PDA

View Full Version : espn: ranking of worlds toughest sport

pushing_wins
10-16-2011, 02:10 AM
toughest? or most difficult or most demanding?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills?sort=total_rank#grid

ChopShot
10-16-2011, 03:26 AM
Entirely ridiculous ratings, if you ask me. Rating tennis at a 3.00 for nerve ("the ability to overcome fear") is absolutely ridiculous. Soccer and gymnastics have (by the apparently imbecilic "experts") both been evaluated as requiring more "nerve" - gymnastics vastly so. Tell me, what soccer player or gymnast has to serve out a grand slam final in front of tens of thousands of jeering spectators, let alone millions of T.V. viewers?
It's no surprise that ESPN has three of the most played american sports in the top five - and their ratings are just FAR off in many cases.

gavna
10-16-2011, 03:30 AM
Very interesting and the two that surprise me is Baseball at 9 and Golf!!! All the way down at 51. I can hear now all the nutty golfers who treat their activity (I refuse to accept that golf is a sport...hahaha) as some sort of religious experience and soooo tough. As for baseball I guess hitting a ball moving 90+ with a round bat is freaking amazing and the ability to react when the ball in play makes up for much. But it's so damn slow.

gavna
10-16-2011, 03:40 AM
Entirely ridiculous ratings, if you ask me. Rating tennis at a 3.00 for nerve ("the ability to overcome fear") is absolutely ridiculous. Soccer and gymnastics have (by the apparently imbecilic "experts") both been evaluated as requiring more "nerve" - gymnastics vastly so. Tell me, what soccer player or gymnast has to serve out a grand slam final in front of tens of thousands of jeering spectators, let alone millions of T.V. viewers?
It's no surprise that ESPN has three of the most played american sports in the top five - and their ratings are just FAR off in many cases.

Every top athlete has to play in front of large crowds.....jeez are u kidding me in Soccer you're in front of 100,000 screaming and chanting fans where 50%+ much of the time are routing loudly against you. Try taking a penalty shot or even a corner with that against you.....10x more pressure than tennis. As for gymnastics have you ever looked at a balance beam or the parallel and uneven-parallel bars? Christ gymnasts are amazing and have to have cajones of steel to do they stuff they do. Sorry but the 3.0 for tennis is spot on.

Andreas1965
10-16-2011, 04:17 AM
Hm.... for me being a roadbike-racer for many years it's not easy to understand that.

Going 250 and more km on bad, really bad Belgian or northern French roads with cobblestones, rain, mud... or climbing 3 and more big mountains in high summer heat in France - ON ONE DAY!! - I would rate cycling in terms of toughness much higher.

str8killa1990
10-16-2011, 04:37 AM
cheerleading higher than billiards?

show me a cheerleader that can make 400 consecutive shots in straight pool on a 9ft pro cut diamond table like john schmidt did and tell me about degree of difficulty.

now if john schmidt worked on it he could probley do a cartwheel or whatever but no matter what a cheerleader could never run 400 even if she/he dedicated there life to it.

ridicoulous rankings.

Ronaldo
10-16-2011, 05:03 AM
Water Polo #11, forgetaboutit! #2 behind MMA just for this hat.

http://www.sportswarehouse.co.uk/product_images/g/594/kiefer_mesh_water_polo_hats__62246_zoom.jpg

str8killa1990
10-16-2011, 05:10 AM
Just wanted to add that it took 5 + hours to make that run so i think billiards would have to be number one in all sports(i dont really call it sport but thats besides the point) for anayltic apptiude, a player of that caliber is thinking 10 shots ahead like a good chess player meanwhile keeping focus on stroke mechanics and preparation... a noise in the background can take your eye off the ball and end your run.

fruitytennis1
10-16-2011, 05:35 AM
I think the non-teams sports are much more difficult.(In no particular order) Boxing, tennis, wrestling, and martial arts for example.

Manus Domini
10-16-2011, 06:30 AM
No way football's harder than tennis

Cindysphinx
10-16-2011, 07:05 AM
No way football's harder than tennis

It depends on what position you're talking about.

Given that football has many positions that are highly specialized, I think it should be ranked lower. When the punter has to catch the ball and run full speed while dodging the entire opposing team, I'll be impressed.

