PDA

View Full Version : Advice on the serve (Video)

Rob.D
10-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Here is a link to my serving as of today. I felt I was hitting the ball reasonably well but looking at the footage I've noticed a few things to work on and would like to hear your opinion on how to improve my serve.

There are two camera angles from the front and from the side. I was serving one first flat serve followed by my second serve (A Kick slice) and then repeating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mIvLJzDCwk

I noticed that I had very little shoulder tilt although the rotation of my core has improved over the past wee while. Also the motion looks very rushed and there is no trophy pose position so I doubt that I'm making best use of my legs and my larger muscle groups.

If you see anything else more fundamental to work on that would be great and if you have any suggestions on ways for me to try and address these issues I would be grateful. I wondered if keeping my racket down as I go into the toss motion would help for instance?

Cheers in advance, Rob

LeeD
10-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Close your stance a lot more, to get shoulder rotation and preload.
Lower racket hand at trophy position, to get a longer swing.
Right now, you're just whipping the arm in a short, quick motion.

Rob.D
10-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Hi Leed. Cheers for the feedback. When you say close my stance do you mean before I start my motion or the position I take before I hit the ball? And by closed i assume your meaning keeping my right foot behind my left foot?

Xizel
10-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Hi Leed. Cheers for the feedback. When you say close my stance do you mean before I start my motion or the position I take before I hit the ball? And by closed i assume your meaning keeping my right foot behind my left foot?

A more closed stance means you're more sideways as opposed to being open to the service box. Your stance needs to be closed before you strike the ball, but starting more closed generally transfers to the rest of the motion prior to contact.

Rob.D
10-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Ok I get what your meaning now.

How should I think about getting the racket down more in the trophy pose? I find it helps me if I have something to think about doing, so "closed stance" is something I can have in my head. What about for getting the racket down and more shoulder tilt?

Xizel
10-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Ok I get what your meaning now.

How should I think about getting the racket down more in the trophy pose? I find it helps me if I have something to think about doing, so "closed stance" is something I can have in my head. What about for getting the racket down and more shoulder tilt?

I pull my shoulder back (and with it my upper arm). There's a stretch along the pecs (chest muscles), which will release back onto the ball when I begin to launch for contact.

netguy
10-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Your opponet should be able to see your back! (Shoulder rotation) Also, take more time between serves....nobody is rushing you.

Rob.D
10-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Cheers, that's some stuff for me to work on tomorrow when I'm on the courts. It's odd i've improved loads over the past year or so but haven't filmed myself in a good wee while. Amazing how much more there is still to do! I mean that in a good way though!

Rob.D
10-10-2011, 04:18 PM
And just as im searching for videos etc of serves I found this, great little drill ive just tried in my living room. Works really nicely for the rhythm and feels like it will gives a nice base to get some muscle memory going for the closed stance etc.

http://www.essentialtennis.com/video/2011/08/tennis-serve-rhythm-and-smoothness-drill/