PDA

View Full Version : Most annoying pusher on youtube? (video)

Rubens
10-08-2011, 03:45 PM
I was browsing the tube for some videos of 3.5 usta play and came across this video featuring the most annoying pusher I've ever seen on the tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER9FKDpSi_g

The pusher is the guy in the white shorts and hat, and the excruciating pushing starts at around 2:04, after they switch sides. I have to say he's quite effective. And his partner seems to be a good sport about it. But damn!

DjokovicForTheWin
10-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Must be a Nadal fan.

pabletion
10-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Must be a Nadal fan.

ZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!!!

they BOTH look like pushers to me, wait, not pushers, hacks. But if a "pusher" like the guy in white hat beats you, its because YOU SUCK, dont hate on the pusher.....

(and Im not saying it would be a walk in the park for me to play such pushers either....)

Rubens
10-08-2011, 04:56 PM
I'm not saying I wouldn't beat him, but I can honestly say he'd be able to get more than a few points, while spending zero effort. I just can't tolerate to see that kind of player win ANY point.

danno123
10-08-2011, 04:59 PM
I was browsing the tube for some videos of 3.5 usta play and came across this video featuring the most annoying pusher I've ever seen on the tube:

The pusher is the guy in the white shorts and hat, and the excruciating pushing starts at around 2:04, after they switch sides. I have to say he's quite effective. And his partner seems to be a good sport about it. But damn!

Most annoying? Not even close. Dozu posted this one a while ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8SZynE4N1w

BTW, I've come to a couple of conclusions about "pushers." First, the only people who get annoyed at them are people who lost to them. After all, if you can easily beat them, why would you be annoyed? Second, the animosity against them is slightly elitist. Most of the pushers I know are older guys who are self-taught. They started playing tennis later in life and never had lessons because they never had the time or money for lessons. Their strokes are "ugly," but they quickly figured out the most effective initial strategy to win tennis matches - get the ball back every time. It doesn't look pretty, but it's a viable strategy.

BaboFan
10-08-2011, 05:04 PM
I was browsing the tube for some videos of 3.5 usta play and came across this video featuring the most annoying pusher

Why were you looking up 3.5 tennis? Theres nothing to see there.

mistapooh
10-08-2011, 05:07 PM

BTW, I've come to a couple of conclusions about "pushers." First, the only people who get annoyed at them are people who lost to them. After all, if you can easily beat them, why would you be annoyed? Second, the animosity against them is slightly elitist. Most of the pushers I know are older guys who are self-taught. They started playing tennis later in life and never had lessons because they never had the time or money for lessons. Their strokes are "ugly," but they quickly figured out the most effective initial strategy to win tennis matches - get the ball back every time. It doesn't look pretty, but it's a viable strategy.

I don't even see anything wrong with the shirtless guy's style of play. He's literally walking in some points, no urgency because the blue shirt guy's ground game isn't big at all. Saw about 3 minutes, saw smashes from the blue shirt guy straight back at him, shots has no depth, barely any anticipation etc.

Rubens
10-08-2011, 05:11 PM
I don't even see anything wrong with the shirtless guy's style of play. He's literally walking in some points, no urgency because the blue shirt guy's ground game isn't big at all. Saw about 3 minutes, saw smashes from the blue shirt guy straight back at him etc.

I agree. the shirtless guy is not nearly annoying as the guy in the other video. At least there is SOME pace to his shots. In the other video, the guy with the hat just throws junk that falls in. Maybe the right term for that kind of player is junkballer, but whatever. Much more annoying.

pabletion
10-08-2011, 05:17 PM
I'm not saying I wouldn't beat him, but I can honestly say he'd be able to get more than a few points, while spending zero effort. I just can't tolerate to see that kind of player win ANY point.

Middle aged guy with "plastic structural reinforcement" on forearm who, by the looks of it picked up tennis waaay too late but still loves to compete and kick stuck up Nike covered Nadal wannabee teens who still think that tennis is all about bashing winners from way behind the court's *****es........

people play tennis the way they can. This middle aged dude surely cant keep up bashing hot topspin groundstrokes with a mid 20's guy, and old tennis pro said to me once: "why waste shotgun lead on crows?" Like I said, and someone above my post too, its your own fault if you cant beat this kind of tennis, this is what amateur level tournament play is all about: winning, aka missing less than the other guy.

CDestroyer
10-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Jake Mclain

Mick
10-08-2011, 05:55 PM
i would not classify that guy as a pusher because he couldn't keep the ball in play five times :)

Rubens
10-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Middle aged guy with "plastic structural reinforcement" on forearm who, by the looks of it picked up tennis waaay too late but still loves to compete and kick stuck up Nike covered Nadal wannabee teens who still think that tennis is all about bashing winners from way behind the court's *****es........

people play tennis the way they can. This middle aged dude surely cant keep up bashing hot topspin groundstrokes with a mid 20's guy, and old tennis pro said to me once: "why waste shotgun lead on crows?" Like I said, and someone above my post too, its your own fault if you cant beat this kind of tennis, this is what amateur level tournament play is all about: winning, aka missing less than the other guy.

