PDA

View Full Version : Swing paths: FH & 2HBH

Osteo UK
10-16-2011, 02:50 PM
I'm a right-handed FH, left 2HBH and was casually playing around on the wall hitting as a 'lefty' curious to see what I might observe by reversing my strokes (I'm right-handed normally, so in this case with my 2HBH, my RH was choked up the grip, LH at the butt).

Ignoring the differences in footwork and stances, what similarities and differences are noticed in the swing paths and contact points for a FH and a 2HBH?

LeeD
10-16-2011, 06:07 PM
Both sides go forwards?
Seriously, most 2hbh's are hit flatter, so flatter swingpath. And since the whole stroke is shorter, that tends to promote a flatter ball.

Osteo UK
10-17-2011, 04:10 AM
Both sides go forwards?
Seriously, most 2hbh's are hit flatter, so flatter swingpath. And since the whole stroke is shorter, that tends to promote a flatter ball.

I'm more interested in the contact point and as to whether it is any closer/further away from the body.

It all came about as I'm recovering from an elbow problem on my dominant right side after too many matches and way too much service practice trying to generate power (which didn't make any difference in the end anyway).

I started hitting against the wall and working on my 2HBH by also using a single hander as a co-ordination drill. I then tried a 2HBH on the "wrong side" to see if I could learn anything and realised that I hit it closer to my body than I do with my standard FH.

So the question maybe needs re-phrasing:

A 2HBH swing limits you when hitting wider balls and therefore you have to hit it closer to your body anyway - should a one hand FH also be hit from a similar position rather than reaching out?

Having my dominant hand choked up will probably make it a closer contact point anyway, but how different are those contact points and swing paths?

LeeD
10-17-2011, 03:24 PM
There's distance from the body, and there's distance in front of your front shoulder, like taking the ball very early.
FH, can usually adjust impact zone.
2hbh, well, you have less reach, and your can't hit out front like a 1hbh topspin backhand, so there.

thug the bunny
10-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Just my 0.02, don't overthink things. I have hit with the off hand for giggles and it was cool to hit the 2HFH with the right on top, but for your normal play, I guess I approach the ball with a certain distance away from my core in mind. Of course all bets are off when you have to get or suddenly adjust.

Osteo UK
10-18-2011, 12:12 AM
Just my 0.02, don't overthink things.

Couldn't agree with you more.

One thing we've all noticed when coaching though is that where we *think* we contact the ball and where we actually *do* contact it, are not necessarly the same thing.