PDA

View Full Version : NALBANDIAN OUT OF BUENUS AIRES?

robbie_dademo
02-19-2004, 03:50 AM
Hello i am a keen Nalbandian fan from AUSTRALIA and i thought he was playing in Argentina. but it seems he has pulled out?

what is wrong with him?? is it the wrist again? because wasnt it ARAZI that pulled out against nalbandian at davis cup??

someone explain

Ariel
02-19-2004, 11:35 AM
David suffered a sore ankle playing Davis cup, that's the reason he is not at the Buenos Aires tournament.

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
02-19-2004, 07:30 PM
Is he gonna be back to play next week? God I love that guys game, hope he isn't plauged with constant injuries this year. He has got to be the best point constructor on the tour, and without really knowing it, I have modeled my game a lot like his now with just baseline topspin pretty good pace consistency, and I love to run-down balls now.

Ariel
02-19-2004, 08:00 PM
Don't know, PCMD. I was looking forward for him to do good in Baires. My guess is that he'll be back for the short hard court season in USA (Scottdale, Pacific Life, Miami).

I've seen him live in Houston last year and I tell you that nobody was hitting so agressively, with his consistency and speed (he played a 110 mph backhand against AA!). Of course, no much to do agaist Federer, specially because he didn't give him pace, but it was a terrific match to watch nevertheless.

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
02-19-2004, 08:21 PM
Ya I watched him play Agassi on TV, and he should've won that match. Was that the backhand that he hit practically at the back wall that was 110 mph? I always thought it was a forehand. Nalbandian is a sav.

Thomas Tung
02-20-2004, 10:11 AM
I always thought that Kafelnikov was one of the best, if not the best point constructors around; that having been said, with the Y-Man's retirement and Nalbandian's surging to the upper echelons of tennis, I agree with PCMD. Stroke for stroke, Nalbandian plays the smartest tennis around at this stage. Federer gets second place, but more than makes up for it with his talents.

David plays very similarly to Bohdan Ulihrach, another player I like (despite his awful performance against Roddick, he gave some hints of what he was capable of doing); the difference is, while David doesn't have Bohdan's timing, he is mentally tougher and can really muscle the ball when he needs to. His whole body language is much more intense and intimidating than Ulihrach's, too.

On a side note, I think that Ulihrach IS a poor man's Yevgeny Kafelnikov, and Malivai Washington was a midway stage between the two.

So I guess that makes me a big fan of BOTH Nalbandian and Federer. Does that make me a rarity on this board?

Ariel
02-20-2004, 10:45 AM
I don't think you're alone, Thomas. There are many of us who love those that play smart tennis with talent and grace, regardless of the country they were born.

Andres
02-29-2008, 02:22 AM
Why did you bring up a four-years-old thread? :p

my_forehand
02-29-2008, 02:26 AM
That's what I was thinking.