PDA

View Full Version : Working my game to suit a mid?

Cup8489
10-09-2011, 09:46 PM
Hey; I have a question here, and I'm not sure how to solve it myself.

I've always enjoyed midsize racquets, regardless of the company they come from; I've owned a Prince NXG Mid, a POG Mid (modern TW variant), BLX90, Wilson Graphite Force, Wilson sting, A PK Copper Ace, and perhaps one or two I've forgotten.

I LOVE the way the racquet feels, the control and predictable response, plus the (usually) less stiff feel.

My problem is, being something around a 3.0 (being modest here, I could really be a 3.5 and have been told such by teaching pros on a few occasions), I find that, in general, I don't get the putaway power I can get with larger sized frames..

I currently rock the MG Radical MP and Speed MP 16x19, and while I play very well with the speed, It doesn't have the feel that a Mid does, the sense of what the racquet and ball are doing;

My question is, how do I work on my game in order to allow myself more success with a mid? I hit with relatively conservative grips (extreme eastern fh, still up in the air about a 1hbh or 2hbh; but do both well), and mostly stay at the baseline but will come to net if I find a good opportunity to do so with relatively small risk.

I'm not sure what to do.. and I realize this is very, vague. If you have questions beyond what I've said, I'll do my best to answer.

Also, 5' 8" and somewhat overweight, though working on my strength and conditioning as well as losing the unnecessary pounds for faster movement.

Cup8489
10-10-2011, 09:55 AM
No love for this thread.

Drop Snot
10-10-2011, 10:15 AM
I've always been able to generate plenty of power and I think its because I have incorporated hitting dropped balls as part of my practice. I toss the ball up in the air, wind up, let it bounce, then take a good crack at it. I focus on generating lots of spin, depth and accuracy. Hitting tossed balls forces you to generate all the power without relying on your opponents pace.
One caveat: If you only hit dropped balls without playing real opponents then you will start to lose your timing. For the backhand I need a little extra time to set up correctly so I toss the ball extra high and hit it on the second bounce.

Fuji
10-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Learn to take the net, and mids will become your greatest friends!

Honestly, I switched to the APD FROM my mids because I just didn't have the proper game to bash with mids from the baseline. In doubles I still use them exclusively, but in singles, a bit more room for error is awesome.

However if I played a more classic styled flat hitting game, mids would be perfect. Topspin + Mid's = Fuji's mishits, a lot.

;)

-Fuji

LeeD
10-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Putaway power is generate from a long, fast swing that goes somewhat thru the ball for a POP and lots of ball speed with good placement.
Should be possible with any racket.
The big stiff rackets only add pace when you block the ball, or swing tentatively and timidly. Swing big, those big rackets do not add any power and take away controll.
So swing big, fast, and long.

dozu
10-10-2011, 04:44 PM
due to the under-powered nature of most mids, adding lead is almost universally necessary to make the mids powerful enough to produce deep shots without you have to strain the swing.

the test is easy.... play smooth and see the landing pattern... if they are CONSISTENT, you are good... if they all land near the service line, you only need a few inches of lead to completely change your game to be a deep player.

if they land all over the place, you have a technique issue.

Fuji
10-10-2011, 04:50 PM
due to the under-powered nature of most mids, adding lead is almost universally necessary to make the mids powerful enough to produce deep shots without you have to strain the swing.

the test is easy.... play smooth and see the landing pattern... if they are CONSISTENT, you are good... if they all land near the service line, you only need a few inches of lead to completely change your game to be a deep player.

Very true. Only the KPS88, and the Youtek Prestige Mid haven't needed a bit of lead from my experience to get good depth.

-Fuji

SStrikerR
10-10-2011, 06:20 PM

Better yet, don't string so tight, or stop swinging like a girl. Lead isn't needed in any way whatsoever. You shouldn't need lead to give you more depth. If your shots are all landed service line or shorter, lead isn't your problem. You need to string looser or get a racquet you can actually swing.

Fuji
10-10-2011, 06:22 PM
Better yet, don't string so tight, or stop swinging like a girl. Lead isn't needed in any way whatsoever. You shouldn't need lead to give you more depth. If your shots are all landed service line or shorter, lead isn't your problem. You need to string looser or get a racquet you can actually swing.

Have you ever played an RDS001 Mid? That is easily the lowest powered stick I've EVER hit with. It needed a bit of lead, even when I strung it at 53lbs!

-Fuji

dozu
10-10-2011, 06:28 PM
looser tension and adding lead only produce the similar depth within certain swing speed (usually quite slow ones).

in other words, you can string it loose and hit it deep, but you can't swing hard and produce heavy balls with it.

this is why Sampras lead up the beast to 14+ oz and strung it up to 70 lbs... instead of using a stock PS85 at 55lbs.

BagelMe
10-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Be honest...you like mids because they look sexy.
:)

Cup8489
10-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Be honest...you like mids because they look sexy.
:)

Of course, I didnt bother saying that because honestly, who DOESNT know that?? :)

Nothing like a Wilson tour90 with a nice soft feel string to me.. Same with the POG.

I'm considering just buying one of these two since both are fairly cheap (the new BLX frame from next year just doesnt look great to me, first time i've said that in a while)

but I'd really like to get my hands on a decent condition pair of N90's.. my all time favorite PJ.

Caesar
10-10-2011, 11:18 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but shouldn't you be matching your racquet to your game rather than the other way around?

The Speed is 100si right? If you want a bit more feel and control, just drop down to a smaller midplus with a denser string pattern. If you like the Wilson Tour 90, try the Tour 95 18x20.

Mids are fun but I wouldn't bother changing my game just so I could use one.

Cup8489
10-11-2011, 07:31 AM
Maybe I'm missing something, but shouldn't you be matching your racquet to your game rather than the other way around?

The Speed is 100si right? If you want a bit more feel and control, just drop down to a smaller midplus with a denser string pattern. If you like the Wilson Tour 90, try the Tour 95 18x20.

Mids are fun but I wouldn't bother changing my game just so I could use one.

Well, thats the thing. My game suits playing with mids very well... i've always seemed to have issues with anything larger than 95 inches because there seems to be less feel and consistency from a larger frame.

I like the speed bc it has alot of easy power and spin and allows me to get good consistent depth, but it doesnt have the precision of a mid. I get good depth with mids as well, but my serves dont have the pop and spin, and it's hard to use an aggressive attacking style. I can do it, but it requires more work.

I played better tennis in high school with a 93 18x20 prince NXG mid than with a 100" 16x19 hybrid hornet despite the greater pace I could generate with the hornet; but I'd like to make my game so that I can use the mid to control rallies rather than for consistency like I do now. Just not sure how to do it mostly.