PDA

View Full Version : Confidence

TheBoom
10-13-2011, 07:10 PM
So i finished the season playing the top guy in the districe (high ranked in usta as well) and lost 1-6 0-6. Pretty bad thumping it seems but i was in every single game i won only had one or two games where i lost one point the rest i was very much into, i made hm work for the points he won the majority of the time. Now it wasnt like i was going to beat him but i played very well against him execution was just lacking. Now i feel great about my game and where i can take it. Has anyone else had an experience like this where losing to someone in this sort of way this helped them and what they did after to build on the confidence (hope?) they got from the match?

RF20Lennon
10-13-2011, 07:53 PM
So i finished the season playing the top guy in the districe (high ranked in usta as well) and lost 1-6 0-6. Pretty bad thumping it seems but i was in every single game i won only had one or two games where i lost one point the rest i was very much into, i made hm work for the points he won the majority of the time. Now it wasnt like i was going to beat him but i played very well against him execution was just lacking. Now i feel great about my game and where i can take it. Has anyone else had an experience like this where losing to someone in this sort of way this helped them and what they did after to build on the confidence (hope?) they got from the match?

yeah see this is the good thing or cruel thing depending on which side your on in tennis because all the games could be multiple duces but you lose 6-0 becaue your opponent found a way to squeak through. Its all about winning the important points. Normally I tend to have a "special mentality" if you will as in im geared up if its an important point i would suggest you try to go for your shots at the moment not hold back and focus more on the important points.

LeeD
10-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Usually, most people learn as much, or more, from losing than they did when they won.
Loses stay in your memory. Wins you expect.
Tennis is about reaching beyond your ability, lose, then everything else is easier and you ascend to a higher level.
If you only win, you only reach a certain level and never get better.
DJ, Fed, MURRAY, and Nadal have lost TONS of tennis matches to get to where they are.

thug the bunny
10-14-2011, 12:17 PM
I wish I had your situation. When I loose to one of my buddies it's because they played above their usual level and I played like crap. I wish I could find an opponent against whom I could play really well but still get smoked, because that would cause me to reach outside of my current abilities and do some significant growing.

TheBoom
10-14-2011, 01:16 PM
I think if the person is someone you don't normally play you dont know what to expect and will play more true to yourself

blip
10-28-2011, 05:19 PM
I try to change things up when I continue losing the big points. When I am winning them, I can usually see that my opponent is getting tight. When you see that their just getting it back like Wozniaki, you need to attack.

Also, your opponent is gaining confidence while yours is waining after each close win. Tennis is still a thinking game, you need to change with every opponent as much as you can to win.