PDA

View Full Version : should i go with full gut or gut/syn gut hybrid?

DX_Psycho
07-11-2005, 12:09 AM
i am using a prestige classic mid. i'm not a string breaker AT ALL. i've been using duraflex 17 for about 4 or 5 months and htey just started peeling.

i usually string at middle tension.

i want to try gut for once (especially since i play a lot in the summer)

about how long does it take before babolat gut loses its tension?

should i go with full gut or hybrid it with the duraflex 18 that i have right now?

thanks.

TennisPlayer11
07-11-2005, 12:11 AM
i would reccomend babolat gut.....depending on how much u want to spend.....$35 for VS natural or $25 for tonic+

jayserinos99
07-11-2005, 12:18 AM
If I were in that situation, I'd end up with a gut/syn gut hybrid. Gut tends to keep its tension for a while and since I'd have more than one racquet, I'd be better off having the same hybrid in both frames. Syn gut 18 is what puzzles me though; do you have any other strings besides that? I'm just concerned about having such a thin string as a cross even though technically the mains saw faster than the crosses. Any other string gurus can help with this?

theace21
07-11-2005, 08:34 AM
Gut usually holds its tension very well. I use BDE Preformance in the mains, and Gosen Sheep Micro 17 in the crosses.

I agree with Jay, why use an 18 gauge cross. If the cross does snap you are out luck and gut is still very expensive...I use the 17, and have not broken a cross before a main, don't think the benifit of 18 vs 17 justifies the potenial lost if the thinner cross breaks...

NoBadMojo
07-11-2005, 09:21 AM
most betterball strikers never break crosses anyway, so most can go with as thin as possible in the cross string. there are exceptions to everything of course..nrg2-17 was the only string i've ever used where i could break crosses before mains, but at that point the mains were ready to go anyway. i would start out with an all gut job, because if you dont, you are just going to wonder what you are missing and you will best know what gut does vs synthetics. if you have multiple frames, put gut in one and hybrid in the other and see if you can notice differences. the duraflex makes an excellent hybrid cross. i really enjoy playing Klip Legend gut, and it's very durable.

DX_Psycho
07-14-2005, 01:11 AM
i also have kirshbaum ss honey 17 but i don't know.

i guess i'll go with full gut and try the hyrbid afterwards.

pyro2990
07-14-2005, 05:32 AM
if ur not a string breaker, go ahead and get the gut. it may cost more but if u reap the benefits its worth it.

A Defenseless Creature
07-14-2005, 07:18 AM
Gut is the best at holding tension. Go with the full gut job. Since you are not a string breaker you will be surprised at the durabililty and the playability will last much longer than any synthetic. Because gut holds it's properties so well, I usually don't recommend using it in hybrid with a cheap synthetic. The synthetic will fade away much faster than the natural gut and you will have to restring faster. While the illusion is one of cost savings, you are probably just as well off going with the full gut job.

Tchocky
07-14-2005, 09:21 AM
If you're not a string breaker, then you should probably go with a full set. If you do decide to go with a hybrid, then make sure you have gut in the crosses and whatever else you choose to have in the mains.

tom4ny
07-14-2005, 11:29 AM
also suggest going full gut but maybe using a thicker guage for the mains and thinner for the crosses. i recently switched to this setup as the mains were breaking (just north a center) more often, recently.