PDA

View Full Version : If the two-handed backhand is so inherently superior...

thor's hammer
10-14-2011, 06:10 AM
...why doesn't everyone hit a two-handed forehand?

souzahgg
10-14-2011, 06:57 AM
Good question!
And why Fed and Sampras, the best players of all time, use 1HBH???

tennis_balla
10-14-2011, 07:05 AM
If the two-handed backhand is so inherently superior...why doesn't everyone hit a two-handed forehand?

Think about that for a second. Think of the way your arm travels/moves when you hit a forehand and now think about it hitting a backhand. If you cannot understand that then I can't help you.

Besides, two-hander isn't superior. Its easier to learn yes, but to go as far as saying superior...bold statement.

TennisCJC
10-14-2011, 07:08 AM
Counter argument: If Fed had 2HBH of equal quality to the rest of his game, he would have won 20-30 Grand Slams and probably never lost to Nadal.

I just brought that up for the sake of argument.

Sampras said his coach changed him to 1 hand to make him an attacking player and that makes sense. But, there aren't any attacking players left, so we have a plethora of 2HBH.

My op: future is 2hbh topspin with 1 hbh slice. 2 hbh may be a wee bit superior in handling high balls and returning serve which are a big part of todays game.

tennis_balla
10-14-2011, 07:12 AM
TennisCJC, the future is now ;) or rather has been for a while already

TennisCJC
10-14-2011, 07:13 AM
Palm behind racket on forehand which gives plenty of stability. Palm on top of grip on backhand which means you have to depend on more on timing and technique to hit bh agressively.

Also, easy to get body rotation into fh. You don't really use hip or shoulder rotation as much on 1 hb.

Mick
10-14-2011, 07:43 AM
i have seen a lot of amateurs with a good looking 2hbh but not too many with a good looking 1hbh. it is just harder to hit a 1hbh. even djokovic said he switched to a 2hbh when he was younger because he wasn't strong enough to play with a 1hbh.

olliess
10-14-2011, 08:05 AM
Counter argument: If Fed had 2HBH of equal quality to the rest of his game, he would have won 20-30 Grand Slams and probably never lost to Nadal.
Maybe, but would he have looked as good doing it? :wink:

My op: future is 2hbh topspin with 1 hbh slice. 2 hbh may be a wee bit superior in handling high balls and returning serve which are a big part of todays game.
Probably more than a wee bit superior, in terms of shot tolerance and strike zone. Most players simply can't dictate points from the backhand side, against players of their own level. Not consistently, anyway. The closest have overwhelmingly been two-handers.

There's probably some truth as well to the arguments about one-handers tending to have better touch near the net, simply because they're SO used to playing with one hand on the racquet. But as you said, players who make their living attacking the net are few and far between at the moment.

Brian11785
10-14-2011, 08:06 AM

And why don't they hit two-handed serves? :confused:

Seriously though, I hit two hands on both sides. It works for me. MY 2HFH is vastly superior to MY 1HFH. Reach isn't an issue, and the power and stability of the two hands has improved since I switched over. As said earlier in the thread, people claiming that one shot is universally superior to another is near ridiculous.

split-step
10-14-2011, 10:20 AM

Wow. This is one of the more unintelligent questions I've seen posted here.

SystemicAnomaly
10-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Your basic premise is incorrect. The 2-handed BH is not inherently superior to the 1-hander. As tb indicated, it is just easier to learn. Also, you can often get away with a later racket preparation with the 2-hander. OTOH, is will often require more diligent footwork, particularly if you do not also have the 1-handed slice in your arsenal. There are both pros and cons to hitting either 1-handed or 2-handed BHs.

Power Player
10-14-2011, 10:30 AM
TennisCJC, the future is now ;) or rather has been for a while already

LOl..yeah I was going to say, I guess I am posting this from 2015 or something because I have literally done that since the early 90s.

yemenmocha
10-14-2011, 12:38 PM
There's no need to learn volleys any longer, at least to the same degree in the past, and a 1hb was one reason why some coaches/parents wanted kids to switch - make the 1h slice easier to learn, and make it easier to learn 1h backhand volley.

