PDA

View Full Version : Which pro/s got you into the game?

GotGame?
07-11-2005, 03:47 PM
Which pro/s got you into this game of tennis? What made you fall in love with tennis?

For me, it had to be Sampras and Agassi. Their rivalry lighted up the scene when I first saw tennis, and their playing styles contrast so much. They turned out to be legends in their own ways. From then until even now, I look to achieve their greatness some day.

Seles influenced me a bit I guess also, but that really came through my dad being a fan of her.

Rickson
07-11-2005, 03:49 PM
Andy Roddick with his monster serve.

AngeloDS
07-11-2005, 03:57 PM
Oddly, in middle school I really liked Badminton. Friends and I would stay after school to play it in the gym. I was a pro-badminton person. Then, I found the sport of Tennis when my friends dad let us borrow some racquets.

There's a few tennis courts where I live. At the Navy Base, down the street from where I live and the High School Tennis Courts.

But when I first started watching. It was Pete Sampras and Agassi.

Max G.
07-11-2005, 04:08 PM
I saw a couple of matches involving don't-remember-who baseliners. Then I saw Sampras serve and volley and was hooked.

junglebrothers66
07-11-2005, 04:09 PM
2 words for you GORAN WIMBLEDON 2001

BEST TOURNMENT EVER
HE CAME FROM NO WHERE TO BEAT jonsson , moya , roddick , rusedski, safin , henman , rafter,after the final i bought my first racquet and never looked back,,,,,,,

Babblelot
07-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Wow, I'm a geezer!

First and always: Johnny Mac--no one before or since could touch his combination dominant player and outrageous antics.

Sure, Nastase was out there, but he's no Johnny Mac--one of a kind (period)

Unlike the dignified and respectful Agassi-Sampras rivalry, there was no love lost between McEnroe-Connors early in his career and McEnroe-Lendl at the end of his career. And imagine, McEnroe-Borg was sandwiched in between!

GotGame?
07-11-2005, 04:16 PM
2 words for you GORAN WIMBLEDON 2001

BEST TOURNMENT EVER
HE CAME FROM NO WHERE TO BEAT jonsson , moya , roddick , rusedski, safin , henman , rafter,after the final i bought my first racquet and never looked back,,,,,,,

Definitely one of my highlights also. That whole run up to watching that final against Rafter is memorable.

Crichton
07-11-2005, 04:18 PM
Showing my age by saying Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert. My game more resembles Courier however.

GotGame?
07-11-2005, 04:21 PM
Showing my age by saying Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert. My game more resembles Courier however.

yeah, I keep finding out more and more about the older players each day. I guess my game resembles Wilander.

gugafanatic
07-11-2005, 04:42 PM
Guga's grunt, flowing locks and languid groundstrokes are what attracted me to the game. He brought great colour and character to the court and started doing things with his revolutionary one handed backhand that no man had ever seen before.

MegacedU
07-11-2005, 04:44 PM
I've been a tennis freak forever but what really inspired me to better my game when Andy Roddick went pro. I wanted so badly to be an excellent player. Thanks Andy.

Phil Daddario
07-11-2005, 04:46 PM

If you're old, I'm older. ;)

Laver, baby. Honestly. When Johnny Mac and Evert came around though, I admit it got me into the sport more.

Thomas Tung
07-11-2005, 04:48 PM
Boris Becker and Stefan Edberg. Power and grace. Fire and ice. Explosiveness and steadiness.

Crichton
07-11-2005, 04:51 PM
Never got to see much of Laver, except for the WCT Finals between him and Rosewall. He did a pro-am here once, and at 50+ he still was still amazing!

The_Dark_Knight
07-11-2005, 04:51 PM
i started only like two years ago out of desperation. This "friend" was like stalking me, and i picked golf as my sport of choice, and he did too. So, i erased my mark and picked tennis. When my coach said i had talent, i saw Coria, and i was like i wanna be him, even though i'm a S&Ver

TheGreatBernie
07-11-2005, 04:57 PM
No player really got me into the sport. I enjoyed playing tennis because it was the most difficult sport I had ever played in my life. It's still a reason why I continue to play.

It's not like basketball where you can pick up the ball and try to put it in the basket. It's not football where you pick up the ball and run in one direction. It's not baseball where you hit the ball with the bat. You also cannot watch tennis on television and learn techniques. That can be done with many other sports. Tennis was so much harder for me to learn -- especially since I've never had a private teacher. I've picked up tips from people who bageled me.

