PDA

View Full Version : Roddick's serve vs Sampras' serve

kicker75
07-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Just a question. Who do you think had the better 1st/2nd serve, Roddick or Sampras? This question is posed only in respect to their serves, not any other attribute to their games.

mabuhay
07-11-2005, 12:41 PM
i'll go with sampras because he can disguise and place the ball very well.

TwistServe
07-11-2005, 12:42 PM
Sampras of course. He is the master of the serve. The best serve in the game doesn't necessarily have to be the fastest serve.

Exile
07-11-2005, 12:44 PM
The roddick serve isn't hard to read, it might be hard to catch up with, but thats about it.

ibemadskillzz
07-11-2005, 12:51 PM
sampras had precision. roddick has more speed. people say that sampras's serve had more weight than a normal player. his serve went through a players racquet, made a big hole in their stringbed.

Phil Daddario
07-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Roddicks actually has more rpm and obviously more speed.

The difference is serving under pressure, and disguising. Plus placement.

There was a study about returns that showed that any serve, no matter how fast (as fast as possible, at least) was returnable when hit to the returner. However, when the returner had to move or run to the ball, any serve over 120 mph was enough to produce something not returnable.

Sampras was certainly over 120 mph, and had a lot of spin. Plus it was just consistency and reliability.

Sampras' is better.

mabuhay
07-11-2005, 12:54 PM
sampras had precision. roddick has more speed. people say that sampras's serve had more weight than a normal player. his serve went through a players racquet, made a big hole in their stringbed.

yeah, like rafter's racquet.

Stuck
07-11-2005, 12:57 PM
Sampras - smooth could place it on a dime (seen him do it)
Roddick - very violent and won't last 10 years

Without a doubt Sampras serve over Roddick's

Dr.Lobster
07-11-2005, 01:00 PM
somebody should make a short mpg/gif of the sampras serve going through the strings of rafter's racquet

fedex27
07-11-2005, 01:16 PM
sampras of course, dont be crazy. sampras' serve would have been better if he grew up 5 to 10 years later b/c he wouldnt customize his racquet to be so heavy and could serve better

Grant Morgan
07-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Any body else know why that happend. I know

fedex27
07-11-2005, 01:19 PM
grant im waiting on my email :D
Any body else know why that happend. I know

Dr.Lobster
07-11-2005, 01:19 PM
i've just heard about it happening, i didn't actually see it, but i'm assuming rafter was using gut and it was about to snap.... so he was attempting to hit the return quite hard but the ball just went through eh that's probably wrong, go ahead and tell me

Phil Daddario
07-11-2005, 01:26 PM
It's actually a compliment to Rafter's consistency, I believe.

He was taking all the balls right at the same point on the racquet. With Sampras' "heavy" serve, I guess it just snapped that whole point.

If Rafter could hit it right where he wanted it that frequently (if it wasn't, then the hole wouldn't be ball-shaped, or it might not even have broken), that's extreme skill. If only he stayed on tour longer.

tricky nicky
07-11-2005, 01:36 PM
these are some of the findings of Jon Yandell's advanced tennis research project

http://advancedtennis.com/results/servemen.htm

samprass 1st serve av speed 120mph

rpm range= 2100-4260

av rpm 2699

samprass 2nd serve av speed 85 mph

rpm range= 3900-5357

av rpm= 4623

great info on mens and womens tennis on this site

go see.

regards,

tricky.

PusherMan
07-11-2005, 01:55 PM
"Roddick - very violent and won't last 10 years"

Why do people love to say this? Andy has been throwing down heat for years with no problem. If he was going to have shoulder problems, it would have manifested itself in some form by now. I agree that Sampras had the better serve, but Andy's arm is not going to fall off anytime soon.

asman
07-11-2005, 02:15 PM
I say Sampras.

spinbalz
07-11-2005, 02:18 PM
"Pusherman" if you can remember Rafter, then you should know that for a pro player, shoulder problems can appear at an older age than Roddick's current age, even if a player didn't have any problem in his prime...

