PDA

View Full Version : New Post - Kick Serve

luishcorreia
10-13-2011, 06:51 AM
I just published a new post in my blog about the kick serve.

I would like to share it with you. If you can, please give me your feedback.

Thanks a lot.
Best regards.

http://online-tennis-blog.blogspot.com/2011/10/how-stella-got-her-kick-back.html

TennisCJC
10-13-2011, 07:19 AM
Basically, your points are correct.

Look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnqYduBcmNQ

Stosur kick serve. Try to stop it at contact around the 17 second mark - as close as you can to ball/string contact.

At contact her racket hand is about 3-4 ball length outside of the contact point. The racket angle from hand to contact is about 45 degrees. I have often wondered why more people don't use this "hand 3-4 lengths outside of contact" to get the 45 degree angle up and thru the ball. If you toss the ball over you L shoulder or head and get the hand outside the ball; it is much easier to get kick in my opinion.

As you described she is swing up and to the side - up and to side fence. You see this sideways swing in a lot of pro kick serves. Sometimes it looks like they are almost swinging parallel to the baseline.

luishcorreia
10-13-2011, 01:24 PM
Excelent video. I love the view from the receiver's point of view.

Thats wicked :)

Thanks a lot. I hope you guys like the blog.

LeeD
10-13-2011, 01:46 PM
What we can't figure out is why, upon seeing the toss location and the reputation of Sam, didn't the returner take the ONE extra step to hit the ball, so her feet are beyond her body, so she can at least TRY to make a recovery to a spot 6' inside her singles sideline.
Her return has little pace, giving her plenty of time, if she was IN balance. But she doesn't take the necessary last step to get into balance.
Not saying WE can effectively return that serve, but we're not 7.0 women or even strong 5.0 men.

Torres
10-13-2011, 02:06 PM
You've made no mention in that blog post of the legs compressing and then pushing up into the stroke, which is another key component of the kick serve, along with hitting up and out. Another point you should mention is that you want to be hitting the ball as its dropping to impart those extra rpms and the importance of RHS in generating spin.

LeeD
10-13-2011, 02:17 PM
I'd think by now, everyone here knows you need rising legs and an upwards and outwards swing.
As for the waiting for dropping ball, that is disputable. I know a former No1 at CalPoly who almost hit his twists on the rise. His ball goes oval, hisses like a snake in heat, and bounces about a foot over my head when I"m standing tall. I"m 5'11".
There is very little momentum to be gained from the dropping ball. A more common reason for tossing high is to give the server TIME to set his trophy position.
Everyone is different, and RoscoeTanner's serve is fast with a low toss, while plenty of guys toss to the moon.

luishcorreia
10-14-2011, 01:39 AM
I didnt mentioned the leg because I think its a well know tip for all serves.

Anyway, the main point I try to make on my post is that using side-spin will improve the kick-serve a lot.

Thank you for reading. I hope you keep comming back.

Cheers.

LeeD
10-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Side spin adds the twist component to a kick serve, so the ball bounces not only higher than returner's shoulder, but also back away from the curving arc of the airborne ball.