Tennis is a very challenging sport. Mentally and physically.

Ash Doyle
07-11-2005, 04:58 PM
My first favorites on the ATP were Michael Chang and Goran Ivanisevic. Back then, I really didn't have a great understanding and respect for the game and was tired of seeing Sampras win all the time. I was rooting for whoever he was playing to beat him.

Craig Sheppard
07-11-2005, 05:15 PM
John McEnroe, Steffi Graf, Andre Agassi, and Stefan Edberg, in no particular order.

HewittSuckz
07-11-2005, 05:28 PM
hands down for me it was when i was watching the 2001 US Open match between Roddick and Hewitt when i realized that i really wanted to start playing. man did roddick get screwed on that call

Sixpointone
07-11-2005, 05:29 PM
The artistry of John McEnroe first prompted me to get a racquet. The ethic of Amanda Coetzer made me work harder to try and get the most out of my game. I could go on and on, but those are the two names that first come to mind.

Phil Daddario
07-11-2005, 05:31 PM
Never got to see much of Laver, except for the WCT Finals between him and Rosewall. He did a pro-am here once, and at 50+ he still was still amazing!

He was THE person to watch when I was a kid.

Big hold on the sport, too. Speaking of 50+ people, I remember hearing about a 55 year old (either that or older) Bobby Riggs taking on everyone somewhere in San Diego. Apparently he was still untouchable. :D

pound cat
07-11-2005, 05:49 PM
None. It was the excitement of skipping class, going to the tennis courts, & playing that got me hooked. It didn't need anyone to inspire me.

tennissavy
07-11-2005, 06:01 PM
I never even watched a tennis match until I received free box seats to the US Open (back in the days when they had a hospitality tent with all the free food). The first pro I saw play was Sabatini, then Graf, then Sampras. It was also then that I decided that women's tennis was far more entertaining. I also grew to hate watching Sampras' serve and volley style as there were no long rallies and all the sets he played went to tiebreaks. I made many trips to the tent for refreshments. Sampras, what a torture to watch.

Rusedski Fan
07-11-2005, 06:06 PM
My dad always liked Bjorn. I was a Lendl guy. My friends went for J-Mac. I modeled my game after Lendl. Still kinda play that way. No emotion or yelling.

@ce
07-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Bjorn Borg - The true ice man

Fedubai
07-11-2005, 06:38 PM
Well, we didn't like pro tennis for a long time. We just liked to hit the ball across the net, didn't even bother with the rules either. When tennis was on we usually didn't watch. Thought the mens game was populated by girly wussies!

But I was flipping channels one day in 2003, and saw this Andy Roddick match, semifinals of the US Open, vs. David Nalbandian. What a match! I loved it, I wanted Nalby to win. What a battle it was. After that it was kind a off for a year, just was doing other things for a while. Then in 2004 I watched the Toronto Masters, and saw Roddick, and guess who: Federer. I wanted Roddick to win the final and was in denial about Federer. Now get this: I didn't like him because of his ponytail and this line of mens stuff he had out. But I have to admit he grew on me, his play was stunning and I was impressed with his attitude. So I started to follow tennis seriously, and the actual game, not just fooling around.

So I guess you could say a combo of Roddick, Nalbandian, and Federer. But when I started watching Federer I became interested in the actual game, all about it. It wasn't just fooling around at the courts, watching a little tennis here and there. Now I'm obsessed!

I love it now, and I'm glad my attitude changed about mens tennis in general and about Federer.

x Southpaw x
07-11-2005, 06:45 PM
Andre Agassi for me. His name was the biggest and he was the best at the time I picked up tennis, so I watched and cheered him. I think Sampras sort of retired or slow-down when I started. My coach mentioned Michael Chang a few times, but I've never watched Chang play. And Andre's so good that he's still playing with the pros even now. He's really a veteran.

littlelleyton
07-12-2005, 02:11 AM
Boris Becker and Steffi Graf for me. BB took the world by storm just as i was bout able to realise how good he was. saw him at wimbledon in 89 and i remember thinking he was the biggest man id ever seen in person. loved his finals aganst edberg but for years could bring myself to liking him for beatuing boris...haha childhood :)

Noelle
07-12-2005, 02:17 AM
I used to watch tennis with my grandfather and uncles, but they were usually tuned in to the men's matches, particularly Sampras and Agassi.

