc....to be fair these things really do make me LOL

dozu
10-04-2011, 07:21 AM
thumbs up for this post.

however, those who actually posted videos still deserve some credit... many others, go on and on with this and that problem.... these people don't deserve any help.

TTMR
10-04-2011, 07:26 AM
Just a little gripe of mine (well actually quite a big one!). It just seems pointless to me for people to be posting videos of themselves asking for advice on their game when they always post a disclaimer stating 'such and such a reason' for not being in their best form.

Well you know what? If you're not going to do it properly, and show us clips of yourselves on your best form then dont bother posting at all.

I think maybe the people that do this could actually improve their games many times over by concentrating on their attitude (the one that makes them come up with excuses all the time) rather than the technical side of their game. Sure their technical side could do with some improvement, but theyre already not making the most of what they due to their negative, excuse-making attitudes. I can imagine it right now. Every time they come off court they will have some reason or excuse as to why they lost.

Anyways, rant over :)

It is to shield themselves from the over the top attacks and deliberately biting criticisms they will invariably receive upon posting a video from the know-it-alls here.

BaboFan
10-04-2011, 07:30 AM
I say we criticize the lot of them and then have them come back stronger, still smarting from the attacks. This way, nobody will post a video of horrible play and attitude.

Or we can offer constructive criticism while being nice.

The first option brings better results and faster but it may ruin someones mentality

christos_liaskos
10-04-2011, 08:03 AM
Just to give some examples of the type of excuses I mean in case anyone is a bit confused by my post. Statements such as;

"I'm not giving everything in my video as I had a match the next day so I was saving myself for that".

" I had just finished a 3 hour training session (haha yeh right!) so by the point that I made the video I was fried!" - perfect example! why didn't you get your camera out at the start!

etc etc etc....to be fair these things really do make me LOL :D

zapvor
10-04-2011, 08:09 AM

etc etc etc....to be fair these things really do make me LOL :D

so whats going to be your excuse? oh wait you havent even posted a video of you!

christos_liaskos
10-04-2011, 08:14 AM
so whats going to be your excuse? oh wait you havent even posted a video of you!

Have done actually

zapvor
10-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Have done actually

really???? i dont see you posting the link lol

christos_liaskos
10-04-2011, 08:38 AM
really???? i dont see you posting the link lol

I'll see if I can find it on youtube, posted it about 3 years ago....

Here we go....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhvOAjiVlac
That's me, going at it 200%, giving everything I've got. I am actually a special case in that anyone who wants to offer me advice needs to know that I have certain physical limitations (note: this is not an excuse. I am giving everythin I have in the video, it's just some information that anyone who coaches me should be aware of. I don't actually like bringing it up though because it does actually feel like I am making excuses, although it isn't.) I have Cystic Fibrosis and I am currently on the transplant list for lungs as my lung capacity is 25%. At the time of this video it was around 35% and I was in talks with the doctors about going on the transplant list. So clearly any advice offered on footwork and intensity etc, the info I just mentioned needs to be taken into account (to give you an idea of what it's like playing tennis with 25% capacity, if I put all my intensity into 5 shots and go all out like I would love to I end up on the floor for a few minutes trying to recover. Not looking for sympathy or making excuses, just stating that I am doing my best so don't ask for any more. Unlike people who post videos with a disclaimer noting they are not giving their best and normally play much better. Well you know what, I don't know about anyone else but I'm not interested in watching videos of people 'warming up'. If you want advice on a shot then video yourself playing the shot as you would normally, not in a situation where you are saving yourself for a match or aren't warmed up etc etc.)

Anyways, enough of the latest rant. Info on the video...cross court forehands until 3.30, crosscourt backhands until 7.45, followed by serves from various angles.

zapvor
10-04-2011, 08:44 AM
I'll see if I can find it on youtube, posted it about 3 years ago

youtubes stay up forever unless you delete it. or you can post a new one....unless you havent improved in 3 years

christos_liaskos
10-04-2011, 08:55 AM
youtubes stay up forever unless you delete it. or you can post a new one....unless you havent improved in 3 years

found it and edited my last post. And actually no I have got worse in 3 and a half years (I'll let you off on that one though as I'm guessing you hadn't read my edited post when you just said that :) )

christos_liaskos
10-04-2011, 09:02 AM

I suppose what I am trying to say in making this thread is....if someone has a permanent injury or condition which impares their game and will not improve then that person should bring it up and it in no way is an excuse.

