PDA

View Full Version : Breathing On 1-handed Backhand

sepidoel
10-10-2011, 09:30 AM
I'm a 4.0 NTRP mostly-spin-1HBH player.

Everywhere around the internet I always got the same theory of tennis: exhale when doing any kind of stroke. Lately I got an idea to do it reverse on backhand and just tried it a few hours ago on court. The result was very positive: more power and stability, yet better at preserving stamina.

The step-by-step idea is like this:
1. Exhale mildly in preparation. This allows chest to relax a little bit and bend forward nicely to make good preparation. On the contrary, inhaling makes chest a little stiffer, so bending forward is slightly more stressful on lungs.

2. Inhale when swinging a backhand. This may help the contractions of upper-back body and torso, easing body to straighten-up and rotate backward. Meanwhile, exhaling stiffen-up chest and lower-back, makes 1HBH relying more on hand and arm strength.

The key to my successful experiment is I breathed calmly throughout the session. This allowed some room for preparation whether it would be deeper inhale (for FH) or exhale (for 1HBH).

As for 2HBH, I don't think this breath technique is suitable because the swing power is mostly generated by the non-dominant hand which uses similar motion to forehand.

Please, I'd like to hear your opinion about this theory, and I prefer you try it before.

MindoverMatter
10-11-2011, 10:53 AM
i havent ever heard of breath techniques for tennis before, is it something i should try and implement?

BMC9670
10-11-2011, 11:30 AM
Hmm... interesting... although I'm usually just out of breath altogether.:)

LeeD
10-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Interesting, defy convention by breathing IN during ther forward stroke.
Like a boxer taking IN a breathe while swiinging out.
A frisbee tosser taking an IN breathe while tossing.
Just how are the girls going to GRUNT while swinging their strokes?
And when you powerlift, you breathe IN on the lift.

r2473
10-11-2011, 01:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_PAHbqq-o4

Breathe with me

Breathe the pressure
Come play my game Ill test ya
Psychosomatic addict insane
Breathe the pressure
Psycho-somatic addict insane

Come play my game
Inhale, inhale, youre the victim
Come play my game
Exhale, exhale, exhale

(Something like Like a fool or Microphone)

Breathe with me

Breathe the pressure
Psychosomatic addict insane
Breathe the pressure
Psycho-somatic addict insane

Come play my game
Inhale, inhale, youre the victim
Come play my game
Exhale, exhale, exhale

Come breathe with me
Breathe with me

sepidoel
10-11-2011, 08:38 PM
i havent ever heard of breath techniques for tennis before, is it something i should try and implement?

Don't count me as a guru, but having a good result on my first experiment makes me want to share and discuss it in TT. You may try, but do it on warming up first and try not to focus too much on breathing, it might make you dizzy.

I think you misunderstood my "complicated" explanation - and sorry for that. All of your examples are good analogues to ForeHand, which I agree the best way is to breathe-out. The breathing-in I discuss is specifically for 1-Handed BackHand - most of WTA players have 2HBH which for me is similar to FH.

I quote this from Federer one handed backhand short ball put away analysis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=396097):

Topsin is the result of "hitting from low to high."

That means really dropping the head of the racquet very low
before starting the forward swing.

http://news.tennis365.net/lesson/img/pro_gif/federer_backhand_01_0407.gif

Look how low the head of the racquet is in photo 6 above- down at the knees.

Yet, a fraction of a second later in photo 7, the head of the racquet is already up to the level of the chest high ball.

And just a fraction of a second later, the rapid low to high racquet movement continues on the follow through above Fed's head in photo 8.

That is hitting low to high.

Accentuate the low to high even more for more spin.

(Hit somewhat less low to high to drive the ball more.)

You see from the picture very well that the 1HBH swing isn't pushing forward, but backward. My may is to mildly exhaling in picture 1-4, usually pause at picture 5 (locking the ball), then inhaling from 6-12. I exhale back at 13 (if there is).

TennisCJC
10-13-2011, 10:05 AM

If breathing in while hitting stops the girls from GRUNTing (screaching), I am all for it.

LeeD
10-13-2011, 10:09 AM
Some of you might attend a long distance freesbie match for once.
EVERY tosser goes backhand, and exhales!
Oh, that is the one you missed.

BreakPoint
10-13-2011, 11:14 AM
I'm too focused on watching the ball and adjusting my footwork to get the ball into my prime strike zone to worry about breathing. :)

sepidoel
10-18-2011, 09:07 AM
Yesterday I just got my third session of trying the inhale technique. IMO the best characteristic of it is how natural the motion can be. I found the best analogue to it is the breaststroke in swimming:

...to improve his streamline and be more efficient, the swimmer should submerge his head and exhale during the breaststroke's glide phase. He then inhales during the arms' pull phase.

I know that it's impossible to do it in reverse, but any of you who can do breaststroke must know that the breathing is very natural to the motion. That's more or less how I feel in inhaling BH.

Submerge => preparation,
Pull phase => BH swing.

I'm too focused on watching the ball and adjusting my footwork to get the ball into my prime strike zone to worry about breathing. :)

After being used to it I find it's easier to lock the ball. Bending forward while exhaling is much more relax, and relax usually means better at tracking ball. Then in making the swing stiff up you front body by inhaling to get better body rotation.

Some of you might attend a long distance freesbie match for once.
EVERY tosser goes backhand, and exhales!
Oh, that is the one you missed.

I just watched frisbee match on youtube for the first time after reading your post. I think maybe it's better to do the same thing as well. But since frisbee's BH seems to need lesser power than tennis', perhaps it's not really necessary to do that --- while I think doing the same breathing for BH and FH will make better fake.

Frisbee BH technique: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOMtYnNUEzE

Now I start to get interested in playing ultimate frisbee. :)