Then I happened to watch a Martina Hingis match. I was hooked and wanted to watch every single one of her matches, and when I stepped onto a court for the first time (I was 13), I wanted to be like her.

What brought me back to watching tennis after Hingis disappeared from the scene was seeing Andy Roddick compete in early 2003. I realized I had missed so much (including Pete's later career) and set to work making things right by watching as much tennis as possible. LOL.

ThunderServe
07-12-2005, 02:18 AM
The Agassi and Sampras matches got me into the game with Agassi's awsome groundies and Pete's bullet of a serve made tennis more exiting than ever before.

asman
07-12-2005, 02:44 AM
Mc Enroe, Edberg, Sampras, Federer these are my tennis masters!

But my game is modelled on Sampras's one. Now, I like so much Federer's forehand, that in my opinion is his step beyond the already perfect allround game of Sampras. The less modern, quite unique, shot in Pete's arsenal was his forehand. But the running one is still the best in the game. Like his serve and volley!

rhubarb
07-12-2005, 02:54 AM
If you're old, I'm older. ;)

Laver, baby. Honestly. When Johnny Mac and Evert came around though, I admit it got me into the sport more.

Borg for me in the late seventies, and McEnroe shortly thereafter.

~*|P3P8|*~
07-12-2005, 03:36 AM
Agassi and Grosjean lol. When I saw a match they played in 2001 I just fell in luv with tennis, dunno why, somethin was just really appealin to me I guess lol.

BTW, this bein my 1st post I just wanna say hi to everbody lol!:) Im ~*|P3P8|*~ (aka Sam).

fantom
07-12-2005, 04:26 AM
Agassi....

bookem
07-12-2005, 04:53 AM
LOL... I'm with the boomers: Laver first, then Muscles, then the master of balance/footwork/explosive repartee...... Nasty Man!

Of course, sometime later there was Carling Bassett, Gabby Sabatini, and Anna for eye candy.... Nothing like having some skills to impart on the gals when they wanted to learn :)!

ATXtennisaddict
07-12-2005, 05:15 AM
I started senior year high school, friend who was on team convinced me and my other friend to join (after school activity). Back then, I didn't know I could get DVDs of matches. I saw a website that sold tapes for $25! No way I could spend that money...so after couple years...I decided I REALLY wanted to improve, so I joined messageboards, found site with DVDs, watched Aussie Open 2005, fell in love with Federer and Safin's match. That was it.

Boom, I become a tennis addict big time.

peter
07-12-2005, 06:22 AM
Björn Borg and then later on Stefan Edberg.

eagle
07-12-2005, 06:45 AM
The King of Swing, Pistol Pete.

r,
eagle

Ben42
07-12-2005, 09:47 AM
Shlomo Glickstein

Ben42
07-12-2005, 09:47 AM
Ok. It was really Mac, but I didn't want to be like everyone else today.

neuspeedjun
07-12-2005, 09:51 AM
Agassi :D

fjgarciap
07-12-2005, 10:02 AM
Although I'm 31 and had taken tennis lessons for short periods of time when I was 12 and 25 I had never seen a pro swing a racquet until year 2003. I was stunned the first time I saw Federer play because of his finesse, Hewitt's determination caught my attention and definetly Agassi taking the Aussie Open that year made me think "this guy is three years older than me and he can play at that level ... why not give it a try?".

I'm yet to get recordings of the best players of history, but the ones that have decisively influenced me are: Agassi, Federer, Sampras, and more lately Nadal and Cañas (now that I'm fitter I fight every point and run down to every ball).

Arafel
07-12-2005, 10:07 AM
<I enjoyed playing tennis because it was the most difficult sport I had ever played in my life.>

You obviously haven't played hockey yet! Just imagine, you have to learn how skate before you can be any good, and then have to coordinate passing and shooting a little puck that's moving quickly.

For me, the hardest part of tennis is the mental part.

North
07-12-2005, 10:07 AM
Laver, McEnroe, Navratilova, Borg.

Arafel
07-12-2005, 10:08 AM
As for who got me into the game, I started playing in 1980, and after seeing McEnroe-Borg was totally hooked. On the women's side, I loved Evert and Tracy Austin. My favorite male player was Connors. He never ever gave up, and played with so much passion.

topspin king
07-12-2005, 10:52 AM
McEnroe- his unique service motion and his net game.

Lendl- the father of today's power baseline game.

