PDA

View Full Version : Help Getting Kick Serve to bounce sideways

SeekHeart
10-08-2011, 06:56 AM
Hi everyone it's been a while.
Sadly I have no video as of yet to to show but so far I've gotten a pretty decent kick serve down for a beginner (it's my second serve) my only issues thus far are getting more depth and getting the ball to bounce sideways cause it always just bounces straight up. I serve with a continental and I'm right-handed.
Help Plz

:D

LeeD
10-09-2011, 12:58 PM
You're imparting topspin.
To get sidespin component, either toss farther back behind you, toss farther forwards towards sideline, or change your swingpath. Any of the 3 will introduce a sidespin component to your swing, you just gotta find which one.

Ptrac
10-09-2011, 01:13 PM
try to get your back to face your target during the ball toss and keep your chin up for as LONG as possible.
Edit: keep your shoulders turned so your chest is facing the side fence for the whole serve motion

Rubens
10-09-2011, 01:21 PM
The key word is precisely 'sideways'. As stated earlier, try to remain sideways throughout your swing, as much as possible.

Xizel
10-09-2011, 02:04 PM
You need to add more sidespin by swinging more diagonally instead of vertically. For a kick serve, which bounces to your right (assuming you're right handed), you need to swing from 7 to 1 o'clock. The most common way to force this is to toss behind your head (for topspin) and to the left (for sidespin). There's also another safety (second) serve that bounces sideways, but it bounces to the left as opposed to the right. The topspin-slice serve has a more pronounced slice component (8 to 2) and is more commonly seen on a flat first serve.

SeekHeart
10-09-2011, 02:50 PM
ok so as an update, I tried the advice, and so far I'm getting a little kick to the right so I guess I'm doing it right and just need more racquet head sp?

Ptrac
10-09-2011, 08:01 PM
EDIT: wait for the ball to fall back down about an inch b4 you hit. much harder to get topspin/kick if you hit the ball while its moving up or stopped at the apex.

xRain
10-10-2011, 12:07 AM
Get up on the ball and your follow through should be out to the right to get the ball to bounce in that direction.