PDA

View Full Version : this winter i will master the tweener

arche3
10-12-2011, 02:42 PM
I want to truly be consistent with it. so say in a match I will hit it at least once. last winter I worked on my serves.

LeeD
10-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Just have a bud slice a lob to NML, while you're at the service line, so you start out with a relatively short run.
Nobody hits tweeners off topspin lobs, I suspect.

papa
10-12-2011, 05:23 PM
There probably are still vacancies in the Vienna Boys Choir. Spending a winter developing a tweener is rather questionable IMO.

Ben Hadd
10-13-2011, 05:03 AM
I've attempted the "tweener" just twice. Both times were lol fails. Once it rocketed into the net. The next time its first bounce was only a few feet from me. What an odd thing to practise, lol. Best of luck though.

leeuk22
10-13-2011, 05:13 AM
It's so sweet when u pull it off though I've attempted it a dew times I'm match situations only made one of the attempts though, the thing I like the most is the look on the opponents face after seeing the ball pass him lol

arche3
10-13-2011, 05:25 AM
I have ha multiple times in matches when a tweener would of saved the point and got another ball back.
I see it as another defensive shot to add. Winter is the perfect time as I don't play many matches and its all indoors and practicing.

I'm a pretty decent level player so I think it's a great shot to add. I've never practiced it to really learn it.

arche3
10-13-2011, 05:27 AM
Better time spent than some hacks working on their non existent fh imo. At least I can actually learn the shot.

There probably are still vacancies in the Vienna Boys Choir. Spending a winter developing a tweener is rather questionable IMO.

dozu
10-13-2011, 05:28 AM
I want to truly be consistent with it. so say in a match I will hit it at least once. last winter I worked on my serves.

bro you ain't gonna shore up that BH? looks sucky to me.

goran_ace
10-13-2011, 05:35 AM
It's really just a fun, show-boating shot. If you can get there in time to hit the tweener you can get there in time to hit a forehand or backhand, which will be much more effective at keeping you in the point.

arche3
10-13-2011, 05:39 AM
Already did it. Took 2 months of lessons one time a week just on my bh. Now I have a consistent slice, flat, and ts bh.

bro you ain't gonna shore up that BH? looks sucky to me.

arche3
10-13-2011, 05:43 AM
In my personal experience. During 5 matches this summer I will sprint full out to get a lob over my head which bounces on the baseline . No way do I have time to hit anything other than a tweener. Which I can't do. Sometimes it is not possible to step around the ball. If you can on every ball while chasing it then your better and faster than everyone.

It's really just a fun, show-boating shot. If you can get there in time to hit the tweener you can get there in time to hit a forehand or backhand, which will be much more effective at keeping you in the point.

dozu
10-13-2011, 05:45 AM
i think it only has show-boat value..... tossing a lob over the shoulder prolly has the same % (if not higher) to win the point.

arche3
10-13-2011, 05:50 AM
i think it only has show-boat value..... tossing a lob over the shoulder prolly has the same % (if not higher) to win the point.

Dude. You need to play better people. Have you ever not ran at a ball and it is only a few inches off the ground when you get back to the baseline? Only option is a tweener. I seriously can't see if anyone is playing anything resembling sprinting at a ball that you have not encountered the need to hit that shot at some time.

dozu
10-13-2011, 06:05 AM
Dude. You need to play better people. Have you ever not ran at a ball and it is only a few inches off the ground when you get back to the baseline? Only option is a tweener. I seriously can't see if anyone is playing anything resembling sprinting at a ball that you have not encountered the need to hit that shot at some time.

can't think of any situation where if I had the time to do the tweener but not the time to toss a lob back.

the lob opp hit has to be a slice lob right, so the last part of the drop off is quite vertical, should have time to lob it back.

I am just saying, this shot is like such a high-hanging fruit, lots of effort for very little improvement.

I thought your volleys were sucky too.... are those shored up as well?

arche3
10-13-2011, 06:10 AM
Played a lot of doubles. Took a couple lessons. Volleys much better now. Never really focused on it. But as I get older I see the value of coming to net.

can't think of any situation where if I had the time to do the tweener but not the time to toss a lob back.

the lob opp hit has to be a slice lob right, so the last part of the drop off is quite vertical, should have time to lob it back.

I am just saying, this shot is like such a high-hanging fruit, lots of effort for very little improvement.

arche3
10-13-2011, 06:13 AM
By the time I get back to the ball. No matter what type of spin. Top spin lobs are almost at fence. The ball is 6 inches off the ground. I am at a full sprint. What shot to take? Only option is tweener.

dozu
10-13-2011, 06:18 AM
By the time I get back to the ball. No matter what type of spin. Top spin lobs are almost at fence. The ball is 6 inches off the ground. I am at a full sprint. What shot to take? Only option is tweener.

goodness you can chase down TOPSPIN lobs?? :shock::shock:

arche3
10-13-2011, 06:29 AM
goodness you can chase down TOPSPIN lobs?? :shock::shock:

Obvious i can't get every lob. But I try for every ball.

HunterST
10-13-2011, 07:44 AM
Weren't you guys going to partake in a match to the death? How's that going?

arche3
10-13-2011, 08:05 AM
Weren't you guys going to partake in a match to the death? How's that going?

yeah. I'm training obviously. :)

LeeD
10-13-2011, 09:14 AM
Keep hitting hand away from the crotch, so it's really a full arm swing with the rackethand STOPPING right at the body.
For me, it's easier to hit a backhand gripped forehand faced, backhand side retrieval 6" off the ground. You know what that means, if you're 4.0 and above.
Really tough to hit a forehand side retrieve running back to the ball.
Nastase backfire only works against a lob you could have hit an overhead off of.
I'd practice the tweener, but it really only needs about 20 tries.

jhick
10-13-2011, 12:45 PM
I got pretty good at this shot in college, when I practiced it more often. It's fun to hit although I rarely do it anymore because I've lost consistency. Too often I rush the shot, you actually have more time to hit it than you think.

To the OP, If you can get consistent enough hitting it, sometimes it can work as a good surprise to your opponent, as they sometimes spend more time admiring your shot than worrying about returning it back. Depends on the opponent however.

Best tweener I ever hit in college was a nice lob hit over my head where there was a huge area behind the baseline. Ran as hard as I could to get to the ball, only option was a tweener, my opponent came to the net, and I hit a lob winner over his head. He told me he had never seen that before.