PDA

View Full Version : Be the BEST of BOTH WORLDS, emotionally?

user92626
10-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Per the title, how can you be laid back and at the same time work really hard on each point?

Be mellow and yet passionful, sometimes mildly frustrated, about errors?

Not care about errors, results but at the same time desire to do better, get better?

It seems like only better players get frustrated, impatient. No?

BaboFan
10-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Look at federer play therapy

Up&comer
10-04-2011, 05:03 PM
I'm a naturally laid back personality, but I'm incredibly competitive. So im a lazy fighter :)

The best way is to fight for a single point, then forget about it (win or loose) and think about playing the next point as hard as you can. Don't stress out. Its a game (and a fun one at that)

Caesar
10-04-2011, 05:14 PM
Sports psychology is about being in the moment. If you get frustrated about errors, it doesn't mean you're more passionate about winning than someone who doesn't. It means you're living in the past, whilst he's thinking about the next point.

user92626
10-04-2011, 05:19 PM
I never condone turning nasty, anal to win points, but I have never seen anyone becoming good by not paying attention or being indifferent to each point.

user92626
10-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Sports psychology is about being in the moment. If you get frustrated about errors, it doesn't mean you're more passionate about winning than someone who doesn't. It means you're living in the past, whilst he's thinking about the next point.

I control my temper very well, but I do "mark" my mistakes by getting a mild frustration. I notice it helps a lot to avoid repeating the same mistakes. In the same token I allow myself to feel good, pump up on making great, smart strokes. This punishment/reward system seems to work well.

The best way is to fight for a single point, then forget about it (win or loose) and think about playing the next point as hard as you can. Don't stress out. Its a game (and a fun one at that)

Sounds good, but not sure it's something that I always practice. Say, the other day I ran into a good server. Initially he aced me quite a few points. But after each serve like that I tried hard to memorize and remind myself. Did some visualization and what if scenerios. By 3rd game for some reason I could anticipate and literally could see the ball coming to me very well and returned every serve.

Caesar
10-04-2011, 05:25 PM
People who get frustrated when playing tennis are people who can't separate caring about the future from caring about the past. You don't have to self-flagellate in order to be motivated to do your best.

The best players are ones who care an awful lot about what they're about to do, and absolutely nothing about what they just did.

BMC9670
10-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Observe your game instead of judging it. If you make an error, observe what you did wrong and look forward to fixing it on the next opportunity. Saying to yourself "I missed that because I was late with my feet" as opposed to "I missed that because I stink" are two very different things.

dozu
10-04-2011, 06:12 PM
look at John Isner.

Bergboy123
10-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Look at John McEnroe... :D

6-2/6-4/6-0
10-05-2011, 07:36 AM
Read the Tao te Ching.

Study Stefan Edberg.

Avoid watching Goran Ivanisavic, Mary Pearce or Andy Murray.

Have fun when you're playing. Nothing makes me play harder than when I'm having a great time, and nothing makes the score matter less than if I walk off the court feeling like I really spent my time well out there.

Overwhelm yourself somewhere else. I used to have problems with the mental side of my game because I would get too wrapped up in points won or lost and be riding roller coasters all match. The I started a couple of companies, had a kid, etc. Now I'm overwhelmed in so many other ways that I keep great balance on the court.

Realize that you are not feeding your family with your tennis results and that (hopefully) your image of yourself is based on much more than a match score, so whatever happens it doesn't really matter.

If all else fails, try a whiskey or two on the change-over. :)

user92626
10-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Very wise, 6-2/6-4 (is that your score or opponent's? :))

Well, I observe that it's my personality that if I do anything I tend to do it more than half baked. I get lathargic and unfocused when I sense the game isn't taken semi seriously.

TimothyO
10-05-2011, 10:39 AM
If all else fails, try a whiskey or two on the change-over. :)

A fellow at our club actually does that! He's one of our best players but can get carried away and over hit. A shot or two and he calms down. Oddly enough he's also a real hardcore athlete, bikes, runs, swims, totally fit.

6-2/6-4/6-0
10-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Score: Edberg pummeling Courier in the US Open final.

Serious: Not sure what you're saying about taking something serious or not. You can take something seriously while keeping your primary focus on the enjoyment of it. You can take something seriously while not being tied to the outcome. Rudyard said it best, "If you can dream—and not make dreams your master; If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim; If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster, And treat those two impostors just the same..."

Limpinhitter
10-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Per the title, how can you be laid back and at the same time work really hard on each point?

Be mellow and yet passionful, sometimes mildly frustrated, about errors?

Not care about errors, results but at the same time desire to do better, get better?

It seems like only better players get frustrated, impatient. No?

Borg would be the apex of combining playing with ultimate intensity and remaining emotionally ice cold at the same time. "He's a robot from outer space; a Martian." -- Nastase on Borg.

purge
10-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Borg would be the apex of combining playing with ultimate intensity and remaining emotionally ice cold at the same time. "He's a robot from outer space; a Martian." -- Nastase on Borg.
swedes are like that

Limpinhitter
10-05-2011, 12:22 PM
swedes are like that

So, Robin Soderling isn't Swedish? Hahaha!