PDA

View Full Version : Open stance handling of low short balls = nightmare for me

Clay lover
10-07-2011, 04:41 PM
I cannot help but marvel at the ability of the pros to rip winners at will off low short balls with open-stance semi western forehands. You really have to get into position quick, get down low and generate tremendous amounts of RHS. So far is has been a nightmare for me. Will stepping in with a neutral/closed stance FH be a better choice for me?

Fuji
10-07-2011, 04:48 PM
I hit it open stance with a SW grip as well! I think the key is getting into the habit of split stepping on all your shots! It is a lot easier for me to get into position from split step rather then flat footed.

-Fuji

10-07-2011, 07:33 PM
I cannot help but marvel at the ability of the pros to rip winners at will off low short balls with open-stance semi western forehands. You really have to get into position quick, get down low and generate tremendous amounts of RHS. So far is has been a nightmare for me. Will stepping in with a neutral/closed stance FH be a better choice for me?

much worse choice.

xFullCourtTenniSx
10-08-2011, 01:56 AM

How about just recognize when it will be short and get there sooner? I could really care less about what stance I hit with as long as I get in position. I find some sort of open stance forehand to be easier simply due to the fact that you just run to the ball and hit it. Neutral stance is better though, but it requires additional movement.

Just learn to predict the ball better and react accordingly.

Buffster
10-08-2011, 04:21 AM
I have the exact same problem, looking forward to some good replies in this thread :)

dozu
10-08-2011, 05:23 AM
step in and hit closed stance, hop forwarded on the front foot... just copy Federer's footwork pattern.

SeriousSummer
10-08-2011, 08:29 AM
This may be a case where the recreational player would find the shot much easier with classical rather than modern technique. I use an Eastern Forehand and Backhand grip and I just slice short low balls away on the angle. Usually a winner, but at worst a good approach shot that leaves me in control at the net.

I don't doubt that higher-level players can hit those balls for unreturnable topspin winners, but at the recreational level, I'm not sure too many players using Western and Semi-Western grips hav that ability.

Maybe even with those grips you could slice the ball as well? Not using those grips, I don't know.

Limpinhitter
10-08-2011, 03:39 PM

First, going for winners on "low short balls" is a low percentage play. By low, I mean ball contact lower than the net cord. I don't see pros going for winners on such shots very often. Rather, if a ball is low and short, you should hit an approach shot deep dtl and take away a dtl pass attempt. If the ball is short but well above the net (a sitter), then go for a winner in the open court.

Second, IMO, an open stance is a much better choice when going for a winner off of a short sitter.