Just this weekend I saw Courier, Chang, Wilander, & Sampras and one of them made the (accurate) snide comment that players don't need to learn to volley any more, like they did in the 80's.

tennis_balla
10-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Accurate remark that volleys are no longer needed? Hardly, they were just being sarcastic. By the way, Nadal has some of the best volleys out there (no joke)

Netspirit
10-14-2011, 01:10 PM

It's superior to the one-handed backhand, but inferior to the single-handed forehand. It is basically a choked (less reach) non-dominant arm "forehand" without the anatomical (scapula) limitations of 1HBH.

tennis_balla
10-14-2011, 01:21 PM
The 2 handed forehand is superior to the one handed backhand?

BreakPoint
10-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Who said the two-handed backhand is inherently superior? :confused:

rfm29
10-14-2011, 01:51 PM

Oh yes, haven't you heard? The 1hbh is obsolete, inferior, unusable in todays modern, heavy spin game. It simply cannot be used. Two hands are always better then one, unless your not talking about a backhand (apparently federer, haas, and all the rest didn't get the memo. but thats to bad for them, they suck, and can't compete anymore)

***Insert sarcasm disclaimer here***

Netspirit
10-14-2011, 01:51 PM
Who said the two-handed backhand is inherently superior? :confused:

There are 3 things that have become obsolete in tennis.

1. Forehand slice in non-defensive situations.
2. Continental forehand grip.
3. One-handed backhand.

It happens in other sports too (for example, the drop-kick in football).

tennis_balla
10-14-2011, 02:15 PM

3. One-handed backhand.

It happens in other sports too (for example, the drop-kick in football).

1. Off a low short ball which you cannot get under with a topspin grip, chip it in and come to the net. Used in doubles a ton.
2. Continental grip forehand? Funny, considering thats the grip a lot use on the volley, serve, stretched out wide balls etc such as off the return.
3. Wawrinka, Federer, Haas, Dimitrov?

Mike2228
10-14-2011, 02:26 PM
I personally haven't found the 2 hander easier than the 1 hander. I guess that just points to the whole thing coming down to preference.

chenc
10-14-2011, 02:37 PM
But OHBH just looks so much sexier!

Mick
10-14-2011, 02:42 PM
But OHBH just looks so much sexier!

only when someone hits it well because it can also be super ugly too :)

rfm29
10-14-2011, 02:47 PM
only when someone hits it well because it can also be super ugly too :)

Well...to be honest that goes for really any stroke. Any shot can look good or bad, depending on if it's hit well or not.

LeeD
10-14-2011, 02:49 PM
As the guys in the know mentioned, 2hbh is not superior or inferior, it's another option.
Quicker to learn, easier to learn when muscles aren't big or developed, it's the choice of the younger generation. And the younger gen tends to get older with time, and keeping is easier than discarding and relearning a new backhand.

Timbo's hopeless slice
10-14-2011, 03:14 PM
Oh yes, haven't you heard? The 1hbh is obsolete, inferior, unusable in todays modern, heavy spin game. It simply cannot be used. Two hands are always better then one, unless your not talking about a backhand (apparently federer, haas, and all the rest didn't get the memo. but thats to bad for them, they suck, and can't compete anymore)

***Insert sarcasm disclaimer here***

and gasquet, don't forget gasquet, would lose to a D 3 college player..

thug the bunny
10-14-2011, 03:16 PM
it's the choice of the younger generation. And the younger gen tends to get older with time, and keeping is easier than discarding and relearning a new backhand.

To everything, turn, turn, turn...and a backhand for everything under heaven.

Manus Domini
10-14-2011, 04:50 PM
If the 2hbh is so superior and far more stable, why is it that some people (like me) can't comprehend it for our lives?

Netspirit
10-14-2011, 05:12 PM
If the 2hbh is so superior and far more stable, why is it that some people (like me) can't comprehend it for our lives?

Me too. I am not ambidextrous enough - my right arm is too dominant.

Plus I've never really tried hard, being a rec player. One-hander gives me fun, and that's what tennis is about to me.

fuzz nation
10-14-2011, 05:13 PM
It's only the superior choice for the players who can hit it better than a one-hander.

Netspirit
10-14-2011, 05:24 PM
1. Off a low short ball which you cannot get under with a topspin grip, chip it in and come to the net. Used in doubles a ton.
2. Continental grip forehand? Funny, considering thats the grip a lot use on the volley, serve, stretched out wide balls etc such as off the return.
3. Wawrinka, Federer, Haas, Dimitrov?