Someone though that says they have just pulled a muscle and will be back to full fitness in a couple of weeks time should save their time and ours by not posting a video of themselves hobbling around the court wounded when they are actually capable of doing better.

On my video...I actually want to make a newer one at some point before I have my operation, so I can really compare how I am before and after. I should really get round to it though as I have had 4 false alarms from the hospital so far so if I dont hurry up I will lose my chance to make a video if myself playing in my worst condition pre-op

zapvor
10-04-2011, 09:15 AM
so people posting excuses is not ok. but you having a disablity immeidately makes you immune to your critcism???

lol jk i was just messing with you really.

christos_liaskos
10-04-2011, 10:58 AM
so people posting excuses is not ok. but you having a disablity immeidately makes you immune to your critcism???

Actually no I dont mind your criticism of my video at all, I'd be very interested to hear it. I just think that if I am going to ask for anyone's opinion I need to make them aware of my limitations.

How good myself or anyone actually is at playing tennis is something I'm not bothered about. If someone asks for help and they can hardly play and look like a 2 year old trying to play I'm not going to start laughing and calling names etc. We're all meant to be here to help after all. The situations I'm pointing out with this thread are where a person posts a video of themselves playing like a 2 year old but then go on to say "i dont normally play like this". Well how is that useful to any of us trying to help? What do you normally look like when you play then? Like a pro? Like a decent club player? What? People should post a video with an accurate represantation of what their normal level is. Which is what I did in posting my video. I'm not claiming that I normally play any better than that. Just pointing out limitations that I may have if anyone does wish to offer any advice on how I could improve. Let's put it this way. What's the point of posting a video showing you play one way, and then write a description underneath of how you normally play. Here's an idea....POST THE VIDEO OF HOW YOU NORMALLY PLAY!

Sorry not having a go, just not sure I was getting my point across properly, and just ended up going on another rant lol!. Anyway, if yuo have any critique on my video I'd be interested to here it

Devilito
10-04-2011, 11:15 AM
haha i kinda used to do that but not anymore for the reasons you made. It's rare you ever play your best so why not be honest about it and be happy with an "average" performance. It’s more of a reflection of how you’d play on a day to day basis or maybe a tournament.

bad_call
10-04-2011, 11:21 AM
haha i kinda used to do that but not anymore for the reasons you made. It's rare you ever play your best so why not be honest about it and be happy with an "average" performance. Its more of a reflection of how youd play on a day to day basis or maybe a tournament.

ain't that the truth...

BaboFan
10-04-2011, 11:27 AM
If you can win on a bad day... you're good.
Its about how strong you are on a bad day

TTMR
10-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Actually no I dont mind your criticism of my video at all, I'd be very interested to hear it. I just think that if I am going to ask for anyone's opinion I need to make them aware of my limitations.

How good myself or anyone actually is at playing tennis is something I'm not bothered about. If someone asks for help and they can hardly play and look like a 2 year old trying to play I'm not going to start laughing and calling names etc. We're all meant to be here to help after all. The situations I'm pointing out with this thread are where a person posts a video of themselves playing like a 2 year old but then go on to say "i dont normally play like this". Well how is that useful to any of us trying to help? What do you normally look like when you play then? Like a pro? Like a decent club player? What? People should post a video with an accurate represantation of what their normal level is. Which is what I did in posting my video. I'm not claiming that I normally play any better than that. Just pointing out limitations that I may have if anyone does wish to offer any advice on how I could improve. Let's put it this way. What's the point of posting a video showing you play one way, and then write a description underneath of how you normally play. Here's an idea....POST THE VIDEO OF HOW YOU NORMALLY PLAY!

