PDA

View Full Version : Gambill back onto some form?

Paul_G
02-18-2004, 11:36 AM
Well nice on the new board for a start looks good.

Not many people have mentioned anything about JMG for a while on the boards and with him beating Dent and claiming he can be a big force at the net if he wants to be could he start moving back up the ranks again?

python
02-18-2004, 11:54 AM
I honestly don't think Gambill played that well when he beat Dent. It was a so-so match with both guys making unforced errors. I think Gambill just made less mistakes than Dent and he did play a big point or two better.

WW Volley
02-18-2004, 08:17 PM
He might move up in the ranks, but I doubt he'll be a major player. Perhaps a dangerous early round opponent that could take out a big name, however!

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
02-18-2004, 08:56 PM
I still don't like him, cause his two-handed both sides junk. Also, his feet look so big and heavy on him with those A3's, and the black socks just don't work with him at all. Plus he's a pretty boy.

WW Volley
02-18-2004, 09:12 PM
I still don't like him, cause his two-handed both sides junk. Also, his feet look so big and heavy on him with those A3's, and the black socks just don't work with him at all. Plus he's a pretty boy.

I'd love to have his "junk" anyday of the week.

And I wouldn't mind if people were calling for me to be in photo shoots.

@wright
02-19-2004, 06:10 AM
Gambill will never be able to overcome having two hands off both sides. His footwork isn't good enough to accomodate that challenge.

Paul_G
02-19-2004, 07:47 AM
His grip changes are so pronounced that I think he must have a lot of talent to be able to play at the pro level he plays at with that style of tennis if that makes sense?

His backhand is solid, his serve is big (one of the tour leaders for most aces) even though his service action might not be the smoothest.

borisboris
02-19-2004, 07:56 AM
:o He does seem a bit clumsy in his approach - though he'll never be a contender for a SLAM - even if he made it to the semi's his father would frow brow him from the box and Jan M nevers would burst. His hitting pro was in the tennis shop last week and noted that this is his best time of year - he always plays better in the early season.

Fee
02-19-2004, 09:10 AM
JanMike is playing better right now, partially because he's completely injury free and partially because he's fed up being in the 60's. He usually does better in the States and during the grass season, so he knows this is the time for him to get some points and move up.

I saw all three of his matches last week in San Jose and it was a different guy than the player I saw last summer. He was aggressive and he kept his head together. He was so close to beating Agassi, that was the closest match they have played in years. But, his footwork was his weakness and Andre took advantage of it quite a few times.

I like JMG's service motion up until that split second when he makes contact with the ball and he gets all stiff. It's very strange. He'll move up, he may even get into the top 30 if he can cobble enough points together. We'll just have to see.

Matt H.
02-19-2004, 02:15 PM
i watched Gambil play at the '02 Delray Beach tournament. His serve is pretty sweet, in actuallity. That 2-hand on both sides stuff is kinda irritating though to watch.

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
02-19-2004, 06:32 PM
I hate 2-hands off both sides, so I just can't stand to watch it. Also, his backhand I've always thought was pretty junky, tons of unforced errors wtih it.

Jerod
02-19-2004, 11:57 PM
just hope you never meet fee up at a tourney. best not to introduce yourself. :wink:

Thomas Tung
02-20-2004, 08:58 AM
Always thought of Jan-Michael as a poor man's Monica Seles, except that his serve is better than his return. Never liked him, but he took out Brian Baker easily last night; not that it really means anything, though.

Fee
02-20-2004, 09:34 AM
just hope you never meet fee up at a tourney. best not to introduce yourself. :wink:

Doesn't bother me if people don't like JMG or his bizarre tennis game (or any of my 20 other favorite players). Sometimes it bothers me if people make personal comments about someone they've never met, but what can you do...

Men's tennis is like a jar of jelly beans - there's a flavor for everyone.

robbie_dademo
02-20-2004, 11:14 AM
yeh back to form alright lost to kiefer in straight today go do modelling michael gambill u dud

Joe Oldschool
02-21-2004, 07:15 AM
I have seen him practice a couple of times and two things hit me about his game.

1. His forhand is very hard but always short with little net clearance. Being that its his "weapon", I don't really think its much of one.

