PDA

View Full Version : Applying for the Peace Corps

autumn_leaf
10-19-2011, 09:48 AM
One of the things I always planned to do was give back to the community and to people less fortunate than I am. I'm still applying to jobs here in the states, but since I am in my early twenties and not in a relationship I thought this would be the perfect time to apply for this type of commitment.

Other agencies I am looking into are Americorps and CUSO-VSO. I would be interested in any other type of agencies like this, so if anyone has any suggestions or preferences feel free to explain.

Also, I know there are people wondering why people join the Peace Corps when they could be helping Americans. I do not want this to be a part of this conversation because for me it's about optimizing my skill set if possible to help others, no matter their nationality.

r2473
10-19-2011, 01:51 PM
Go for it.

I met an American girl who was in the Peace Corps (or something like that) living in a small Polish town about 50 miles from the Russian border.

She was insanely bored and unbelievably "lonley".

Think about your day-to-day life before signing the papers, not just about that warm fuzzy feeling you will get from "helping others".

Kevin T
10-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Agree with r2. A good friend from college did the Peace Corps and while she appreciated the experience, she's not sure she would do it again. She was hoping for Africa or South America but got Armenia...and she's a vegetarian. She was a hefty gal but lost ~ 75# the first year due to "poor tolerance" of the local cuisine. Like r2 said, she mentioned being bored and lonely a lot. Her living quarters also came with a glamorous "out house"-big fun during Armenian winters. I got a collect call from her on Christmas one year...only cost ~$65 for 5 minutes. :) Thing long and hard and seriously consider Americorps.

angharad
10-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Americorps is a great program. I believe the commitment is only about a year, so it might be easier to adjust.

One thing about the Peace Corps: They keep you waiting. A friend of mine was accepted and had to wait about 6 months before actually starting. He worked at a local non-profit in exchange for room and board until he left. A "regular" job wasn't an option because of how quickly he knew he'd have to leave.

Fifth Set
10-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Have you ever visited or lived in a country outside of the Western world?

Hate to say it, but standards are lower. In some cases, much lower. Living conditions, safety, friendliness, treatment of minorities...pretty much everything.

Make sure you are comfortable with that, or it could feel more like a prison sentence.

autumn_leaf
10-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Have you ever visited or lived in a country outside of the Western world?

Hate to say it, but standards are lower. In some cases, much lower. Living conditions, safety, friendliness, treatment of minorities...pretty much everything.

Make sure you are comfortable with that, or it could feel more like a prison sentence.

I was just in Hong Kong and mainland China this year. I know they are pretty much westernized in terms of standards of living now, but I still got the occasional squat toilets and hoses as faucets.

As to the others. I know about the boredom and the long wait for the Peace Corps. I am most likely going to apply to multiple agencies and see what the offers are. I want to know that I will actually be helping instead of just sitting around like some people end up doing.

And Americorp is only a 1 year commitment and they let you choose where and what you want to do so they are definitely in the consideration.

autumn_leaf
10-19-2011, 03:44 PM
For fun. This is one of my sis' favorite cadence in the army lol.

"There are no Airborne Rangers in the Peace Corps.
Because they travel to foreign lands; Smoking dope and holding hands;
Oh, there are no Airborne Rangers in the Peace Corps."

ATXtennisaddict
10-19-2011, 06:42 PM
I'll share one thing with you though. Once you do all that, come back, and want to talk about your experience with your friends, they'll listen to you for 5 mins and never ask you about it again.

I took a year to backpack around the world to travel to 40+ countries and when I got back, all I got from people (outside of close friends) were "How was it?" "What was your favorite?" and that's it. They care to hear about all the details, just a short cliff notes version to be polite.

r2473
10-19-2011, 07:36 PM
^^ Sorry, were you saying something? I wasn't really listening.

autumn_leaf
10-19-2011, 08:30 PM
I'll share one thing with you though. Once you do all that, come back, and want to talk about your experience with your friends, they'll listen to you for 5 mins and never ask you about it again.

I took a year to backpack around the world to travel to 40+ countries and when I got back, all I got from people (outside of close friends) were "How was it?" "What was your favorite?" and that's it. They care to hear about all the details, just a short cliff notes version to be polite.

I know. It's like boring them with vacation photos. Thankfully I have a blog and facebook, so I'll they'll get short doses of it. Assuming they have internet where I'm going...doubtful..

On the other hand, it would be a good date conversation :wink:

autumn_leaf
10-19-2011, 11:44 PM
It's been a late night. Finished the two essays the PC wanted. Click submit... Apparently they want 3 letters of recommendation x_X

Why are they so demanding?!?! Master programs want 2-3 letters, a statement of purpose and maybe another field specific essay, most jobs want 2-3 recs.

I know it's important to make sure you have a good person, but I am trying to volunteer my services for 2 year... I'm surprised they don't request a college transcript as well at this point.

I just wanted to rant.

Agent Orynge
10-20-2011, 08:01 AM
For fun. This is one of my sis' favorite cadence in the army lol.

"There are no Airborne Rangers in the Peace Corps.
Because they travel to foreign lands; Smoking dope and holding hands;
Oh, there are no Airborne Rangers in the Peace Corps."

"They say that in the army the women are mighty fine / They look like Phyllis Diller and march like Frankenstein"