PDA

View Full Version : Video of my last 2 matches

willroc7
10-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Here is a stupid thing I spent too much time making. Hope you all like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjT8f_Dgk2g

IN HD!

dozu
10-15-2011, 05:41 PM
me thinks -

the face on view might have revealed a flaw on the FH... it gives this impression that your hitting arm often crashes into your core...

this may explain why your misses are into the net, because the collision usually causes the racket face to shut down.

now I am not 100% certain from this short clip... among the pros, Tsonga also gives this 'impression', but his is a technically perfect monster fh.

but most pros, do NOT give this impression that the arm crashes into the body.

willroc7
10-15-2011, 05:52 PM
I don't see it. And unfortunately I miss other places than just the net. I follow through across the body and above the shoulder. My arm does not crash into my body. In the last one I am hitting it crosscourt into the corner so I am trying to add a bit extra pull to the left across my body.

fruitytennis1
10-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Something is off with your fh..I'm thinking you chicken-wing your fh a little in attempting to WW it.

willroc7
10-15-2011, 07:09 PM
It is a good chicken wing.

firstblud
10-15-2011, 09:45 PM
some heavy spin on that FH!

ATP100
10-16-2011, 08:05 AM
Stop running around your backhand.

tennis_balla
10-16-2011, 08:59 AM
The first thing I would work on are your legs and make you learn to load your shot more from them. In the beginning of the video when you had it on slo-mo you can clearly see theres nothing happening with the lower part of your body. This is the same on your serve. Load into the shot from your thighs/quads as if the shot starts from your legs, travels from your mid section to your arm and then wham into your racket and gone is the ball off your racket. Does it make sense? Just watch the return you missed at 0:50 as a good example although a pretty obvious one.

Also last thing, keep that left arm up and straight on your serve as it comes down a bit too early making you not go up after the serve. That in connection with using your legs more will give you a better serve.

HunterST
10-16-2011, 09:24 AM
The first thing I would work on are your legs and make you learn to load your shot more from them. In the beginning of the video when you had it on slo-mo you can clearly see theres nothing happening with the lower part of your body. This is the same on your serve. Load into the shot from your thighs/quads as if the shot starts from your legs, travels from your mid section to your arm and then wham into your racket and gone is the ball off your racket. Does it make sense? Just watch the return you missed at 0:50 as a good example although a pretty obvious one.

Also last thing, keep that left arm up and straight on your serve as it comes down a bit too early making you not go up after the serve. That in connection with using your legs more will give you a better serve.

Are you saying he needs to have more of a "sit and lift" action? It seems like he has decent knee bend and posture on his shots, so I'm guess that you mean he needs to actively push off more?

I can see how that would be true, but I also notice a lot of good players hardly do that at all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8MC6oBjxWQ&feature=feedu

This D1 player doesn't seem to be using much more leg push than OP. I know it's just casual hitting, but it happens in matches too. Is he using the lower body in a way I'm overlooking.

Not trying to argue, just picking your brain.

tennis_balla
10-16-2011, 09:56 AM
HunterST,
I know what you're getting at and I wouldn't call it a sit and lift but then again some might understand it better that way etc just like some say wrist snap while others say pronation on the serve so thats fine. If you watch that guy hit in the video he's got a great transfer going into and through the ball. Now that doesn't always mean its obvious, it can be subtle and that doesn't mean its a transfer going forward into the court like some believe but a transfer into the ball as I like to call it.

The OP has good shots and I wouldn't start working on his technique at all until I got his legs in check. My first impression with his video was that to me his legs weren't working together with the rest of his body. If you watch the guy in your video hitting with Baghdatis or even Baghdatis in the background theres a much better 'set' for the ball with their feet and transfer going through even if they're just hitting easy.

If you watch the OP video, the very first rally he hits some good shots and has his legs moving and working well. Theres a late backhand in the just before the slice that he misses into the net but thats fine, sh*t happens. When he hits the slice he just kinda falls into the shot and of course misses. In my opinion his legs failed him there.
Another example is the return of serve at 0:50 and another still is the OP missing the forehand up the line by stepping forward with his left foot on a wide ball (0:41). What was taught to me in Barcelona at Sanchez-Casal during my certification there was getting the feet into position, loading the shot from your legs and finishing in a way that you can easily recover. On that wide ball you load on your outside leg (right leg for righties), open stance and finish with your weight on your left leg, ready to recover back to the center with ease. If done right you can hit anywhere in the court from that stance and position, disguising your shot better as well.

Having said all that, I've only seen a quick 2min video of his game and know nothing else about how he plays. I'm just commenting on what I see and it isn't much (in terms of content). He is also playing a match and the pressure and match situation makes players play differently. It also exaggerates weaknesses in a players game. Again it isn't much to go on but 2 things I would do if I worked with him.

1. Get him moving better, using his legs and feet better and cover the court more efficiently. He's too far back on shots he shouldn't be.
2. Better racket head drop on his serve and fix that tossing arm from dropping too early. I'd also lay out a rope just in front of the baseline about a foot off the ground (maybe more/less) and make him jump over it on his serve to force him to use his legs more.

Larrysümmers
10-16-2011, 10:40 AM
i cant really comment on the shots. i just wanna say sweet vid

willroc7
10-16-2011, 11:40 AM
Thank you for the comments. My serve is definitely still a work in progress. I will try keeping my left arm up longer and jumping into the court more consistently (I do it about half the time right now).

As for setting my legs on my forehands, I don't really agree with you. The ones in the beginning that I miss, yea my feet are in terrible position and this is more a result of me brain cramping on big points and getting tight. On the forehands after 1:00 (ones that I hit in or for winners), I feel like I'm loading a lot from the legs, no? Most of my forehands I hit with my feet off the ground as a result of pushing up to start my kinetic chain. Maybe it's harder to see because I split up the footage of me setting up from actual contact. Of course sometimes I do a better job than on other hits, but what about the shot at 1:34? Or at 2:10? The one after that I could absolutely have used more legs and hit a better shot in general.

When am I too far behind the court?