Sorry not having a go, just not sure I was getting my point across properly, and just ended up going on another rant lol!. Anyway, if yuo have any critique on my video I'd be interested to here it

I don't disagree with your overall point, but this here is troublesome. I've never seen anyone post a video here where they look like they are playing like a two year old. 95% of the videos here seem to be of above average players. Of course that doesn't mean they are great players, merely better than the average person picking up a racquet on a tennis court.

However, there is never any shortage of scathing replies from people accustomed to watching Roger Federer highlights weighing in to mock and deride others brave enough to post videos. These posts go well beyond identifying mere technical defects, and even many of the technical critques add a certain intentional barb or sting of macho condescension. So I can see why people looking for help insist on adding a face-saving disclaimer.

Maui19
10-04-2011, 02:45 PM
I'd never post a video here. 50% of the comments are unnecessarily harsh and rude, and another 45% are simply offering bad advice. That's a lot to go through for a couple of helpful suggestions. I'll stick to my pros, thank you. :)

BaboFan
10-04-2011, 02:49 PM
I'd never post a video here. 50% of the comments are unnecessarily harsh and rude, and another 45% are simply offering bad advice. That's a lot to go through for a couple of helpful suggestions. I'll stick to my pros, thank you. :)

Same reason why I will never post a video. Ill help people out but I wouldn't open myself up for judgement. However you have guts to post videos to take a lot of CR@p from us posters.

yonexpurestorm
10-04-2011, 03:03 PM
ive put up a few videos here on TT. i actually just went back and checked to see if i made a disclaimer like you said. i didnt. i posted on of me serving and one of a match vid i took. i thought i got some good advice from other posters. some posters are just dumb and have never seen themselves on video and dont know what to expect. i know i am good at tennis and dont worry about what morons will tell me, but there is always ppl giving good advice. i actually redid my serve based on ppls advice and it really helped my second serve.

of course i cant help but think of that jake mcclain guy's video and how be got a real good beatig on here for it. but he was saying things about gaking games off of DY.

BaboFan
10-04-2011, 03:15 PM
ive put up a few videos here on TT. i actually just went back and checked to see if i made a disclaimer like you said. i didnt. i posted on of me serving and one of a match vid i took. i thought i got some good advice from other posters. some posters are just dumb and have never seen themselves on video and dont know what to expect. i know i am good at tennis and dont worry about what morons will tell me, but there is always ppl giving good advice. i actually redid my serve based on ppls advice and it really helped my second serve.

of course i cant help but think of that jake mcclain guy's video and how be got a real good beatig on here for it. but he was saying things about gaking games off of DY.
Thats true both areas bolded
He wasn't talking about you, he was being general but... "Haters will Hate!" so don't get discouraged anyone

christos_liaskos
10-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Ye yonexstorm, babofan is right. Ofcourse I wasnt talking about you in particular, I've only just met you :D.

To be honest though if you asked me to name one person on this forum that comes under the category I was describing I wouldnt be able to. I just dont take that much notice of people's usernames and I forget who everyone is I suppose. It just seems that in probably 50-75% of threads I go on with people asking for advice on a shot they always have these stupid disclaimers. Lets put it this way. If you go to a coach to ask him to help you with a shot are you going to say to him "ye we can hit for a bit but I don't want to try properly because I've got a busy day tomorrow and don't want to be tired". If a pupil came to me wanting to assess an area of the game and they said that before we started I would ask what is the point of doing the assessment in the first place then if they're not going to play like they normally would!!!

As far as people being really nasty about people's videos, I haven't actually seen much of it than I can think of. But quite a few of you are mentioning it so I'll take your word for it.

And I take both of you guy's attitude on that matter anyway. Just ignore any moron that wants to post hateful comments. If you need help then there's normally some good advice to be found. Ofcourse don't forget my golden rule...give us a video with an accurate represantation of the area you want help with, don't ask for help and then say you weren't playing properly anyway :D!

yonexpurestorm
10-04-2011, 03:35 PM
Ye yonexstorm, babofan is right. Ofcourse I wasnt talking about you in particular, I've only just met you :D.

