PDA

View Full Version : Mixed dubs with your wife/husband

thug the bunny
10-19-2011, 11:14 AM
vcat and McLovin posted on another thread about playing mixed dubs with their wives and keeping their marriages intact. Funny stuff.

First time I played mix dubs with my wife at one point I offered a brief tip and immediately got the laser shooting from the eyes look. We had a short exchange of words, and that was it for the match, not another word. But we played really well because we were mad. I don't think I have ever served as hard as during that match. So, we won, and afterwards everything was fine. Who says love means nothing in tennis? Needless to say, I don't offer any advice anymore..

Anyone else have tips/observations/stories about playin dubs with their SOs?

FloridaAG
10-19-2011, 11:24 AM
My wife can see my eyes rolling even when I am at the net and my back is to her.

vcat
10-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Ok, my wife and I didn't have this spat, but we were playing another husband/wife team who out did anything we ever did to each other.

We were in a very tough tournament match against this couple, played them a couple weeks before and won in two tiebreak sets. In this match we had already won the 1st set in another tiebreak and were on-serve with the opposing guy serving 4-5. A couple loose shots from them and we get the break and win the match. I can tell the guy is pretty ****ed about it, and as the ball bounces toward him (last shot was netted) he slams the ball out of frustration. And where does it go but right into his wife's thigh...uh oh. The guy was a pretty hard hitter and this thing was smoking. The wife goes down and he, realizing the trouble he's in, walks over to apologize/help but get's elbowed in the nuts on the approach and now both are down. My wife and I were both horrified and amused at the same time.

That had to be one of the most awkward post-match hand shakes we've ever had.

CDestroyer
10-19-2011, 12:01 PM
My wife can see my eyes rolling even when I am at the net and my back is to her.

Ha a bit paranoid is she.

vcat
10-19-2011, 12:03 PM
vcat and McLovin posted on another thread about playing mixed dubs with their wives and keeping their marriages intact. Funny stuff.

First time I played mix dubs with my wife at one point I offered a brief tip and immediately got the laser shooting from the eyes look. We had a short exchange of words, and that was it for the match, not another word. But we played really well because we were mad. I don't think I have ever served as hard as during that match. So, we won, and afterwards everything was fine. Who says love means nothing in tennis? Needless to say, I don't offer any advice anymore..

Anyone else have tips/observations/stories about playin dubs with their SOs?

Occasionally I've offered the tip thing and it's never worked out well for us...wife always gets annoyed and unfortunately when we're mad at each other we both play terrible. Conversely she is allowed to give as many tips to me as she wants....hmm

r2473
10-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Try singing this song together as you play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zBoD_ojxFA

thug the bunny
10-19-2011, 12:35 PM
Ok, my wife and I didn't have this spat, but we were playing another husband/wife team who out did anything we ever did to each other.

We were in a very tough tournament match against this couple, played them a couple weeks before and won in two tiebreak sets. In this match we had already won the 1st set in another tiebreak and were on-serve with the opposing guy serving 4-5. A couple loose shots from them and we get the break and win the match. I can tell the guy is pretty ****ed about it, and as the ball bounces toward him (last shot was netted) he slams the ball out of frustration. And where does it go but right into his wife's thigh...uh oh. The guy was a pretty hard hitter and this thing was smoking. The wife goes down and he, realizing the trouble he's in, walks over to apologize/help but get's elbowed in the nuts on the approach and now both are down. My wife and I were both horrified and amused at the same time.

That had to be one of the most awkward post-match hand shakes we've ever had.

Great story, lmao. Wish I could have been there!

AtomicForehand
10-19-2011, 01:15 PM
And where does it go but right into his wife's thigh...uh oh. The guy was a pretty hard hitter and this thing was smoking. The wife goes down and he, realizing the trouble he's in, walks over to apologize/help but get's elbowed in the nuts on the approach and now both are down.

LOL So much win.

goober
10-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Worst fight I ever witnessed was in mixed dubs match. The whole match they were muttering, shaking their heads at each others mistakes. Then the man overruled the woman on an out call. The woman just went off and they were literally up in each others face yelling at the top of their lungs, dropping f-bombs and my partner and I were standing in shock on the other side. Well they finally calmed down and finished the match. After the match is over the woman shakes my hand, smiles and just says calmly, " About that little incident earlier- it's ok. We are husband and wife."

autumn_leaf
10-19-2011, 02:27 PM
So, we won, and afterwards everything was fine.

I wonder if it would have been the same if you ended up losing.

autumn_leaf
10-19-2011, 02:31 PM
elbow to the nuts story was win.