Agassi- his colourful sports wear when he was young.

S132p10
07-12-2005, 11:02 AM
Sampras got me into it and Guga made me stay.

araghava
07-12-2005, 11:55 AM
It's interesting that almost no one has mentioned Navratilova even though she possibly had the most complete game in womens tennis and she was amongst the most dominant players.

Ronaldo
07-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Vilas-wanted to emulate his backhand.

RB
07-12-2005, 01:04 PM
Jimmy Connors--When I was around 18 or 19 years old--I remember My Dad called me in to the living room to "watch the way this guy hit the ball" on TV---neither had ever seen anyone hit it so hard for so long and with such abandon...I was hooked.

zorroman
07-12-2005, 01:22 PM
Boris Becker was my tennis god as a kid. In my eyes, he could do no wrong. I devoured every magazine article about Becker that I could find.

Polaris
07-12-2005, 01:43 PM
I began to watch tennis sometime in 1988 because of Becker, Edberg, Navratilova, and Graf. We couldn't afford a racket and lessons, so we tried improvising with badminton rackets and plastic balls on a terrace 4 floors high. The net was a piece of rope strung between a water pipe and a TV antenna. Don't know what it did for my game, but the ball kept flying out of the court, and I climbed more stairs than most people do in their entire lives :). This cooled off in the mid-nineties, because I never felt inspired in the same way by Sampras or Agassi, though we still watched Graf play, and it was as if the whole apartment block cheered for her.

What brought me back to tennis many years later was the realization that, here in the US unlike in India, a tennis racket was easily affordable and courts were free. Today, I love watching Federer and Safin play, and the little inspiration that I gather from the TV, is from them.

mrw
07-12-2005, 02:04 PM
Connors/Borg/Johnny Mac

Steffis' legs, Sharapovas' ***

TheGreatBernie
07-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Back then, I didn't know I could get DVDs of matches.

Where can you get DVDs of matches?

x Southpaw x
07-12-2005, 05:21 PM
Where can you get DVDs of matches?
LOL I didn't know either! I wanna know too =)

ACE of Hearts
07-12-2005, 05:46 PM
The Federer Express, it keeps rolling on :mrgreen: , i am also a tennis buff, i have tapes and DVds of Sampras, Borg, Lendl.I loved watching Sampras, he maded it look easy sometimes!

iscottius
07-12-2005, 05:58 PM
Borg, Courier, Guga, kafelnikov,Agassi, Nalbandian, nadal--in that order

slice bh compliment
07-12-2005, 06:06 PM
You guys have done a god job covering my favorites.
As a youngster, I got into tennis admiring Laver (even well past his prime, the guy was amazing), Nastase and Mac.
Later on -- Boris, Goran, Rios, Pete, Guga and Federer. To a degree, I liked Rafter (guts) and Bruguera (fitness and passing shots).

But noone has mentioned the 'famed' Yannick Noah, who was an absolute blast. What a great spirit ~~~ sort of a high-risk Guga. Sure, he is a frivolous pick with a spotty record, but that's okay ... Noah is my favorite player of all time. What do you say we give Hicham Arazi a little honorable mention?

As for DVD's of matches. I think the coolest/cheapest way is to find a longtime tennis enthusiast with a lot of old recordings. Pick his brain and his video chest [almost all tennis pros have a serious collection just collecting dust]. Borrow some tapes and transfer them to DVD yourself. The machines are pretty inexpensive these days. Just a suggestion.

WARNING: I did just that a few years ago and found some risque, non-tennis material on one of the old man's tapes. Pretty funny. I did enjoy a Rios/Costa match from, like, Monte Carlo '96 or '97 that was awesome. In his collection, I also ran across a great ESPN Davis Cup retrospective and couple of great matches from Key Biscayne in the late nineties: Goran/Chang and Goran/Pete. He also had Kings of the Court, which was cool.

Well, all the best.
---Slice B. H.

wtennis206
07-12-2005, 06:10 PM
I saw an old Johnny Mac match that my dad had.

kanjii
07-12-2005, 11:42 PM
In this order....Borg, Lendl, Wilander, Agassi.

Nothing beats passing shot.

luke_1983uk
07-13-2005, 12:10 AM
The Legend
ANDRE AGASSI

Superhuman
07-14-2006, 07:13 PM
Boris Becker

oscar_2424
07-14-2006, 07:15 PM
Agassi, Sampras and Jaime Yzaga, vamos!

superman1
07-14-2006, 07:32 PM
When I was young I liked Chang and Courier. I liked Chang for his speed.