1. Forehand slice is only used in defensive and special situations. It is long obsolete as a primary groundstroke.

2. Same for Continental grip - it is obsolete as the primary groundstroke grip and only used in defensive and other special situations.

3. Same for 1HBH - it's quickly losing popularity as the older players are approaching retirement (and their wannabes are not winning). Soon, very soon, there will be zero players with 1HBH in the top 10. There are zero Slam titles currently held by 1HBH players, and zero Masters 1000.

fuzz nation
10-14-2011, 05:27 PM
There's no need to learn volleys any longer, at least to the same degree in the past, and a 1hb was one reason why some coaches/parents wanted kids to switch - make the 1h slice easier to learn, and make it easier to learn 1h backhand volley.

Just this weekend I saw Courier, Chang, Wilander, & Sampras and one of them made the (accurate) snide comment that players don't need to learn to volley any more, like they did in the 80's.

The powers-that-be among tennis academies around the world are apparently re-examining the art of attacking the net. Now that a generation or two with a game based on lateral movement and baseline bashing are racking up hip injuries, etc. like never before, many are recognizing the need to shorten points by moving forward behind a short ball.

No surprise here, especially with the evolution of the women's game lagging behind the men by a decade or so. Many of the better guys have embraced more of an all-court game, while the women are stuck mostly in the pure baseline power mode. The eventual answer to that will probably be a crop of up and comers who learn the whole package and can volley into daylight... think of Martina Hingis, but with a little more power. Seen Petra Cetkovska in action lately?

netguy
10-14-2011, 05:38 PM
I see all the time 2HBH players beating 1HBH ones and visa versa at any level....

Limpinhitter
10-14-2011, 05:51 PM

Because a 2hb is basically a left handed forehand (for a righty). So, it's basically hitting a forehand on both sides.

LeeD
10-14-2011, 06:02 PM
Netguy...
Are you sure it's the 2hbh that beat's 1hbh players, or can it be that some 2hbh players are better than some 1hbh players.
Can you beat Federer using a 2hbh?
I've lost to lots of 2hbh players, some double bagels like you say. Of course, some of them were 5.5's, while I"m a bad 4.0.
Back when I could actually play OK, I lost 5 and 2 to some French guy from DomincanCollege in SanRafael. Just couldn't fathom it, until he told me he was No1 for his country in Juniors and also #2 on the Domincan team. He also made the semis in the WimbledonJuniors.
I mention this because that's actually the first time i had absolutely no answer to his style of play. Of course, he was 6'3", lefty, and 20 years younger than me.
He's lucky he had a 2hbh, otherwise, I'd beat him easily....:):)

Timbo's hopeless slice
10-14-2011, 06:10 PM
jokes aside, I use both, but the 2HBH is a defensive rally shot for me, lots of spin and hit to areas of the court, the 1HBH is my weapon of choice for finishing a point if I have time to hit it. Sure, I can make a 2HBH under pressure more easily and consistently, but give me a swing and I can hit the1HBH so much harder it's scary...

But I learned 1HBH, and played a lot of squash at one stage so I have a lot more racquet head speed than most folk.

I think the 2HBH will always be more common because it is easier for more people, but it is the 1HBH players that people will prefer to watch..

LeeD
10-14-2011, 06:20 PM
I should certainly never laugh, but it cracks me up when a 6'5" 200lbs muscular guy uses a 2hbh, acts macho, and stuts around the court with full bravado.
Of course, I wouldn't get ONE point off him, but it still looks silly.
Kinda like when a boogie boarder tells everyone he "ripped" the waves. I mean, c'mon, you're not a cripple, try standing up!
To each his own.

Netspirit
10-14-2011, 09:40 PM
Are you sure it's the 2hbh that beat's 1hbh players, or can it be that some 2hbh players are better than some 1hbh players.

I can beat a 3 year old kid with forehand slices, conti FH and 1HBH. It does not prove a thing. It just means my form is better. I am stronger, taller and faster, my footwork is better, my hand-eye coordination is better, my tactical knowledge is better, etc.

In tennis, it is not 1 stroke that beats the opponent, it's the whole package. In that package, there is the backhand stroke.

And in the modern, topspin-heavy, physical, baseline tennis it is hit with 2 arms behind the racket, because it pays off.

I am not saying everybody should switch. Nobody owes me anything. I am saying that the evolution of this sport has lead to 2HBH being the weapon of choice.