PusherMan
07-11-2005, 02:32 PM
"Pusherman" if you can remember Rafter, then you should know that for a pro player, shoulder problems can appear at an older age than Roddick's current age, even if a player didn't have any problem in his prime...

Guess I'll see you in ten years then. I won't forget. BTW, Roddick and Rafter are two different guys. In case you were unaware.

The_Dark_Knight
07-11-2005, 02:35 PM
don't even compare Sampras's serve to Roddick's, Sampras is 1000x better

gugafanatic
07-11-2005, 02:48 PM
Roddick had the intimadation factor with his serve last year, but the top pros now seem to be able to read his serve more easily and this has led to A.Rod taking pace off his first serve and going for more angle. This has resulted in him hitting far fewer aces and being out-aced by guys like Acasuso, Brachialli, ToJo etc.

tennis-n-sc
07-11-2005, 02:56 PM
For some reason, Roddick seems to have taken a little off his serves this year. I look for him to get back on track during the hard court season. I give A-Rod the first serve advantage, narrowly.

Second serve, Pete all the way. He could kill with the second serve and was fearless with placement.

Aykhan Mammadov
07-11-2005, 03:02 PM
Sampras' 2-nd serve is the best forever because nobody takes risk of serving the 2-nd with the same speed as 1-st.

Regarding 1-st probably Roddick's and Ivanisevic's serves are a little faster.

arosen
07-11-2005, 03:06 PM
This guy I played the other day told me he bought his way into a charity event where he got to play a game against Sampras. So he asked Pete to serve and not to hold back and show him the good stuff. So, Pete served 4 aces, the poor guy couldnt even touch the ball, and it was over, "next please". The guy said the ball was spinning away from him like he's never seen the ball spin ever before. I guess that's the RPMs showing.

ClayCourter
07-11-2005, 03:13 PM
How do you dare to compare...

jings
07-11-2005, 05:44 PM
Even just aesthetically there is no comparison.

Pushmaster
07-11-2005, 06:10 PM
#1) Sampras
#2) Goran
#3) Tanner

I'm not even sure if Roddick has the best serve in the game today (fastest, yes). I think Karlovic's might be better.

Sampras has the best serve of all-time IMO.

GotGame?
07-11-2005, 06:15 PM
Sampras has the best serve of all-time IMO.

Speaking of that, Sampras once mentioned that he was curious to know if Pancho Gonzalez was really the best server of all-time? Can anyone back me up on Pancho Gonzalez?

Pushmaster
07-11-2005, 06:21 PM
Speaking of that, Sampras once mentioned that he was curious to know if Pancho Gonzalez was really the best server of all-time? Can anyone back me up on Pancho Gonzalez?
Gonzalas was way before my time, so I don't know. Maybe one of the old-timers can chime in on this?

x Southpaw x
07-11-2005, 06:49 PM
Only one thing I really care/takenotice about Roddick's serve. It's fast, devastating, and a serve I don't want to copy. Too much butt-action. Sticks out his butt every serve. And yes, I'd agree Sampras has best serve of all time, especially his combination of 1st and 2nd serve choices.

AngeloDS
07-11-2005, 07:01 PM
First Serve - Roddick
Second Serve - Sampras

Roddick just has a really high percentage first serve for how fast he's hitting. That's pretty astounding. Really good form.

Sampras second serve is pretty astounding. Very reliable and tricky and on-point.

Cavaleer
07-11-2005, 07:36 PM
i've just heard about it happening, i didn't actually see it, but i'm assuming rafter was using gut and it was about to snap.... so he was attempting to hit the return quite hard but the ball just went through eh that's probably wrong, go ahead and tell me

I saw that play and didn't believe my eyes, just like Rafter didn't.

Rafter was just trying to block it back, little or no backswing, and the ball went straight through his racquet. Rafter looked at his racquet then looked at Sampras and his expression said "WTF!!!!!!"

Then the television camera showed the replay and then they showed the hole in Rafter's stick.

