PDA

View Full Version : Help, my serve is big but weird

Dream_On
10-07-2011, 03:52 AM
First things first, I thought I would ask my fellow tt'ers on this issue. I am quite a decent level player (USTA 5.0), and I have a few issues with my serve and all round game actually and I was wondering if anyone could figure out my problem.

Sim
10-07-2011, 06:29 AM
Post a video so we can better see your serve. :-P

Also, you mention failing to drive your legs and explode into the serve. Imo, jumping can be detrimental to the development of your serve if you don't have the consistency down yet. When I tried jumping to add power to my serve, I lost so much consistency that the extra power wasn't necessary (It was still easy to ace without it. Placement is key.)

However, I'm not saying that using your legs more for your serve is bad. Not at all. I am only saying to work on other elements of your serve first before incorporating a big jump to your serve.

LuckyR
10-07-2011, 09:19 AM
First things first, I thought I would ask my fellow tt'ers on this issue. I am quite a decent level player (USTA 5.0), and I have a few issues with my serve and all round game actually and I was wondering if anyone could figure out my problem.

First of all my serve :
My serve has always been my strongest part of my game, however it has always been really streaky. Why? because of my technique, I think. My problem is that I have always muscled it a bit (and therefore I seemed to come over the ball, rather than properly pronate a lot of the time) and ended up slicing it. i have managed to overcome this a bit, but at times i still go back to the old habbit. I also fail to drive from my legs that much and explode into the court, and I find this part very hard no matter what I try to do. (I can still serve well enough to put me in front on most points, and serve aces despite these problems)

Second, my all around game :
I find my footwork really go off a lot of the times that I play, sometimes I will just go onto court and find my footwork intensity completely missing. Like today, I kept missing and couldnt keep a rally together which I normally can in my sleep. A ball would go flying by me within easy distances to get to but my feet just wouldnt move, I felt like a brick. this happens I would say every 2/5 times I play..

If you are a true 5.0, it is likely that your problem is not with your tennis, you mention in your description of both of your problems a lack of leg "energy". Sounds either psychological or metabolic. What is your age and general state of health?

zapvor
10-07-2011, 02:51 PM
yea why dont you post a video. we cant tell what this technique is you refer to

pvaudio
10-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Video, video, video, video.

fruitytennis1
10-07-2011, 04:11 PM
yea why dont you post a video. we cant tell what this technique is you refer to

Not flinging mud here...but you aren't exactly the go to guy on advice.

gregor.b
10-07-2011, 04:16 PM

Uh Oh.It's on!...

zapvor
10-07-2011, 04:29 PM

why do you say that

fruitytennis1
10-07-2011, 07:49 PM
why do you say that

Well, first of all you serve isn't exactly the most technically correct--
but even if I didn't go off that I've seen a good amount of advice you've given..that is wrong(i'm not going to waste time searching or going into specifics about what that is)

Datacipher
10-07-2011, 09:27 PM
If you are a true 5.0, it is likely that your problem is not with your tennis, you mention in your description of both of your problems a lack of leg "energy". Sounds either psychological or metabolic. What is your age and general state of health?

Man....serve biomechanics are my specialty...I might be able to help with video...but honestly....I also think that if you are true 5.0 you shouldn't even be here asking that!

It would be like a medical doctor posting on forum for fans of the TV show House..."I have a diagnosis I"m having trouble with...."

Why don't you go to a pro in your area...I assume you probably know at least some of them...or even other open players....they can see you first-hand! Work with you on-court :-)

zapvor
10-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Well, first of all you serve isn't exactly the most technically correct--
but even if I didn't go off that I've seen a good amount of advice you've given..that is wrong(i'm not going to waste time searching or going into specifics about what that is)

interesting. so what about my serve is not 'technically correct'?
and what sort of advice am i giving that is wrong. your accusations are so far completely unfounded. so yea. good try though!

zapvor
10-07-2011, 09:59 PM
also, if you actually read my post i said to post a video so we can better help the OP. it doesnt say so I can give him advice. two different things. but i guess you jumped to the wrong conclusion....which happens a lot here

fruitytennis1
10-08-2011, 09:15 AM
I'm sorry I did jump to conclusions...but no doubt if he posted a video you would've given advice.

Just evaluate yourself-do you know what you are saying regarding your advice or do you just say what you think is right?

zapvor
10-13-2011, 05:55 PM
I'm sorry I did jump to conclusions...but no doubt if he posted a video you would've given advice.

Just evaluate yourself-do you know what you are saying regarding your advice or do you just say what you think is right?

it depends on the video. i suppose i would post something about it. if you notice i have not posted too much about other people's serves unless it's pretty glaring something is wrong.

and i think i do know what i am saying. what about you tell me what you think of my serve? what's wrong with it?