You don't have to like it. I, personally, don't like it at all. I play with 1HBH. I love the shot, I love how it feels and looks, I have more spin and control on it than on my forehand (which is too wristy and requires de-Federerization). But I am not blind to argue that 2HBH has not won. It has.

borg number one
10-14-2011, 09:54 PM
Using the two handed backhand for drives and topspin (returns especially), with a one handed slice for rallies, approach shots and for "reach shots" is so fun and versatile. It provides for a great deal of variety. I think that most players in the future will play that way. I do agree that we'll have great players with one backhands too though. It takes more than a great backhand to make a great player. It's only one aspect.

DeShaun
10-14-2011, 10:16 PM
Grip changes can be a hindrance.
Question: Is it easier to transition between grips from a 1hbh to a slice than it is from a 2hbh to a slice? This difference if more than negligible may figure into the comparison between backhands. Good slice off the backhand side is a valuable tool. The tool that can be withdrawn from its holster, so to speak, more easily would also seem to be the more reliable tool.

BreakPoint
10-14-2011, 10:28 PM
Soon, very soon, there will be zero players with 1HBH in the top 10.
But who cares about the Top 10? :confused:

What people care about are the millions of recreational players out there, because that's what almost all of us here are.

BreakPoint
10-14-2011, 10:29 PM
Because a 2hb is basically a left handed forehand (for a righty). So, it's basically hitting a forehand on both sides.
But some people have better backhands than forehands and wish they could hit a 1HBH on both sides. :shock:

tennis_balla
10-15-2011, 01:10 AM
1. Forehand slice is only used in defensive and special situations. It is long obsolete as a primary groundstroke.

2. Same for Continental grip - it is obsolete as the primary groundstroke grip and only used in defensive and other special situations.

3. Same for 1HBH - it's quickly losing popularity as the older players are approaching retirement (and their wannabes are not winning). Soon, very soon, there will be zero players with 1HBH in the top 10. There are zero Slam titles currently held by 1HBH players, and zero Masters 1000.

...and everyone in the 90's thought using full western grips on the forehand was going to be the norm. You should state your case as opinions, not facts.
Also, first you say its obsolete and then you say its obsolete as being the dominant stroke. So which is it?

Edit:

Also, the two handed backhand has been the dominant choice for players on the tour since early-mid 90's. You're about 20yrs behind on your theories. However, saying one handed backhand is obsolete means no one is winning anymore with it and it is a useless stroke, which is untrue. I'm sure next you're going to say that serve & volley is obsolete is well....

fuzz nation
10-15-2011, 04:51 AM
jokes aside, I use both, but the 2HBH is a defensive rally shot for me, lots of spin and hit to areas of the court, the 1HBH is my weapon of choice for finishing a point if I have time to hit it. Sure, I can make a 2HBH under pressure more easily and consistently, but give me a swing and I can hit the1HBH so much harder it's scary...

Ahh, now there's a truly superior choice!!!

Limpinhitter
10-15-2011, 06:01 AM

If the few I've seen, Gene Mayer, Hans Gildemeister, Monica Seles, are representative of 2hf's generally, then I'd have to say yes.

tennis_balla
10-15-2011, 06:15 AM
You're comparing apples to oranges

RF20Lennon
10-15-2011, 06:20 AM

dude imagine how uncomfortable that would be plus you cant even hit the ball hard with pace. Here for a righty the two handed backhand your left holds the racket steady while your right hand gives "the shot" now lets do it with the forehand. On the forehand side your right hand will have to hold the racket steady while your left would have to hit the shot very few people can do that. If your a righty your not giong to have much strength in your left right??

Limpinhitter
10-15-2011, 06:31 AM
You're comparing apples to oranges

The comparison was in your rhetorical question. I was just answering it.

tennis_balla
10-15-2011, 06:49 AM
Yup, I know but you're still comparing apples to oranges. Thats like saying the forehand is superior to the backhand. Well...umm, gee ok then thats cool but kinda pointless.

Limpinhitter
10-15-2011, 07:06 AM
Yup, I know but you're still comparing apples to oranges. Thats like saying the forehand is superior to the backhand. Well...umm, gee ok then thats cool but kinda pointless.

