PDA

View Full Version : Contrasting styles are nice to watch!

Max G.
07-11-2005, 04:20 PM
Anyhow, just a quick aside about several matches I saw this weekend, on TV.

On Saturday, I watched the two Newport semis - Spadea vs. Goldstein and Moodie vs. Rusedski. Both weren't that good of matches.

Spadea-Goldstein was baseline tennis, with occasional forays to net - but mostly baseline tennis played on fast grasscourts, with neither player knowing how to take advantage of their serves and being broken all of the time. Though there were some exciting rallies, it seemed that the players couldn't really get their hands on a rhythm.

Then the other semi was Moodie-Rusedski - a matchup of two guys whose strengths are their serves and whose weaknesses are their returns. I think there were more unreturned serves in that match than returned ones. Though both players hit some nice volleys at times, when they needed to, it definitely seemed as if the volleys were afterthoughts - with the high quality of their serves, and the low quality of their returns and passing shots, even the serves that were returned needed to be just put in play and the returner would almost never be able to recover and make the pass.

But the final featured a matchup of a big-serving netrusher versus a consistent baseliner - and though they didn't seem (to me) to be playing any better tennis than they had in their semis, the resulting match was IMO much better than either semi. It actually felt like Rusedski needed to actually do something with his volleys, as opposed to the semi where it seemed like he'd get away with bad ones; likewise, for Spadea, he actually needed to take his opportunities when he got them as opposed to the semi where the serve didn't help at all and sloppy points and games could be compensated for later.

And overall, it just seemed like a more complete and worthwhile match than either of the semis.

Anyhow, just my thoughts.

eqc6
07-11-2005, 05:49 PM
Tell me about it! Have you ever seen grandslam matches between Agassi and Rafter? They've had many classic 5 set matches. Pure serve and volleyer vs. pure baseliner, it's just spectacular tennis! Their matches are always a nailbiter. Their such complete opposite in style that it makes every point exciting!

I miss Rafter :(