PDA

View Full Version : Drop Weight - Typically off correct tension by how many lbs?

borisboris
04-28-2004, 08:30 AM
:roll: DP is usually off tension by how many lbs? Lets say you want 58 lbs, do you set tension weight @ 64? This is with correct tension methods = let head tension for 20 + seconds. Thanks

Gaines Hillix
04-28-2004, 02:21 PM
borisboris, what are you trying to achieve? One would normally set the reference tension on the arm to the desired tension, not something higher. Clamp off as soon as the arm reaches the horizontal position. There is no need to let the tension head sit on the string for 20 secs. unless you are
over-tensioning the string on purpose to try to reduce initial tension loss.

ambro
04-28-2004, 02:46 PM
I thought you were supposed to let it sit for 20 seconds as well for the reason that you stated Gaines. Do you not have to do that?

borisboris
04-28-2004, 06:24 PM
Sorry for the cofusion, I string w/ Touch Turbo or SS Honey and I read a post saying it's a good idea to let the tension hold for 20 + seconds. I thought if you do the ideal technique w/ a drop weight your typically off +/- a few lbs? Thanks for the quick responces.

David Pavlich
04-28-2004, 07:10 PM
Sorry for the cofusion, I string w/ Touch Turbo or SS Honey and I read a post saying it's a good idea to let the tension hold for 20 + seconds. I thought if you do the ideal technique w/ a drop weight your typically off +/- a few lbs? Thanks for the quick responces.

I wouldn't do it. If your concern is tension loss, then give it a good pre-stretch.

As far as the drop weight being off, get yourself a calibrator so that you can check your machine and not guess at what you're doing.

If your machine is correct and you do your part (good clamping practice, proper drop arm placement, etc) your string bed should be quite good.

David

Cruzer
04-29-2004, 07:39 AM
Hasn't this topic of calibrating drop weight machines been discussed several times previously? My understanding is since the basic tension pulling on a drop weight machine is based on the earth's gravity these types of machines never need calibrating unless the planet's gravity is changing. I have not heard of that happening recently.
David, you have provided the answer the writer probably needs to hear and that is pre-stretch the string prior to stringing.

normnmiles
04-29-2004, 08:00 AM
I think it would be a good idea to use a initially calibrator to determine accurate tension locations on the sliding scale. Such that you know where 58lbs is located on the arm and not "guess" at it using the scale on the machine.

borisboris
04-29-2004, 09:27 AM
That's the best idea, I'll try to find a local stringer to borrow one. Thanks for the input. My 60lbs felt like 63.

Reza
04-29-2004, 12:31 PM
thats probably because other machines have a variable other than gravity ie. electronics/weakening of strings. My experience is that a drop weight job done myself is usually as consistent, if not more consistent than jobs I have done or have had done for me on different types of stringers. The reason for this is that a drop weight lets you control all the variables, and if you get good clamps, you can control all those variables

Reza
04-29-2004, 12:32 PM
did I say weakening of strings, I meant springs, sorry