Sorry, but I don't buy that he has to play like that because of whatever physical impediment, considering that he can still serve and use a 1hbh. Yes it's possible, but unlikely that it's so severe that's it's ALL he can do. And even if he's somehow limited physically, would this kind of play really be the MOST effective one?? If you watch the video, it's not like he's even winning against the other guy. If anything, I think the other guy is beating him. What makes his play annoying is the kind of shot he makes, even if he's not winning. Like I said earlier, this kind of play is annoying, whether the guy wins or not. There are many other ways to play that would be more effective than his junkballing, without bashing heavy shots from the baseline, and feasible even at his age and against players of his age.

goober
10-09-2011, 05:29 AM

I don't get what is so annoying about it? That's pretty much what many 3.5 tennis matches look like. There are a ton of pushers in 3.5 singles matches.

If 3.5 tennis annoys you and you are a higher level player, why even bother watching this type of match? I am sure if a pro player watched a 4.5-5.0 level match he would find it pretty boring and annoying too.

Rubens
10-09-2011, 06:12 AM
I don't get what is so annoying about it? That's pretty much what many 3.5 tennis matches look like. There are a ton of pushers in 3.5 singles matches.

If 3.5 tennis annoys you and you are a higher level player, why even bother watching this type of match? I am sure if a pro player watched a 4.5-5.0 level match he would find it pretty boring and annoying too.

To answer your question, I was browsing the tube for 3.5 matches because someone in another thread stated that most of the people on these boards are around that rating, and I just wanted a reminder of what 3.5 looks like. From the looks of what I've seen on the tube, his assertion makes sense. Still, I think this particular video is an extreme case of pushing/junkballing.

hawk eye
10-09-2011, 06:38 AM
Nice that you tell us that the pushing starts at 2:04, before that they were like pounding the ball back and forth with no mercy..

Limpinhitter
10-09-2011, 11:13 AM

Hahaha! The "pusher" in that video has the more sound strokes (except his serve which looks like he's hitting with a badly arthritic shoulder), and the more sound gameplan that he executes with discipline. The younger stronger player has no idea what to do except run after the pusher's junkballs and either: hit back to the pusher who keeps making him run, or, hit an UE. It's classic. I've seen it at many levels.

Maui19
10-09-2011, 02:06 PM
That is some hideous tennis.

Spin Doctor
10-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Is that really representative of 3.5 play? Cuz its not very good at all.

Rubens
10-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Is that really representative of 3.5 play? Cuz its not very good at all.

From the other 3.5 videos I've seen, I'd say that that particular video is not representative of 3.5 play. It's an extreme, atrocious case.

Mikeadelic
10-11-2011, 06:43 AM
Slightly off-topic, but the most annoying tennis videos on youtube have to come from that hi10spro guy. If he's a poster on these forums, he's got some splainin' to do.

The guy posts the most technically / tactically incorrect tennis analyses videos on youtube, and he's got people subscribing to him and thanking him for the wonderful stuff he makes. Makes me sad that people are learning incorrect things from him instead of going to better coaching vids.

Don't get me wrong... he's not a terrible player, and I'm sure he can hang with some 4.5s. But then again, there are some very ugly tennis strokes even at 4.5, and he's definitely the cream of the crop in that category.

And when he doesn't S&V, he definitely pushes.

Ben Hadd
10-12-2011, 04:04 AM
Looks like the balding chap calls a few serves out, when they were really in.

dman72
10-12-2011, 06:56 AM
If the other guy in the first video just learned how to put away short dead shots it wouldn't even be a match. The problem is he looks like he's never seen that type of shot before. The court is wide open for either a drop shot or a tospin approach on literaly every stroke that pusher hits, and there's no way he's quick enough to get to them.

The second video is a different story as the shirtless guy has footspeed, and the guy in blue hits some decent forehands that shirtless guy gets back easily.

ark_28
10-12-2011, 08:30 AM
I could stand there with tequilla in one hand raquet in the other and beat this guy but to be fair that style of play would be useful against some players!

bhallic24
10-12-2011, 09:07 AM

agree, agree, and agree. I think theres a part in all of us that hates the pusher mainly because of that "elitist" mentality that u aluded to. I mean Its one thing if you lose to a guy whos blasting 100mph service bombs down the T and hitting gorgeous crosscourt, DTL backhands like nobody's business. But in a way you feel "cheated" out of a win by a pusher because 1. most pushers have terrible looking serves. and I mean terrible. 2. theres nothing pleasing to watch about their game, and an onlooker would never oo or aah at a pusher's game, and 3. because its almost like losing to a kid because that's what their shots look like, no pace, no sophistication, no variety and it brings down your self worth losing to them than to an all out stud.