Cindy -- thinking the fear factor in tennis is very low because even the ball is soft and fuzzy

Cindysphinx
10-16-2011, 07:07 AM
Oh, and baseball/softball is ranked way too high. The endurance for baseball/softball is higher than for track and field sprinting? I guess that's why Olympic sprinters fall to the track with exhaustion after their races. Sheez.

goober
10-16-2011, 07:13 AM
cheerleading higher than billiards?

show me a cheerleader that can make 400 consecutive shots in straight pool on a 9ft pro cut diamond table like john schmidt did and tell me about degree of difficulty.

now if john schmidt worked on it he could probley do a cartwheel or whatever but no matter what a cheerleader could never run 400 even if she/he dedicated there life to it.

ridicoulous rankings.

You are comparing making 400 shots in a row to a single cartwheel- lol.

I'll go out on a limb and say that John Schmidt could not do this cheer routine no matter how much time he put into it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPsdGrnoXE0

Netzroller
10-16-2011, 07:45 AM
Every top athlete has to play in front of large crowds.....jeez are u kidding me in Soccer you're in front of 100,000 screaming and chanting fans where 50%+ much of the time are routing loudly against you. Try taking a penalty shot or even a corner with that against you.....10x more pressure than tennis. As for gymnastics have you ever looked at a balance beam or the parallel and uneven-parallel bars? Christ gymnasts are amazing and have to have cajones of steel to do they stuff they do. Sorry but the 3.0 for tennis is spot on.

Yes and no. They are talking about the ability to overcome fear. Then it makes a lot of sense to rank tennis low and downhill skiing, rodeo, diving and Auto racing high, because there are a lot more accidents in these disciplines and they involve some of the basic human fears like high speeds and high altitudes, loss of control, suffocation etc.
However, they seem to neglect one very important aspect - mental toughness. I believe tennis is one of the cruelest sport in that department, choking and metality is such an important issue. In tennis, it is all up to you, nobody can help you on the court. Moreover, your opponent always has the chance to turn the match around, force you to play another set after you've had match points etc. In soccer, if it's 3:0 in minute 80 and you're just one of 11 guys on your team, it's basically impossible to screw up. You also don't have problems like one guy getting in your head, because the responsibility is distributed on many shoulders an you're just one part of the equation.
They also gave wrestling a 5.0 even though it's no really a competetive sport. In sports entertainment, you certainly don't need much mental toughness...

Then there are further aspects that haven't been considered at all.
For example, what competiton in your sport is like. A tennis player can play more than 100 matches a year, tell me a professional boxer who had than many fights in his entire professional career. There are guys like Joe Frazier who is consideren an all time great having had 37 fights in his life. That's not even one hard court season for the likes of Federer, Nadal an Djokovic.

Slayer_of_Kings
10-16-2011, 07:49 AM
I don't see a rating for competitive power eating.

Maroon_Tenniskid
10-16-2011, 12:40 PM
Drum Corp International isn't on there? That's kind of odd, considering the level of physicality necessary to be in the top DCI groups.

RoddickAce
10-16-2011, 01:05 PM
Yes and no. They are talking about the ability to overcome fear. Then it makes a lot of sense to rank tennis low and downhill skiing, rodeo, diving and Auto racing high, because there are a lot more accidents in these disciplines and they involve some of the basic human fears like high speeds and high altitudes, loss of control, suffocation etc.
However, they seem to neglect one very important aspect - mental toughness. I believe tennis is one of the cruelest sport in that department, choking and metality is such an important issue. In tennis, it is all up to you, nobody can help you on the court. Moreover, your opponent always has the chance to turn the match around, force you to play another set after you've had match points etc. In soccer, if it's 3:0 in minute 80 and you're just one of 11 guys on your team, it's basically impossible to screw up. You also don't have problems like one guy getting in your head, because the responsibility is distributed on many shoulders an you're just one part of the equation.

Funny thing is, according to ESPN, it takes more nerves to play baseball than canoeing and fencing.

Personally, I think canoeing down rapids or risking being stabbed (if the rapier breaks or if the mask fails) is scarier than pitching/catching a ball and running in a circle.

Also, I agree with you about ESPN's neglect for mental toughness. That is why they rated billiards at 1.63 for nerves.

Ronaldo
10-16-2011, 01:51 PM
Funny thing is, according to ESPN, it takes more nerves to play baseball than canoeing and fencing.

Personally, I think canoeing down rapids or risking being stabbed (if the rapier breaks or if the mask fails) is scarier than pitching/catching a ball and running in a circle.

Also, I agree with you about ESPN's neglect for mental toughness. That is why they rated billiards at 1.63 for nerves.

Take scary from fencing, replace the foil

http://www.ziggytc.net/FOAM_SWORD.jpg

RyKnocks
10-16-2011, 02:16 PM
No mixed martial arts in the top 10?

Crazy....

str8killa1990
10-16-2011, 02:49 PM
You are comparing making 400 shots in a row to a single cartwheel- lol.