Then it became Andre Agassi and no one else. He's the guy that inspires my game.

ACE of Hearts
07-14-2006, 07:37 PM
Pete Sampras, Patrick Rafter.I like serve and volley tennis.

yoga
07-14-2006, 07:50 PM
agassi. his approach to tennis that he's gonna attack every single ball, even a defensive lob, struck a cord with me

i started wearing mid cut tennis shoes because of him, and since then never switched

psp2
07-14-2006, 07:59 PM
i got into tennis around '84 or so watching McEnroe, Connors and Martina.

cruise30166
07-14-2006, 08:00 PM
Vilas
Borg
Connors
McEnroe

I graduated from high school in 1977.

The end of the best era of tennis for me came when J-Mac entered the hallowed Wimby courts on July 4th wearing his sweats with a USA flag emblazened on it. He and Borg were great that day and it lasts forever in my mind.

Stuff like that doesn't come around very often.

yoga
07-14-2006, 08:24 PM
Then I happened to watch a Martina Hingis match. I was hooked and wanted to watch every single one of her matches, and when I stepped onto a court for the first time (I was 13), I wanted to be like her.

surprise, surprise. i've always thought that u kinda dislike Hingis, seeing you seed-of-chuckied her ;)

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
07-14-2006, 08:30 PM
Andre Agassi and Pistol Pete.

FEDEXP
07-14-2006, 08:34 PM
Sampras; in fact I recall that the NYTimes magazine had a very long article on Samras and Agassi and I decided then and there that I was a Sampras fan.

maynardsson55
07-14-2006, 08:34 PM
Modeled my game after Thomas Muster and loved Edberg for the qualities he had that I did not, calmness and net play. I absolutely loved Muster, though.

psamp14
07-14-2006, 09:29 PM
pete sampras got me into the game of tennis, and along the way, his rivalries with edberg, becker, stich, and courier early on, and agassi, chang, and ivanisevic through the 90s...

cricri
07-14-2006, 09:43 PM
Pete Sampras and Stefi Graf

ATXtennisaddict
07-14-2006, 09:54 PM
roger federer

jukka1970
07-14-2006, 10:02 PM
Edberg, Becker, Navratilova and Graf. 1988
Wimbledon's got a new queen, long live the old queen. Refering to Navratilova losing to Graf when going for her 7th Wimbledon in a row.

HyperHorse
07-14-2006, 10:17 PM
I think one of the first tennis matches i ever saw on TV was the '86 French Open final between Martina & Steffi...
i think it was Steffi who inspired me first, but really i was attracted to tennis because of it's high degree of skill/dexterity that is required....
Either Steffi or Boris, then i was an admirer of Edberg's kick serve...
the way he held the racquet and arched his back, seemed so foreign to me...
then along came Courier & Sampras & Rafter...
modelled my forehand on Courier's for a while... and my serve on Pete's...
Source of recent inspiration- Rafter for his net play and never say die attitude..

iksmols
07-14-2006, 10:25 PM
Wojtek Fibak .

HyperHorse
07-14-2006, 10:30 PM
Wojtek Fibak .

WHO? nice joke, u spammer...

Woodstock_Tennis
07-14-2006, 11:20 PM
John MacEnroe, without a doubt, he just made the game seem fun.

EliteNinja
07-14-2006, 11:34 PM
Agassi and Sampras.

helloworld
07-14-2006, 11:45 PM
No pros got me into tennis. My mom did...

KBalla08
07-14-2006, 11:47 PM
samp, safin(when he beat samp at USO),roddick, federer

yoga
07-15-2006, 12:01 AM
Back then, I really didn't have a great understanding and respect for the game and was tired of seeing Sampras win all the time. I was rooting for whoever he was playing to beat him. a name comes to mind, Petr Korda. he seemed not a bit intimidated by or had any respect for either Sampras or his game at all, which i admire

typingchamp
07-15-2006, 12:33 AM
Steffi Graf! Anna Kournikova!

Followed by a long period of boredom . . .

Then Rafael Nadal brought me back to men's tennis in a way that I never knew I could ever be brought in.

