PDA

View Full Version : Serving on duece side vs the ad

crash1929
10-16-2011, 12:15 PM
What is different between serving on the duece vs the ad sides.

InspectorRacquet
10-16-2011, 12:50 PM

Right handers on deuce: Easier to slice serve out wide, setting up down the line winners. It is more difficult to hit up the line than out wide.

Right handers on ad: Easier to hit up the line for a possible ace or unreturnable serve. It is more difficult to hit out wide to pull the opponent off the court.

Lefties: Vice versa.

At the very basic: Deuce side serves on the right, Ad on the left.

Really, the main difference is your options in setting up the point. Your options change depending on the ability of your opponent and whether he she is left/right handed and is better at returning on the ad/deuce side.

Manus Domini
10-16-2011, 02:56 PM
For me (righty):

Deuce, I am almost always screwed cause I have no real service weapons on that side (no slice serve, except by luck, and no real flat), my only option is to kick it into my opponent or hit it down the T

Ad, I can easily pull my opponent out wide, setting the point up for an eas(ier) put away

LuckyR
10-18-2011, 09:29 AM

Do you have a specific question?

skiracer55
10-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Do you have a specific question?

...and the way you approach serving on a specific side depends on what you can (or cannot) do, per what the other posters have said. I can move my serve around to pretty much any place I like in either box, and I can vary spins and speeds, so where I'm going to serve on a specific side and how I'm going to serve depends on what I think will work for a specific point...

DeShaun
10-18-2011, 11:28 AM
A pure slice swing path occurs more easily for me serving to the deuce, while a pure topspin more so to the ad. So, serving out wide to the deuce I really come around the outside of the ball and prefer tossing it more to my right than if serving to the ad where my toss is aimed more directly overhead and I brush more directly up the back of the ball. This is because I am aiming to pull the opponent out wide. On the other hand, if I'm aiming to go up the T, lately I've been finding it more often in the deuce box than the ad, so there's something mechanical that I need to address about serving up the T to the ad side. As for body serves, I have the least control over these and usually just swing a little harder with some mix of top and slice, while aiming as deep as possible for the middle in either box.

W Cats
10-18-2011, 11:31 AM
6 game points on the ad side and only 2 gamepoints on the duce side. Practice lots on the ad side:):)

escii_35
10-18-2011, 11:52 AM
For me (righty):

Deuce, I am almost always screwed cause I have no real service weapons on that side (no slice serve, except by luck, and no real flat), my only option is to kick it into my opponent or hit it down the T

Ad, I can easily pull my opponent out wide, setting the point up for an eas(ier) put away

Ditto:

Deuce has two serves, Kick to the backhand and the 80% of the time it just goes in serve (I usually serve 2 first serves.) People who play me a lot tend to shade to the T because they know my slice serve is totally random.

On the ad I can hit every serve in the book even the twist but it torques the hell out of my back.

TheBoom
10-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Well if i'm serving well it doesnt matter i can hit flat wide on either side setting me up in the middle of the court for a putaway or something real aggresive. When i dont have that control hard flat into the body on both sides with slice wide on the deuce side or down the t on the ad side. (i have no real kick serve) being a righty limits options on the ad side but being 6'6" is a great advantage hitting hard and flat out wide on the ad side gives opponents he*l