PDA

View Full Version : How many Titles will Nadal have been year end?

TheGreatBernie
07-11-2005, 03:15 PM
He has 7 titles now. There are six clay court tournaments left. Do you think Nadal will try and win the rest of them? He'll total for 13 on the year if he can do it.

Note: My mistake. There are six clay court tournaments left, but 2 overlap. I suppose it would be possible for 5, but realistically he could make 4 of them.

Lakoste
07-11-2005, 05:35 PM
if nadal has 7 titles now why would one of the choices be 6? but i would guess 9-10

VamosRafa
07-11-2005, 06:18 PM
Rafa has two more claycourt events on his schedule -- Stuttgart and Umag. I'd say he'll definitely play Stuttgart, but if he goes deep into that event, he could pass on Umag and spend the time preparing for the US hardcourts.

He cannot gain many more points, if any, in optional events; he has to focus on the requireds, and the clay ones are over. He did commit to these clay events earlier in this year, and he likes to honor his commitments. But I don't think he'll risk arriving in Montreal weary and unprepared simply to try to gain two more optional titles with no points attached.

Phil Daddario
07-11-2005, 06:20 PM
He's aiming for a US Open appearance.

I don't doubt that he's going to dominate the clay court titles, but he really needs time to recover and prepare for the change in surfaces.

VamosRafa
07-11-2005, 06:33 PM
I agree, Phil. But it's tough when you commit to events when you are No. 51 in the world and need to improve your ranking -- and then find out later, you can only improve your ranking by playing other events.

And Rafa is very committed to improving his game on all surfaces. He said in an interview yesterday, as translated from Spanish:

My goal is to become number one in the world, but I'm aware that in order to do so I must play well on all surfaces. I'm going to go as far as I can. If 2 is as far as I can go, then it is No. 2; but if it's 3, it will be 3. But if I become number 1 and I can win another Grand Slam, which is what I want, I'll retire knowing that I've done a good job.

TwistServe
07-11-2005, 07:24 PM
Rafa has two more claycourt events on his schedule -- Stuttgart and Umag. I'd say he'll definitely play Stuttgart, but if he goes deep into that event, he could pass on Umag and spend the time preparing for the US hardcourts.

He cannot gain many more points, if any, in optional events; he has to focus on the requireds, and the clay ones are over. He did commit to these clay events earlier in this year, and he likes to honor his commitments. But I don't think he'll risk arriving in Montreal weary and unprepared simply to try to gain two more optional titles with no points attached.

Poor rafa! What a delima knowing he will never ever be #1!!!!! On the bright side he can be known as the king of clay for many years.. until he has hip surgery or something.

VamosRafa
07-11-2005, 08:03 PM
I don't think the word "never" is in Rafa's vocabulary -- in either English or Spanish. A year ago none of you (or even me for that matter), thought he'd be King of Clay this year, and in such a dominant fashion. Now that he's done that, virtually at age 18, he's setting his sights on other goals.

Wonder what he'll accomplish now that he's 19. As I said before, it should be interesting.

TwistServe
07-11-2005, 10:48 PM
I don't think the word "never" is in Rafa's vocabulary -- in either English or Spanish. A year ago none of you (or even me for that matter), thought he'd be King of Clay this year, and in such a dominant fashion. Now that he's done that, virtually at age 18, he's setting his sights on other goals.

Wonder what he'll accomplish now that he's 19. As I said before, it should be interesting.

V A M O S !

ATXtennisaddict
07-12-2005, 05:16 AM
if nadal has 7 titles now why would one of the choices be 6? but i would guess 9-10

ROFL ROFL I was thinking the exact same thing! ROFLMAO