PDA

View Full Version : Rate these guys

joesucks
10-18-2011, 12:56 PM
This is supposed to be funny, to all the people worried about bio-mechanics and aesthetics, pronation etc., we worry too much about all this, the guy in the black T-Shirt can hit but the guy in White T-Shirt isn't sticking his arm out while hitting is forehand, his back hand at best is weird, the core rotation is abysmal, what's with his racket take back.
Would my fellow TT'ers rate him at 2.5 at best?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ96dPX9trw&feature=related

rdis10093
10-18-2011, 01:09 PM
I don't understand, they are pros

TheOneHander
10-18-2011, 01:17 PM
I don't understand, they are pros

What are you talking about? The guy in the white missed the most routine volley at 0:20, it looks like he's never been at net before. Not to mention the prehistoric continental groundstrokes-he looks 3.0, maybe 3.5 at best. The guy in black has pretty solid technique, but I saw from some of his other YouTube videos that his serve really isn't a weapon. Because you need a solid serve to compete at higher levels, I'd say he's a 4.0, maybe a 4.5 if he could cut down the unforced errors and actually bend his knees every once in a while.

TTMR
10-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Neither guy seems to hit with any power and the old guy's forehand is all wrist.
It looks like he has never been trained in proper technique.
Probably started out as a last minute alternate for a mixed seniors doubles team.
The tall guy has some potential but he needs to hit the gym for both cardio and strength training.
If his groundstrokes are this pushy I can't imagine how much of a puffball his serve must be.
These guys hit this slowly during practice; imagine how much tighter they are during match play.

Old guy weak 3.0, tall guy strong 3.0/low level 3.5. 2.5 in SoCal.

BeGreat
10-18-2011, 02:22 PM
With better FOOTWORK, more coaching from someone at TT, and lower string tension, the old guy can learn to hit with some power. the tall guy, with better FOOTWORK, higher tension, with perhaps a poly-natural blend (poly on the crosses, of courses; never on the mains! duh!), can MAYBE become a 4.5 in about a year.

THE KEY IS FOOTWORK. footwork is ALWAYS THE ANSWER TO EVERYTHING.

why did the chicken cross the road?
because he had great footwork!!!!!!!

Roy125
10-18-2011, 02:27 PM
These guys aren't any good at all...

dozu
10-18-2011, 03:06 PM
mac is sure to be missed... but what are the odds that we'll see another santoro in our life time?

very very slim.

Timbo's hopeless slice
10-18-2011, 03:09 PM
you see, Dozu, what you are missing is that the old guys swings the racquet (slowly) with his arm, instead of using his whole body to swing the arm connected to the racquet.

just poor technique, 3.0 on his best day in Hawaii..

The tall guy? Maybe he could get a doubles gig at a lower D-3 school somewhere..

dozu
10-18-2011, 03:20 PM
you see, Dozu, what you are missing is that the old guys swings the racquet (slowly) with his arm, instead of using his whole body to swing the arm connected to the racquet.

just poor technique, 3.0 on his best day in Hawaii..

sit and lift with the left leg on all shots... kinetic chain from the ground up, naturally late contact with conti grip.

3.0 guys don't do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19gmJilFKlI&feature=relmfu

Timbo's hopeless slice
10-18-2011, 03:26 PM
pffft.

you have no sense of humour!

joesucks
10-19-2011, 06:20 AM
If I really could mask those faces ... it would have been interesting to see some of the comments on how these players could have improved in every aspect of the game

danno123
10-19-2011, 07:07 AM
I've made the same point before. http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/archive/index.php/t-359785.html but I used this video, which shows that guy's groundstrokes in slow motion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dJtQtDBgOQ

You can't tell how good a player is just by looking at how "pretty" his strokes are. That's why I really wonder whether these college videos that kids put up are even watched by college coaches. If I was a coach, I'd want to see a kid's match record, not a video of his strokes.