To be honest though if you asked me to name one person on this forum that comes under the category I was describing I wouldnt be able to. I just dont take that much notice of people's usernames and I forget who everyone is I suppose. It just seems that in probably 50-75% of threads I go on with people asking for advice on a shot they always have these stupid disclaimers. Lets put it this way. If you go to a coach to ask him to help you with a shot are you going to say to him "ye we can hit for a bit but I don't want to try properly because I've got a busy day tomorrow and don't want to be tired". If a pupil came to me wanting to assess an area of the game and they said that before we started I would ask what is the point of doing the assessment in the first place then if they're not going to play like they normally would!!!

As far as people being really nasty about people's videos, I haven't actually seen much of it than I can think of. But quite a few of you are mentioning it so I'll take your word for it.

And I take both of you guy's attitude on that matter anyway. Just ignore any moron that wants to post hateful comments. If you need help then there's normally some good advice to be found. Ofcourse don't forget my golden rule...give us a video with an accurate represantation of the area you want help with, don't ask for help and then say you weren't playing properly anyway :D!

i know you werent talking about me. just after reading your rant it got me thinking maybe i do something like this, lol. because i know after every match i can think of something i wasnt happy about. i just wanted to check and see if i actually said it in my post before i put up a link. i do know what you are saying though. it is annoying when ppl put a video and make some stupid disclaimer about why they arent as good as they say they are. one thing that does bother me is when ppl will talk trash and someone else will tell them to post a video and they always have the "i dont need a video to prove my skillz" response. ive read a few threads where theres a guy telling everyone how good he is, but he always refuses to post a video or something. i dont get why ppl get so affraid.

aimr75
10-04-2011, 04:18 PM
However, there is never any shortage of scathing replies from people accustomed to watching Roger Federer highlights weighing in to mock and deride others brave enough to post videos. These posts go well beyond identifying mere technical defects, and even many of the technical critques add a certain intentional barb or sting of macho condescension. So I can see why people looking for help insist on adding a face-saving disclaimer.

Yes, this is a typical scenario on these boards.. there are so many replies that seek to just belittle, and offer little constructive criticism. And even when critiques are offered, its typically handed in a way that screams, "i dont really want to genuinely help you out to see you improve, i just want to point out how bad you are".

user92626
10-04-2011, 04:54 PM

When you're seeking advices, which means you don't know, how then do you know which advisers are moron or good? LOL. If you have a way to know which advice is good or moronic, more or less you know what to do, so why seek advices? hehe

Tennis_Monk
10-04-2011, 06:15 PM
So what if people make a disclaimer. If thats what makes them happy so be it. It isnt like our TT posters give any extra credit for those excuses.

Oh...so this forehand is after you had a 3 hr session..boy then this really awesome..and btw if you are moving this well with out a warmup, no telling what you can do when you are all primed up. here is your bonus points.

havent heard that from posters ;)

Excuses are a FUN part and parcel of Tennis game.

Hrandyrko
10-05-2011, 04:55 PM

Jesus Christ. I knew you were kidding and your trolling still ****ed me off.

yonexpurestorm
10-05-2011, 06:21 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=399219

here you go cristos, lol

Limpinhitter
10-05-2011, 06:52 PM
I'll see if I can find it on youtube, posted it about 3 years ago....

Here we go....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhvOAjiVlac
That's me, going at it 200%, giving everything I've got. I am actually a special case in that anyone who wants to offer me advice needs to know that I have certain physical limitations (note: this is not an excuse. I am giving everythin I have in the video, it's just some information that anyone who coaches me should be aware of. I don't actually like bringing it up though because it does actually feel like I am making excuses, although it isn't.) I have Cystic Fibrosis and I am currently on the transplant list for lungs as my lung capacity is 25%. At the time of this video it was around 35% and I was in talks with the doctors about going on the transplant list. So clearly any advice offered on footwork and intensity etc, the info I just mentioned needs to be taken into account (to give you an idea of what it's like playing tennis with 25% capacity, if I put all my intensity into 5 shots and go all out like I would love to I end up on the floor for a few minutes trying to recover. Not looking for sympathy or making excuses, just stating that I am doing my best so don't ask for any more. Unlike people who post videos with a disclaimer noting they are not giving their best and normally play much better. Well you know what, I don't know about anyone else but I'm not interested in watching videos of people 'warming up'. If you want advice on a shot then video yourself playing the shot as you would normally, not in a situation where you are saving yourself for a match or aren't warmed up etc etc.)