Rhino
07-15-2006, 01:27 AM
my brother in law was a pro years ago.
but Henri Leconte kept my attention until I was hooked.

flymeng
07-15-2006, 04:02 AM
Suzanne Lenglen. She moved so gracefully like a ballet dance. The beautiful dress and hair band she wore. I can still hit a wicked topspin with my walker. :)

Shabazza
07-15-2006, 04:09 AM
Boris Becker and Stefan Edberg. Power and grace. Fire and ice. Explosiveness and steadiness.
Ditto! Mainly Edberg though. When I was little I watched their Wimby finals and it really got me into the game!

Marat Safinator
07-15-2006, 04:10 AM
safin wearing that silver top, looked cool. and the red shoes he wore in 2002. dumb reason i know but i liked the style, liked how he smashed rackets. goran ivanisevic in 2001. wimbledon will never have another story like that.

tennisprofl
07-15-2006, 04:22 AM
sampras and agassi

peter
07-15-2006, 04:37 AM
First round (when I was around 8-10) or so: Borg, McEnroe, Connors
Later (when I was around 14-15) or so: Edberg, Wilander, Järryd

Fedexeon
07-15-2006, 04:37 AM
Must be Federer. I first noticed tennis when he won the 03' Wimbledon.

Fischer76
07-15-2006, 04:40 AM
Pistol Pete. He fooled me into believing(watching him) that tennis is easy. Still, I'm happy I got into the game.

mctennis
07-15-2006, 12:38 PM
The players from the 70's. They all had different personalities...which made the game interesting. So many now are so....boring to see play. IMHO.

aramis
07-15-2006, 01:51 PM
Juan Carlos Ferrero
Up until 2003 French Open I was just a very casual tennis fan and my favorite was Guga at the time, but I didn't really know anyone else in tennis (besides Agassi, Sampras, and the other big names); but then I saw this guy Ferrero on TV playing Costa in the semis and I was just mesmerized by the way he played from the baseline: his groundstrokes were so fast and stylish and his forehand was a thing of beauty, extremely explosive even on clay. And everything about his movement was spectacular, the sliding, the quick, crisp little steps. It was as if he was standing on a pile of hot coals his footwork was so sizzling. I have yet to see another player who moves like he did, not even Federer. I guess to sum it up, I like watching him play because he was fast, powerful, and consistent. I also learned a lot on how to hit groundstrokes because of him.

Mikael
07-15-2006, 02:05 PM
Jim Courier. Saw one of his matches at the Monte Carlo super 9 in 1994 and that hooked me somehow... my favorite player then became Edberg, then Enqvist...

Zets147
07-15-2006, 02:14 PM
Federer and Safin
I believe I was flipping through the channels and saw some of this match. If I remember correctly they were in their famous tiebreaker. I noticed how the tension shifted once I figured out how the scores were being counted, so the atmosphere and shotmaking are what got me hooked.

Gundam
07-15-2006, 02:18 PM

I've read the match was one of the best. How was it? Does anyone know where I can get a Video copy of the match??

BTW, my answer is Edberg, Rafter, Guga, Cash.

Saito
07-15-2006, 02:25 PM
Edberg, Becker, Lendl, Connors, Cash, Wilander, and Chang.

thejackal
07-15-2006, 03:00 PM
Agassi was the first player i knew by name, but it's gotta be Federer.

Condoleezza
07-15-2006, 03:27 PM
Which pro/s got you into this game of tennis? What made you fall in love with tennis?

For me, it had to be Sampras and Agassi. Their rivalry lighted up the scene when I first saw tennis, and their playing styles contrast so much. They turned out to be legends in their own ways. From then until even now, I look to achieve their greatness some day.

Seles influenced me a bit I guess also, but that really came through my dad being a fan of her.

When I was young Borg, Mac and Lendl impressed me with their great fights (Borg/Mac - Wimbledon 80!).
And later graceful Steffi Graf made me a fan of women's tennis.

Condi

TXKiteboarder
07-15-2006, 03:47 PM
it was Fed in last year's aussie open. I couldnt believe the shots he was making.

i was doing my own thing and saw my roommate watching the aussie open match on TV and I became instant fan of roger.

unjugon
07-15-2006, 03:57 PM
For me, it was when I stumbled upon a Davis Cup final on TV between Sweden and France. I thought Boetsch was such an stylish player I fell in love with the sport.