I neither said, nor implied that. It was merely an answer to your question, nothing more. Beyond that, I agree, it was pretty much pointless.

tennis_balla
10-15-2011, 07:28 AM
Yea, pretty much but it wasn't my question I was repeating it because I couldn't believe he asked it to begin with.

sureshs
10-15-2011, 07:38 AM
Coincidentally, Nick is recommending a 2-handed backhand volley in the latest issue of Tennis magazine.

tennis_balla
10-15-2011, 08:18 AM
His column, his opinion. Can't say I agree with it.

Golden Retriever
10-15-2011, 10:02 AM
Well, almost everyone in the top ten men's ranking. 9 out of 10.

Ash_Smith
10-15-2011, 10:34 AM
I still think that with the proliferation of Play+Stay, MiniTennis, Hotshots, Quickstart, whatever it's called where you are, we should see more single handers coming through as the traditional boundaries against single handed backhands for juniors are removed.

At least I hope so!

Cheers

Manus Domini
10-15-2011, 11:04 AM
Me too. I am not ambidextrous enough - my right arm is too dominant.

Plus I've never really tried hard, being a rec player. One-hander gives me fun, and that's what tennis is about to me.

Well, actually I do everything non-tennis (or non-racquet/paddle) related with two hands. I'm lefty in golf and baseball (and all other two-hands-on-object sports), and I can dribble (and almost shoot) a basketball as well lefty as righty. I'm also lefty when it comes to eating and using a mouse.

Oddly enough, my mom thinks I'm a repressed lefty (I highly doubt it, considering almost everything else I do feels so awkward if I don't do it righty), which is why my handwriting is so poor.

so for me, it's not a question of being ambidextrous enough, but something else. I dunno.

Limpinhitter
10-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Well, actually I do everything non-tennis (or non-racquet/paddle) related with two hands. I'm lefty in golf and baseball (and all other two-hands-on-object sports), and I can dribble (and almost shoot) a basketball as well lefty as righty. I'm also lefty when it comes to eating and using a mouse.

Oddly enough, my mom thinks I'm a repressed lefty (I highly doubt it, considering almost everything else I do feels so awkward if I don't do it righty), which is why my handwriting is so poor.

so for me, it's not a question of being ambidextrous enough, but something else. I dunno.

I've been called a repressed lefty, but, enough about politics. If you want to learn a 2hb, the most important thing to understand is that (for a righty), it is basically a left handed forehand. The right hand remains passive. If you can think of it that way, and hit it like a lhf, circular windup and finish over the shoulder, I think you'll have some success.

borg number one
10-15-2011, 03:38 PM
I've been called a repressed lefty, but, enough about politics. If you want to learn a 2hb, the most important thing to understand is that (for a righty), it is basically a left handed forehand. The right hand remains passive. If you can think of it that way, and hit it like a lhf, circular windup and finish over the shoulder, I think you'll have some success.

Good call. When I discovered that in the juniors, it made things so much easier on the backhand side. You get more consistency and you're also able to generate so much power, as the left hand remains relaxed on the follow through. You can whip through the two hander that way. Making the right hand passive through the point of contact is a key point to make.

bhupaes
10-15-2011, 03:58 PM
^^^ Agree with both Limpin' and borg.

Limpinhitter
10-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Good call. When I discovered that in the juniors, it made things so much easier on the backhand side. You get more consistency and you're also able to generate so much power, as the left hand remains relaxed and you can whip through the two hander. Making the right hand passive through the point of contact is a key point to make.

I was a 1hb player until my late 20's. Elbow problems gave me no choice but to switch to a 2hb if I wanted to continue playing. The transition was slow and frustrating. At that time, few men were using a 2hb and even fewer coaches knew how to teach it. So, I hit what was in effect a 1hb with support from the left hand through the hitting zone, then let go with my left hand on the follow through. It was a very reliable but underpowered shot. Once I did discover the left hand forehand concept, it became a weapon.

borg number one
10-15-2011, 04:17 PM
I was a 1hb player until my late 20's. Elbow problems gave me no choice but to switch to a 2hb if I wanted to continue playing. The transition was slow and frustrating. At that time, few men were using a 2hb and even fewer coaches knew how to teach it. So, I hit what was in effect a 1hb with support from the left hand through the hitting zone, then let go with my left hand on the follow through. It was a very reliable but underpowered shot. Once I did discover the left hand forehand concept, it became a weapon.

I like the one handed slice LH. That's interesting that you made that transition from a 1hb that late. Good for you. I'm guilty of relying too much on my slice sometimes, because it's just so fun to hit. Snap out of it man, I tell myself, rip that two hander! Lol..