Anyways, enough of the latest rant. Info on the video...cross court forehands until 3.30, crosscourt backhands until 7.45, followed by serves from various angles.

Enjoyed the video. You've got a good looking game. All the best in your transplant and recovery.

onehandbh
10-05-2011, 07:08 PM
I have Cystic Fibrosis and I am currently on the transplant list for lungs as my lung capacity is 25%. At the time of this video it was around 35% and I was in talks with the doctors about going on the transplant list. So clearly any advice offered on footwork and intensity etc, the info I just mentioned needs to be taken into account (to give you an idea of what it's like playing tennis with 25% capacity, if I put all my intensity into 5 shots and go all out like I would love to I end up on the floor for a few minutes trying to recover.

As soon as you opponent hits the ball, split step, and start moving in the
direction you think it is going. The earlier you start moving, the slower you can
move to get there (conserving your energy).

christos_liaskos
10-06-2011, 01:19 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=399219

here you go cristos, lol

Hehehe I wasn't actually going to say any names but oh well lol.. That's just one of the latest ones and yes I had noticed it lol

zapvor
10-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Jesus Christ. I knew you were kidding and your trolling still ****ed me off.

i see you got some issues you may want to work out

pvaudio
10-07-2011, 02:16 PM
This is so irritating, I could not agree more. If you want help, then just come and say what we see is what you've got. Watching Federer rally against a wall after a 5 setter won't let you realize he's the greatest to play the game.

gregor.b
10-07-2011, 02:24 PM
This is so irritating, I could not agree more. If you want help, then just come and say what we see is what you've got. Watching Federer rally against a wall after a 5 setter won't let you realize he's the greatest to play the game.

That is a very good point.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-10-2011, 10:58 AM
I did the opposite really, i posted videos of myself playing and serving totally out of shape, but didnt mention it before others did :)

bhupaes
10-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Here are a few of my forehands. I have to warn you, I hadn't slept for a week when this video was shot, my stomach was bad, my strings were dead, my shoes were tight, and my butt was itching. Oh, and my uncle was driving me crazy!

Keep these in mind before you rate me, please!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB6EY7FxgUg

onehandbh
10-11-2011, 01:36 PM
This is about as good as my game is these days.
In fact these videos are probably a misrepresentation. I am sometimes
*much* worse -- especially my backhand (though I'm working on it).

http://www.youtube.com/onehandbh#p/c/87F0C85ECE631F82/3/bfFv9ACCdT8

http://www.youtube.com/onehandbh#p/c/87F0C85ECE631F82/13/ESpm9qdusUA

Tennis_Monk
10-11-2011, 06:23 PM
Here are a few of my forehands. I have to warn you, I hadn't slept for a week when this video was shot, my stomach was bad, my strings were dead, my shoes were tight, and my butt was itching. Oh, and my uncle was driving me crazy!

Keep these in mind before you rate me, please!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB6EY7FxgUg

Well. 3.5 at best. Given your disclaimers i will cut you some slack and i would say In some obscure leagues like ATP, you(he) may pass off as 4.0 but thats it.
Your forehand is all spin and lacks penetration
Your serve is so so and needs lots if improvement
You have good footwork and movement so you have some pieces to build on.

So you should focus on taking the ball early and being more aggressive . go on offense early ;)

bhupaes
10-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Ha ha! Good one, TM!

saigonbond 2.0
10-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Who made you the video posting police? Let them post what they want and how they want. They shouldn't have to face ridicule for doing so. If you don't like it, don't watch their video or read their post. Simple as that.

goober
10-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Who made you the video posting police? Let them post what they want and how they want. They shouldn't have to face ridicule for doing so. If you don't like it, don't watch their video or read their post. Simple as that.

LOL you haven't been around this forum very much? Pretty much everybody faces ridicule when they post their video. The worst ridicule is when you claim to be a high level player but your video looks like a typical rec player.

But the bottom line is people *shouldn't* have to face ridicule if they post their video, but they almost always do. If you can't take the heat- don't post a video. Simple as that...