I'll go out on a limb and say that John Schmidt could not do this cheer routine no matter how much time he put into it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPsdGrnoXE0

im not even going to watch that video because im not gonna enertain the idea that cheerleading is more difficult than billiards, honestly cheerleading slightly ruins football for me, i have gone to a florida state football game every year for about 4 years now and on the florida state side im usually mid field a couple of rows up and a section to the right....the cheerleaders are right in front of me and after i check them out make a disgusting comment to my friends the novelty of them dissapears as the game starts and then i just wish they would just go away....there annoying chants and little flips or whatever they do just distract me from watching a real game.

Manus Domini
10-16-2011, 03:03 PM

I agree with you, but a rapier is deadly. It's an Epee you have to worry about breaking (I know someone who almost killed his friend because it broke during a lunge).

But I agree. After fencing someone much bigger and stronger than you, it looks a lot less "walk in the park" ish, but it is America rating these, so what do you expec?

Kobble
10-16-2011, 03:08 PM
A joke.

To say water polo, boxing, hockey, or basketball, require more strength than gymnastics is ridiculous. Ring elements push the limits of human strength. Maltese and inverted cross are insanely difficult for any size.

As for nerve, this guy wins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEU7lrtehDs&feature=related

pushing_wins
10-16-2011, 04:24 PM
A joke.

To say water polo, boxing, hockey, or basketball, require more strength than gymnastics is ridiculous. Ring elements push the limits of human strength. Maltese and inverted cross are insanely difficult for any size.

As for nerve, this guy wins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEU7lrtehDs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68fJP35FxyQ

Kobble
10-16-2011, 04:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68fJP35FxyQI saw that a few years back. I don't know how that guy had the balls to get on that as bad as he is at pullups. At least Petit was world class at what he did.

Angle Queen
10-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Bah...to all of it.

I happen to think they've given tennis a fair shake. And considering most of the world's top paying sports are in the Top 10...so does the rest of the world.

But it's quite interesting that several of the top sports are individual: boxing, wrestling, MA, tennis, gymnastics, skiing, rodeo. The others are all "team" oriented and, as Cindy points out, can vary drastically by position. So, in my mind, the individual efforts required to succeed at that individual sport require even more extraordinary individual effort.

Tennis_Monk
10-16-2011, 05:50 PM
I dont see many other sports..Dumb analysis

NickC
10-16-2011, 06:08 PM
It's a pretty bad list.

autumn_leaf
10-16-2011, 06:44 PM
golf is above cheerleading.. lol. omg really? last time i check it's much more difficult doing those flips and being able to toss a person in the air than swinging a golf club.

Timbo's hopeless slice
10-16-2011, 08:20 PM
It depends on what position you're talking about.

Given that football has many positions that are highly specialized, I think it should be ranked lower. When the punter has to catch the ball and run full speed while dodging the entire opposing team, I'll be impressed.Cindy -- thinking the fear factor in tennis is very low because even the ball is soft and fuzzy

Yeah, that would be called Rugby

Essentially similar but played without armour. Or Helmets. Apparently, though, it takes less NERVE than football.

pffft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYt1TOSni4E

(remember, you can't pass forwards)

Oh, and sorry Americans, cheerleading just isn't a sport, ad it is pretty comical that it is even on the list...

ChopShot
10-16-2011, 11:16 PM

Essentially similar but played without armour. Or Helmets. Apparently, though, it takes less NERVE than football.

pffft.

Oh, and sorry Americans, cheerleading just isn't a sport, ad it is pretty comical that it is even on the list...

Agreed. Rugby needs to be somewhere in the top 3. It's (and I say this with quite a bit of playing experience!) an absolutely insane sport - if it weren't for the fact that it predates football, I'd reckon it likely that someone invented it because they found football too pansy. Listed here in order of ridiculous physical requirements:

1. A rugby player must be able to sustain a beating that varies according to position from being mildly unsettling to making 12 rounds ungloved with David Haye look like a leisurely activity. I've seen several Springboks-AB games where the 'Boks shorts went from pristine white to red with blood over the course of the match. There's a separate substitution rule specifically designed for the instances when someone starts leaking blood. Which happens OFTEN. Eye-gouging, at worst, gets you 10 minutes in the sin bin.
2. A rugby player must possess the physical strength to contest upwards of 50 rucks and several scrums in every single match. A nasty ruck looks something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw-Jtok-fPA
3. A rugby player has to be able to keep a running pace for upwards of 80 minutes. However, a rugby player must also have excellent short-burst speed (even the props and locks are quick on their feet) and be able to employ it very often, all the while dodging tackles from forwards weighing upwards of 200 lbs.