Also at the time Stich and Siemerink were playing, and I loved watching them.
I have weird tastes I know.

thejerk
07-15-2006, 05:40 PM
Mcenroe was always my favorite. When I saw him yelling at the chair, I realized I might actually like this game. Before that, I thought it was boring.

diegaa
07-15-2006, 06:10 PM
When I started to play tennis I was that young that I didnt know what professional meant. I was around 5.
I grew up watching the first players I can remember watching are Edberg, Becker and Lendl.

EuroMagnum
07-15-2006, 06:16 PM
When I was little I always used to watch Sampras and Agassi in the slams and they were my role-models. I would go down to the courts every day and just hit around (being a little kid, it wasn't much, but I just loved the game). Then for some reason I took like a 3 year break and forgot about it completely. Then, about a year ago I got back into it big time. Now I play every single day, take private lessons with 2 different pros and teach for my town.

So yeah, Sampras and Agassi :p

croatian sensation
07-16-2006, 03:46 AM
No player got me in the game. My mum just took me to the courts. I was like 9 and all I knew about tennis was that Ivanisevic was always losing in Wimby final :-D
But who got me back in the game after more than 5 years of not playing...that was Coria.

theace21
07-16-2006, 06:20 AM
Wojtek Fibak .
A name from the past...A cool name. How about Stan Smith, Bob Lutz, Arthur Ashe and local Californian that was awesome - Whitney Reed.

iceman5151
07-16-2006, 06:23 AM
sapras and his monster serve!

Rickson
07-16-2006, 06:46 AM
Federer and Roddick. I've only been playing since August of 2003 so the year Federer won his first Wimbledon and Roddick won his 1 and only US Open was also the year tennis found a great non pro.

brucie
07-16-2006, 10:09 AM
Weird! when I started my favourite player was Hingis, my role model would be fed now though.

MaxT
07-17-2006, 01:41 PM
Lendle.

asdfsad adfasdfas asdfsdf

GRANITECHIEF
07-17-2006, 02:36 PM
In 1994, while in my 5th year of college, i came home after partying big time in raging downtown San Luis Obispo, flipped on the tube and there was Michael Chang sprinting in for a drop shot, sprinting back to get the lob, and then hitting the mule kick backhand. And he followed it up with a wick fist pump up.

Then my roomate, who is a foot shorter than me and had been playing tennis with the cute girls who lived behind us, asked me to go play. I thought sure, i'll smoke this guy. Didn't quite work out that way as i had no control of the ball. I wasn't going to let that happen again. I practiced serving to targets and rallying on a backboard. Also, US Open started and i followed the whole thing, watching Sampras take the title. Then i kicked my roomies but, hitting 3 aces to start off our set.

I was completely hooked from then on, and i can't wait to get the f**k out of here, so i can hit the court.

na2b
07-19-2006, 03:53 AM
Roddick & Federer. I first started getting into tennis when I watched Roddick play Grosjean in the 2005 Wimby. I wasn't really into tennis then, but then I watched the Roddick-Federer Wimby final and really got into it. I'm still rooting for Roddick now.

Ano
07-19-2006, 10:57 PM

:mrgreen: it's okay to show your age. Btw, I'm 38.

I love the way John McEnroe plays tennis. His drop volley (the best), the way he hits his groundstrokes (so effortless), he often hits his backhand slice with a very short followthrough.

Maybe I'm a minority here, but I really love players who depend more on finnesse than power.

sinatra161
07-19-2006, 11:23 PM
Agassi/Sampras...Watching them play at Wimbledon was always great!

Ano
07-19-2006, 11:42 PM

Hey hyperhorse, Wojtek Fibak was one of the top ten player in the world in the late seventies...!!

Roy
07-20-2006, 02:24 AM
Agassi and Edberg

migjam
07-20-2006, 05:19 AM
Bjorn Borg

MsPiggy
07-20-2006, 04:49 PM
Monica Seles.

Lleyton Hewitt
07-20-2006, 04:52 PM
LLEYTON HEWITT when he beat british hopeful HENMAN in the semi finals of WImbledon 2002.

ricomon
07-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Borg,Laver,Rosewall,Nastase,Newcombe,Panatta,Vilas and Connors when I first started in 1975

hgb765
07-20-2006, 05:28 PM
andy roddick

VolklVenom
07-20-2006, 06:59 PM
borg and safin

zhan
07-20-2006, 07:03 PM
rafael nadal!