Impressive, to say the least.

Sampras' serve any day over Roddick's, over anyone else's for that matter.

Cavaleer

PusherMan
07-11-2005, 07:56 PM
"Too much butt-action. Sticks out his butt every serve."

LMAO!!!!!!!! Nice observation.

Phil
07-11-2005, 08:04 PM

Rafter was just trying to block it back, little or no backswing, and the ball went straight through his racquet. Rafter looked at his racquet then looked at Sampras and his expression said "WTF!!!!!!"

Then the television camera showed the replay and then they showed the hole in Rafter's stick.

Cavaleer

I saw it too; the serve was long, but Rafter tried to block it back anyway. Ball went straight through the racquet and hit the back wall on a bounce. One of the Jensen bros. was commentating and he said that it looked like something out of a cartoon.

AngeloDS
07-11-2005, 08:47 PM
Woah, do you have a video of this? I want to see this :O! That's amazing... it went through the racquet haha.

ty slothrop
07-11-2005, 08:52 PM
I saw it too; the serve was long, but Rafter tried to block it back anyway. Ball went straight through the racquet and hit the back wall on a bounce. One of the Jensen bros. was commentating and he said that it looked like something out of a cartoon.

cincy masters, right?

Phil
07-11-2005, 08:54 PM
cincy masters, right?

You got it.

ibemadskillzz
07-11-2005, 09:32 PM
Yes, I saw it too. Rafter told me that his racquet was strung at 69 lbs and Sampras was at 85 lbs that day.
Grant Morgan was probably stringing there that day.

x Southpaw x
07-11-2005, 09:33 PM

Cavaleer
I would have been SOOOOOO impressed if it didn't happen like 30 times in POT anime. I guess yeah it did seem like it came out of a cartoon.

asman
07-12-2005, 12:44 AM
Woah, do you have a video of this? I want to see this :O! That's amazing... it went through the racquet haha.

Yes, I have that video on VHS...It was during a final in Cincinnati...quite incredible!

Sampras has the best service motion ever!!! It's absolute perfection!

thejerk
07-12-2005, 12:59 AM
I saw it. It's been a while but I seem to remember the string coming out with the ball. Did that happen or is that just time messing with me?

sarpmas
07-12-2005, 01:57 AM
hope the link works...
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/sarpmas/Pete_Serve_Broke_Rafter_Racket_1999.jpg

Christopher
07-12-2005, 02:47 AM
That is impressive.

To be honest, id rate Roddicks 1st serve up there with the best. No way is it as pretty as Petes, but when its going (and I dont mean serving like he was at Wimbledon, mid 130s, I mean consistent 140s) its unstoppable.

Sampras' second is untouchable though.

laurie
07-12-2005, 03:14 AM
That serve also injured Rafter's shoulder. It happened in the first set tiebreak and Rafter had treatment in the second set.

Rafter said Sampras was serving really hard that day. It was hot and sunny and Rafter kept catching the returns late.

It was an incredible sight.

ty slothrop
07-12-2005, 05:26 AM
hope the link works...
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/sarpmas/Pete_Serve_Broke_Rafter_Racket_1999.jpg

whoopsie, so much for the fawning about rafter's consistency weakening the strings in the sweetspot...

Coda
07-12-2005, 05:30 AM
I may be wrong on this, but I'm sure I've seen a picture right after the return with the ball on the other side of his strings and the hole being in the sweetspot.

federerhoogenbandfan
07-12-2005, 06:55 AM
Overall I think Pete has the superior serve, although Roddicks packs a punch.

AngeloDS
07-12-2005, 07:04 AM
Yes, I have that video on VHS...It was during a final in Cincinnati...quite incredible!

Sampras has the best service motion ever!!! It's absolute perfection!
What year and when? I want to see if I can find the video to buy or something :o!

asman
07-12-2005, 07:18 AM
It was Cincinnati 1999...the final

doriancito
07-12-2005, 07:35 AM
Sampras! he got the ball in ANYHOW!