" About that little incident earlier- it's ok. We are husband and wife."

quoting Crazy Stupid Love: "I love my wife more than I hate her, only married people are gonna understand that one."

jswinf
10-19-2011, 09:13 PM
Worst fight I ever witnessed was in mixed dubs match. The whole match they were muttering, shaking their heads at each others mistakes. Then the man overruled the woman on an out call. The woman just went off and they were literally up in each others face yelling at the top of their lungs, dropping f-bombs and my partner and I were standing in shock on the other side. Well they finally calmed down and finished the match. After the match is over the woman shakes my hand, smiles and just says calmly, " About that little incident earlier- it's ok. We are husband and wife."

Some couples do that all the time, it's how they roll. You're lucky they didn't indulge in steamy "make-up" physical activities right on the court. (Would that be a justifiable 'let' call?) :oops:

McLovin
10-20-2011, 04:04 AM
I think for me, my rule of "Say Absolutely Nothing" goes beyond the actual mixed doubles match. If I go out & hit with her, I am effectively a backboard. No advice, no compliments. Nothing.

Even if she asks a question, I respond by asking "well, what did [the teaching pro] tell you to do?".

Regardless of whether I am correct or not in my advice is not the issue. It's that it would be coming from me, and that is just not acceptable...

thug the bunny
10-20-2011, 08:04 AM
I wonder if it would have been the same if you ended up losing.

I'm sure it would not. It would have been one of those silent car rides home. Winning is a drug that cures many ills.

Federerx16
11-24-2011, 05:11 AM
This thread is hilarious!

Fuji
11-24-2011, 04:33 PM
I've played mixed doubles with my lady for 3-ish years now. I've always been about .5-1 level higher so it's mostly been social. I learned early not to give advice. She would just get frustrated more if I did! She's much more competitive then I am, so it's kind of entertaining!

Although, We did call it even when she almost broke my face when I went to poach. :oops: After that we take doubles less seriously! Now we kick butt at 9.0 and just have fun! This year we went 8-1! Lots of good times!

I for sure recommend it if you want to experience a side of your partner that you've never seen before! :D

-Fuji

Magic of tennis
11-24-2011, 05:21 PM

lol that is understandable

Tammo
11-24-2011, 08:31 PM
I knew a couple who played together one night, then about 2 months later they got a divorce, and he is in jail for 2 years.

jswinf
11-24-2011, 08:46 PM
^^^That's harsh. He must have played really bad that night.

dlk
11-25-2011, 06:15 AM
My wife does not play tennis, but I see a lot of mixed dubs couples.

thug the bunny
11-25-2011, 06:55 AM
Me and my babe played dubs against two of my buddies recently and won. One guy is a pusher/counter puncher, and the other is a slicer junk baller with a blistering 1st serve. She returned a bunch of his 1st serves and you could see the ??? in his eyes.

The other day she picked up my gargantuan Speed Pro and did some shadow swings and I said 'that's pretty heavy huh?' and she said 'not really, I want one'. This spring we have to find a mixed dubs league and kick some butt...

stapletonj
11-25-2011, 07:45 AM
couple of simple rules.

1. never never never coach or offer a "tip"
2. when the spouse or g/f is messing up and muttering to themselves about a specific shot, the ONLY thing to say is
"Don't worry about it, that is a good tactic and a good miss, you keep hitting for that shot and we will win for sure" Nothing more
3. never try to take over the match to win one for your partner.
4. The more competitive you make it, the less fun she has, do the math......

sphinx780
11-25-2011, 08:09 AM
Over the years of playing together, here's the quote that still sticks with me (she is much more competitive than I).

I was having an off night and not returning well, I miss another one and she looks over to me and says:

"how about you just go sit on the bench and I return for you so we will actually have a shot at winning this match"

thug the bunny
11-25-2011, 08:25 AM
Awesome. You got jacked up!

Actually my girl is also more competitive than me. She just doesn't have all the tools to carry out her mission yet, but when she does, she will be fearsome.

sphinx780
11-25-2011, 08:33 AM
It's the risk you run when you have two former college players on the court together as husband and wife.

Now that we only have time for singles leagues with the little one getting into everything, I tell her the one thing that I never could as a couples doubles team: relax and have fun, this is just a graduated beer league :-)

TCTEN
11-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Playing mixed dubs with the wife can be enjoyable but it is fraught with peril. All it takes is one barely visible eye roll :roll: or nearly inaudible moan from me and it all turns sour. Unfortunately it is all to easy to drop ones guard and allow these little indiscretions to occur :oops:, therefore I feel the risk of having to endure the cold shoulder for a day :evil: outweighs the potential enjoyment.

PS: Playing mixed dubs against your spouse can be just as hazardous.

gavna
11-25-2011, 09:50 AM

I believe EVERY wife has that innate ability:???: my wife of 26 yrs is ex college basketball and tennis player and a strong 5.0. And if anything hates to lose more than I do, so usually I'm the screwup. Hahaha