Max G.
07-20-2006, 07:49 PM
Sampras, for me.

vegasgt3
07-20-2006, 10:22 PM
Anna Kournakova:mrgreen:

qwerty66
07-20-2006, 10:46 PM
nadal and roddick

bleno567
07-21-2006, 12:09 PM
I remember growing up I didnt have alot of choice as to whether i was going to play tennis, but the first pros that really got me excited about the sport were agassi, Tod Martin, and Sampras(My all time fav). I was all about the americans

gmonfils
07-21-2006, 12:34 PM
James Scott Connors and Andres Gomez... that match at the 1981 US open that went 5 sets! that was a classic! That got me into tennis and I followed them till the end of there careers.

iksmols
07-21-2006, 10:22 PM
It makes me feel old.

TLM_01
07-21-2006, 11:31 PM
Sampras, Agassi, Becker, Connors....the list goes on....

Ivanišević
07-22-2006, 08:58 AM
Goran.
i grew up watching him play..

cabernetjunkie
07-22-2006, 09:01 AM
Borg!!!!!!

Volly master
07-22-2006, 09:08 AM
I loved watching Ivan Lendl play, even though i started to play tennis back in 04, but i watched alot of old videos and footage and i i just loved his game, McEnroe's too.

skip1969
07-22-2006, 09:41 AM
well, i gotta say that what got me into tennis was the fact that i was pretty aloof as a kid, and i wasn't into team sports at all. i didn't talk much, either. so i kindof fell into tennis. didn't play doubles at the start so it was just me against the guy WAY on the other side of the net. and i only had to talk to him at the very end when we shook hands, say "nice match" or something equally brief. as soon as i got my first racquet and stepped onto a court, it was heaven.

as far as watching pros, well i tried to learn a little from everyone. my game was very connors-like when i was young. i thought he was a stud, plus he was a lefty from illinois, like me. but i loved mcenroe, martina, (the lefty net thing that i wanted so badly) and evert, too (the ruthless thing).

95nCode95
07-22-2006, 12:20 PM
Andre Agassi got me into the game.... he's done wonders for this sport because he got into it now im pro

Mr.Federer
07-22-2006, 01:06 PM
Andy Roddick, Andre Agassi and the 2001 wimbledon final with Goran Ivanisevic made me interested in tennis.

PumpCann
07-22-2006, 02:54 PM
I would have to say Ivan Lendel, I loved his style and power as well as his intensisty on the court. Than later I would have to say Patrick Rafter, just an amazing athlete.

Williams4Life- Safin what is going on???

Tezuka Kunimitsu
07-22-2006, 03:40 PM
Andy got me in. His fast serve and forehand did it for me. Then federer got me into different technique, spin serves.

~Joe

prostaff18
07-22-2006, 03:47 PM
The guy who got me into the sport was Hewitt. Then after he didn’t play for like a year I started to like Roddick (I cant understand why). Then when Hewitt got back I went back to him, but then when he played Fed I became an instant Fed fan and never looked back. Once I was a Fed fan I really wanted to get better because I saw how tennis was to be played. When I liked Roddick I just tried to hit the ball really hard every time. Now I am actually good.

Matthew
07-22-2006, 04:58 PM
I started watching just as Roddick started coming into form in 2003 and he was who really got me interested in professional tennis. Its hard to get into ANY sport unless you have someone to root for. Roddick provided a basis and idea of who to root for - young guys and Americans. Soon as I watched more and more tennis and watched more players I began to have favorites and what not. Actually after a year of watching tennis, I'll admit that there wasn't ANYONE who I didn't like!

missbungle
07-22-2006, 05:54 PM
Rafter, Hingis and Hewitt

emcee
07-22-2006, 06:42 PM
Sampras, Roddick, and Guga.

elquien
07-22-2006, 09:22 PM
Seles: I grew up really poor and my family watched Spanish TV all the time. I was at my neighbor’s house and he was watching the Seles Navratilova match that announced her comeback. I knew who she was and her story. But watching her play made me a fan. When I finally got cable in college and started watching tennis I became a fan of Guga though. They both inspired me to take a beginner's tennis class. Ten years later and I am still playing and kicking as$ with loopy strokes and crazy angles. One handed forehand though.

Breaker
07-22-2006, 09:36 PM
Hewitt and Sampras.

punch
07-22-2006, 09:41 PM
Kuerten was my first inspiration, then was Roddick.

ShooterMcMarco
07-22-2006, 11:19 PM
Agassi inspired me to pick up a racquet, several years later Federer renewed my interest.