Limpinhitter
10-15-2011, 04:39 PM
I like the one handed slice LH. That's interesting that you made that transition from a 1hb that late. Good for you. I'm guilty of relying too much on my slice sometimes, because it's just so fun to hit. Snap out of it man, I tell myself, rip that two hander! Lol..

My 1h slice is still one of my best shots (when my elbow allows). It's reliable, versatile, accurate, I'm able to hit with and absorb power, and most importantly, able to hit balls that are high, low and on the stretch with power. And it's technically such an easy shot to learn. I don't know why more players don't use it.

Manus Domini
10-15-2011, 05:49 PM

Gotcha. I'll try it out like that when I get good enough that I have time to fool around instead of keep my strokes up :)

OTMPut
10-15-2011, 09:31 PM
At the club level 1hbh slice is so effective. It improves % off that wing.
Very few can handle low slices, especially on the forehand side of hackers, newbies with extreme grips.

On the other hand 2hbh often serves up balls with nice pace and right in the strike zone. Much easier to build rhythm in rallies with a guy with 2hbh than a guy with 1hbh and good slice.

dominikk1985
10-16-2011, 01:03 AM

I just brought that up for the sake of argument.

Sampras said his coach changed him to 1 hand to make him an attacking player and that makes sense. But, there aren't any attacking players left, so we have a plethora of 2HBH.

right. fed has the best footwork, best FH and best serve of all time-that's why he is the greatest. if he had novaks or safins BH he would have owned nadal and won much more slams.

OTMPut
10-16-2011, 05:56 AM
right. fed has the best footwork, best FH and best serve of all time-that's why he is the greatest. if he had novaks or safins BH he would have owned nadal and won much more slams.

I think he just would have done as good with a bit of Sampras's clutch serving.

borg number one
10-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Here are two pictures just for fun, but they are pertinent to the discussion. Borg went with the two handed slice, but he did use a one handed slice shot quite often.

http://subdude-site.com/WebPics/WebPicsTennis/TennisStrokes/PLAYERS/borg/tennis_borg_backhand01_840x1142.jpg

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/files_tennis/BORG_Bjorn_19760629_EL_R.jpg

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2005/20050626/sp4.jpg

http://www.tennis-trainers.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Roger-Federer-Slice-en-Wimbledon-07.jpg

Limpinhitter
10-16-2011, 11:17 AM
At the club level 1hbh slice is so effective. It improves % off that wing.
Very few can handle low slices, especially on the forehand side of hackers, newbies with extreme grips.

On the other hand 2hbh often serves up balls with nice pace and right in the strike zone. Much easier to build rhythm in rallies with a guy with 2hbh than a guy with 1hbh and good slice.

I think a 1hb slice can be effective at any level, depending on your definition of effective. If you are looking to: stay in a point, make your opponent generate his own power and induce an UE, keep your opponent behind the baseline, recover from being out of position, add variety to disrupt an opponent's rhythm, chip the ball dtl for a low skidding approach shot, for all of these things a 1hb slice can be very effective. If you're looking to bash from the baseline, it's not very effective compared to a 2hb.

PS: The set-up for a 2hb is much more demanding than for a slice. So, if you find yourself unable to get set up for a 2hb, for what ever reason, it's nice to have the option to just slice it back deep and try again.

Frank Silbermann
10-16-2011, 05:22 PM

3. One-handed backhand.

It happens in other sports too (for example, the drop-kick in football). Here is Adriano Panatta hitting a forehand with a full-continental grip:

http://www.espn.co.uk/cricket/sport/image/24549.html?filter=1;page=1;year=1976

Here is a modern college player hitting a forehand using the very same grip:

http://www.secsportsfan.com/images/tennis-forehand.jpg

There is one small difference, I must admit. The modern player is hitting her forehand using the opposite side of the string bed....

Manus Domini
10-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Here is Adriano Panatta hitting a forehand with a full-continental grip:

http://www.espn.co.uk/cricket/sport/image/24549.html?filter=1;page=1;year=1976

Here is a modern college player hitting a forehand using the very same grip:

http://www.secsportsfan.com/images/tennis-forehand.jpg

There is one small difference, I must admit. The modern player is hitting her forehand using the opposite side of the string bed....

Isn't that Western, not Hawaiin grip?