2. His volleys suck! I mean they really suck. I've never seen a pro player duff so many volleys in one practice session in my life. I would be embarrassed if I were him. I think his pro player days are nearing their end.

Paul_G
02-21-2004, 09:52 AM
Thats really interesting that, they are really that bad?

I've only ever see him play in person once and that was at Wimbledon last year in the first round, didn't come to the net very often so couldn't really make much of his volleying.

Considering he was playing a low ranked Russian qualifier he didnt look all too impressive to be honest..

Fee
02-21-2004, 09:56 AM
I have seen him practice a couple of times and two things hit me about his game.

1. His forhand is very hard but always short with little net clearance. Being that its his "weapon", I don't really think its much of one.

2. His volleys suck! I mean they really suck. I've never seen a pro player duff so many volleys in one practice session in my life. I would be embarrassed if I were him. I think his pro player days are nearing their end.

Well that's interesting. I've never considered his forehand his 'weapon' His serve is his best weapon and I think his backhand is better than his forehand. As for hitting volleys in a practice session, so what? Perhaps he was experimenting with a different grip or a new string tension that day. Get a tape of his match against Agassi in San Jose. He was hitting wicked volley winners left and right, and frankly I think Andre was a little surprised to see him up there, being so aggressive. And he's not even close to retiring, not until that house is built and paid for.

Anyway, JMG's a friend and obviously I'm biased, so I should probably stay out of this discussion from now on. :)

Scorch
02-23-2004, 01:30 AM
Thats really interesting that, they are really that bad?

I've only ever see him play in person once and that was at Wimbledon last year in the first round, didn't come to the net very often so couldn't really make much of his volleying.

Considering he was playing a low ranked Russian qualifier he didnt look all too impressive to be honest..

I saw that match too!!

He was not particularly impressive I admit, but that was during a slump in form so it is to be expected.

Mikael
02-23-2004, 12:44 PM
That's amazing - I was there watching that match too!!
Coincidence, coincidence..

the-robz
02-28-2008, 10:56 PM
is he still playing on the tour?

aceroberts13
02-29-2008, 06:47 AM
Why do you keep reviving these old threads? Use the search function.

Ocean Drive
02-29-2008, 08:44 AM
Maybe he was asking here instead of actually making a new thread...

:S

Fee
02-29-2008, 08:50 AM
There was a recent thread that asked this question, but his name wasn't in the title.

JMG has not retired, but he was injured for so long that he lost all of his points and used up his protected ranking. He played qualifying at San Jose and lost in the second round. He plays whenever and wherever he can get a wildcard.

The_Spartan
02-29-2008, 08:56 AM
Why not just look on the ATP Site ?

Looks like he is playing Doubles this year with (2) Singles R32 exits at Miami and Dallas.

Current ATP Race - Singles: 0

Current Stanford ATP Doubles Ranking: 655

edmondsm
02-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Why do you keep reviving these old threads? Use the search function.

I think he probably did use the search function. How do you think he found a thread from 4 years ago?

aceroberts13
02-29-2008, 09:08 AM
Because he's been randomly reviving old threads all over this board. I just happened upon a few of them thinking they were new. There's already a thread about him reviving old threads for no reason. This one could have been legit but all of his others have been completely useless. This just happened to be thread I asked him in.

Kobble
02-29-2008, 12:49 PM
Gambill's serve is solid and his kicker is one of the better on tour. His volleys and knowing when to go to net are pretty good. Everything else is a little above the tour average.

JohnP
02-29-2008, 04:35 PM
I think he probably did use the search function. How do you think he found a thread from 4 years ago?

Booyah.___

aceroberts13
02-29-2008, 09:45 PM

Probably not, hit the last button on the page numbers and compare the dates there from Feb 2004 and the one that this thread was started on. It was one the last threads if not THE last thread. The guy has uselessly revived atleast 6 old threads for nothing. No search function needed to find the last thread and revive it for no reason.

the-robz
02-29-2008, 11:01 PM
yes aceroberts13, YOU GENIUS!

Rhino
03-07-2008, 01:27 AM
Probably not, hit the last button on the page numbers and compare the dates there from Feb 2004 and the one that this thread was started on. It was one the last threads if not THE last thread. The guy has uselessly revived atleast 6 old threads for nothing. No search function needed to find the last thread and revive it for no reason.

Whats wrong with reviving old threads?