BTW, that youtube pusher annoys me just watching it. I could only bear to watch like 40 sec of it. Absolutely ugly ugly game, glad the guy with a shirt is beating him though. As it should be!

thug the bunny
10-12-2011, 10:57 AM
If those guys are 3.5 I must be a 6.0, and I'm not.

And they are both pushers, it's just that the guy in the white hat is deliberate, while the other guy at least tries to hit some shots with intent, he just doesn't succeed.

And the guy in the black shorts does not hit hard enough to be playing a Bab PSL.

First, the only people who get annoyed at them are people who lost to them.

Nope. I rarely loose to my pusher buddies, but it's still annoying to play them.

goober
10-12-2011, 12:16 PM
If those guys are 3.5 I must be a 6.0, and I'm not.

And they are both pushers, it's just that the guy in the white hat is deliberate, while the other guy at least tries to hit some shots with intent, he just doesn't succeed.

And the guy in the black shorts does not hit hard enough to be playing a Bab PSL.

Nope. I rarely loose to my pusher buddies, but it's still annoying to play them.

Well they have USTA 3.5 ratings. They play in NJ too.

I suggest you hook up with JRB from these boards since he is from NJ. He is the famous 4.0 player that maverick1one posted and has been subject of at least 10 threads. Mostly people put down- comments like "He is 2.5 or 3.0" or "if he is 4.0 I am a 5.5 player." If you are way above these guys in level you should beat him pretty easily. Here's his infamous video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xB4RLZguN4&feature=related

Shaolin
10-12-2011, 01:07 PM

Lol...that guy is rad. Just walking around flat footed slicing the ball. It's his opponent's fault for not putting the ball away.
Btw great avatar.

Rubens
10-12-2011, 01:19 PM

^^^^ this is what some people here have trouble understanding. I also beat them, sometimes mercilessly, yet they still annoy me no matter what. It's come to the point that I'd rather be bageled against a ball basher than win against yet another pusher/junkballer and having to return their junk all match long.

LeeD
10-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Well, we can take heart in the fact neither of those vids show guys who can actually progress beyond a weak 4.0 level, so when you exceed that level, you won't see them in your draw.
Those players ARE maximising their God given natural talent (:)), so we shouldn't laugh at them.
They are this sites definition of true PUSHER, but I personally see it in every level up to Open, just with better strokes as the level increases.

guenyen
02-10-2012, 02:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/babolatking

Larrysümmers
02-10-2012, 03:09 PM
^i dont think hes a pusher, more like a slicer. he actually seems really aggressive

forthegame
02-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Hmmm..... I might have to take up this "pushing", maybe I might win more!

LeeD
02-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Post #30....
Pushing to get better, both guys trying.
Starts out looking like solid 4.5 play.
Ends up middle of the road 3.5-4.0 erraticism.
Nice running, both trying to hit well, no pushing.

TTMR
02-10-2012, 05:59 PM
^i dont think hes a pusher, more like a slicer. he actually seems really aggressive

As we know on TW, all non-punishing topspin power baseliners are pushers, including serve and volleyers (they push when not serving and volleying).

Passion4Tennis
02-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Personally, this is my favorite of all. I find the contrast of these two players humorous. The guy in the blue shorts plays very nonchalant, while the guy with the hat takes it a little too seriously. His demeanor and occasional outbursts are priceless.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCRV9sfPxoQ&feature=fvwp&NR=1

Cheetah
02-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Personally, this is my favorite of all. I find the contrast of these two players humorous. The guy in the blue shorts plays very nonchalant, while the guy with the hat takes it a little too seriously. His demeanor and occasional outbursts are priceless.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCRV9sfPxoQ&feature=fvwp&NR=1

the guys in that video are not pushers. not sure how you came to that conclusion since there was only 1 rally in the whole 7 minutes that was longer than 2 strokes.

edit: ok there were 2 rallies at the end that were 3 strokes.

Fuji
02-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Is this 3.5? Looks slower on tape then it does in person.

Anywho, it's rec tennis. What do you expect? Everyone was at that point (mostly) at one time in their lives! :)

-Fuji

Cheetah
02-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Is this 3.5? Looks slower on tape then it does in person.

Anywho, it's rec tennis. What do you expect? Everyone was at that point (mostly) at one time in their lives! :)

-Fuji

yes i agree. that's my point. they are not developed enough to be classified as pushers. and both of them were going for winners btw.

UCSF2012
02-10-2012, 10:59 PM
These are not pushers. They are people who are trying to learn the game. They're doing what they can given the situation.