I can't think of any sport other than rugby where the above three are all required - nor can I think of any other sport where doing a peruperu Haka (a traditional Maori war dance) is allowed - much less applauded.

LeeD
10-17-2011, 03:43 PM
Toughest.... hmmmm.
Deck hand on an aircraft carrier.
Taxi driver when times are bad. I"ve been shot at twice from the back seat and stabbed twice.
Flying WW11 planes around pylons. You pay for your dumb mistakes.
Race car driver or roadracer....it hurts a bit when you or someone else makes a mistake around you.
Motocross ....well, some people fall down go ouch.
Tennis? Nothing happens except your EGO get's bruised, which happens in all the above when you make a mistake.

Bagumbawalla
10-17-2011, 04:08 PM
To become a professional in any sport requitres years of training/practice. Few people can go from pro in one sport to another.

On the other hand, many people can go out and play a variety of sports- baseball, billiards, football, basketball and so on- just for the fun of it-- at a non-competitive level-- with almost no background in the sport except knowing the rules.

However, even professional (non-tennis) athletes, would find it difficult to play a set of tennis- just walking on to the courts for the first time.

Manus Domini
10-17-2011, 04:31 PM
Toughest.... hmmmm.
Deck hand on an aircraft carrier.
Taxi driver when times are bad. I"ve been shot at twice from the back seat and stabbed twice.

Are you Rasputin?

Manus Domini
10-17-2011, 04:32 PM

pffft.

Rugby reminds me of a Bad War

LeeD
10-17-2011, 04:54 PM
Full contact without pads or helmets.
Didn't we all play tackle football 11 on 11, or 7 on 7, in junior high? Since NOBODY had pads, it evened the playing field. Twas no tougher to tackle guys 100 lbs heavier than if we both had pads and helmet.
If you want to play football, you didn't play "touch" or flag. That was for pansies.
Funny, then you BECOME a pansy after a year of football with pads, helmets, and cleats.

flyinghippos101
10-17-2011, 05:09 PM
This list has been posted before and everyone agrees that this is an absolute garbage of a list. Rugby should be at the very least in top 4, it's a monster of a sport to play casually let alone professionally.

And just take a look at something like badminton. 1.25 for nerve? Are they for real?

Methinks these analysts are the bros you'd find in your average western bar.

Manus Domini
10-17-2011, 06:15 PM
Well, these beat Rugby somehow:

Football for "taking physical punishment"
Surfing for nerve
Tennis for endurance.

Now, I can kind of get tennis, but still, isn't rugby continuous play of constant running without breaks or something?

LeeD
10-17-2011, 07:07 PM
You should watch Rugby sometimes. The Worlds is on now on Universal Sports, or was, last week. Similar to soccer, there are long periods of cruising, the action is mainly 5 guys around the ball, and of course, the athletes are WORLD CLASS, like football, basketball, soccer, or any other sport, at that level.
A top athlete can cruise in ANY sport.
But if the penalty for a MISTAKE is mayhem and injury, THEN the ante goes up.
Like surfing Pipeline or a 7' jacking day.
Like racing the pylons with your hi mod P-51 in Nevada.
And of course, like piloting the Indy car in a big hungry fleet.

dennis10is
10-17-2011, 07:30 PM
Tennis is the toughest sport in the world, no question.

1: You have to constantly make sure that your outfit is the latest. That the cleaners or maid did not make a mistake cleaning your clothes.

2: You have to stay focus when playing and try not to check your stocks during change over. This takes great concentration.

3: Sometimes, the sun gets in your eyes even though you have those huge desginer label, custom sun glasses.

4: The hot pro that you slept with may tell your wife that you are sleeping with her, there goes another 2M diamond ring or necklace or whatever to keep her married to you.

5: A ball may roll into your court, and you will have to chastise a fellow club member that she or he is not training their ball people well enough.

As you can see, tennis is tough.

flyinghippos101
10-17-2011, 07:38 PM
Well, these beat Rugby somehow:

Football for "taking physical punishment"
Surfing for nerve
Tennis for endurance.

Now, I can kind of get tennis, but still, isn't rugby continuous play of constant running without breaks or something?

Yeah. Which, according to these bozos, means that rugby is less physically intensive than football where most play lasts a grand total of 9 seconds max.

pushing_wins
10-17-2011, 08:37 PM
RIP Dan Wheldon . open wheel racers are the true tough guys in sport.

1.7% chance of fatality starting in the Indy 500

0.00005% chance of a police office not making it through the day