PDA

View Full Version : does sampras or fed use more "arm" on groundstrokes or hip twist for power???

Young Pete
07-11-2005, 11:40 PM
please let me know......

or is it true that in todays game its more of utilizing of hips to generate power?

i believe sampras was mostly arm? Is this classic textbook technique?

Exile
07-11-2005, 11:47 PM
actually, on closer look, when he goes all out, its more of a federeresque FH except for the finish, its over the shoulder, instead of accross the body.

jings
07-11-2005, 11:56 PM
I think they're quite different forehands - Fed hits with more top spin than Pete did, and the different grips dictate a different mechanic. I don't think Pete ever really got as square on to the court as Fed does, so Pete generated more pace through shoulder and arm rather than Fed with his modern hip turn. Shot mechnaics is not my strong point but that's what I see. Sampras only really went with the high finish when he was really looking for some heavy top spin from memory.

finchy
07-12-2005, 10:24 AM
I think Pete his with more topspin than Federer. I heard he hits 3500 rpm's on his forehand or something like that. a ton more than Agassi who even uses a more western grip than Pete did.

POGO
07-12-2005, 10:33 AM
I think Pete his with more topspin than Federer. I heard he hits 3500 rpm's on his forehand or something like that. a ton more than Agassi who even uses a more western grip than Pete did.
I read that also, in some website. Pete was known to hit with very heavy ball(heavy topspin with much pace) on his forehand from what I read.

araghava
07-12-2005, 11:12 AM
I think Pete's FH is more old school when players were to hit thru the ball. Fed's is more modern where the pace is generated because of the angular momentum from turning the whole body starting with the hips.

FedererUberAlles
07-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Similar grips though, which shows how much variation you can have with Easter(esque) grips.

Babblelot
07-12-2005, 04:38 PM
Your question was about "groundstrokes;" thus far the focus has been on the FH.

Whatever you do, do not model your BH after Sampras. Definitely the weakest part of his game, and it looked weak, although, I'm sure that when he got in a BH rally he was content merely rolling over the ball and playing a high % shot more for purpose than for style or going for hitting winners.

Often I got the feeling that anyone could pick him apart if they attacked his BH, and often they did. But that never bothered Pete much, because all he needed to do was break his opponents' serve once a set and it was...Game, Set, Match--Mr. Sampras.

Dedans Penthouse
07-13-2005, 06:36 AM
I think if you looked at Federer's and Sampras' forehand, what first stands out is that their takebacks are different. Sampras' slightly raised elbow led the way when Sampras began his preparation to hit a forehand, while Federer has a lower elbow and his racquet head is higher, i.e. Fed's stringbed faces towards the back fence at the completion of his backswing much in the more "modern" manner. Not that the following forehands are like Federer, but that "facing the back fence" position of the racquet face is employed by Moya, Capriati, et al. Not that Yvgevny Kafelnikov's forehand looks like Sampras (Kefelnikov's is more rigid-looking what with his very cocked/locked wrist), but his "raised elbow" on the takeback is more in the Sampras mold.

fantom
07-13-2005, 07:13 AM
Your question was about "groundstrokes;" thus far the focus has been on the FH.

Whatever you do, do not model your BH after Sampras. Definitely the weakest part of his game, and it looked weak, although, I'm sure that when he got in a BH rally he was content merely rolling over the ball and playing a high % shot more for purpose than for style or going for hitting winners.

Often I got the feeling that anyone could pick him apart if they attacked his BH, and often they did. But that never bothered Pete much, because all he needed to do was break his opponents' serve once a set and it was...Game, Set, Match--Mr. Sampras.

When you are talking about Pete's backhand, I agree that it was his weaker stroke. However, in his prime his backhand was LETHAL for two reasons.

1. If a player was content to trade BH groundstrokes with him, he was EXTREMELY consistent at providing a varying dose of topspin and slice. If he was given an opening, he could rip it for a winner.

2. He knew his running forehand was the best in the game. He would cover the backhand side of the court just daring his opponent to go for a forehand winner. His backhand was the perfect shot to set up that killer running forehand.

Babblelot
07-13-2005, 07:17 AM
When you are talking about Pete's backhand, I agree that it was his weaker stroke. However, in his prime his backhand was LETHAL for two reasons.

1. If a player was content to trade BH groundstrokes with him, he was EXTREMELY consistent at providing a varying dose of topspin and slice. If he was given an opening, he could rip it for a winner.

2. He knew his running forehand was the best in the game. He would cover the backhand side of the court just daring his opponent to go for a forehand winner. His backhand was the perfect shot to set up that killer running forehand.
Agreed. Excellent post!

(I was, indeed, thinking of an aging Pete. You got me.) ;)

araghava
07-13-2005, 04:59 PM

This was true of the younger Pete. However for the last 4~5 years of his career i can't remember Pete sprinting across the baseline to hit a running forehand winner. By then i don't think he was quick enough to be able to camp in the backhand corner.

Also Pete originally had a DBH which he converted to SH. His BH was never as natural looking as his FH because of this. (interestingly Edberg also converted from DBH -> SH but his BH was one of the sweetest strokes in the game).

fantom
07-13-2005, 05:33 PM
This was true of the younger Pete. However for the last 4~5 years of his career i can't remember Pete sprinting across the baseline to hit a running forehand winner.

He may have lost a step or two as he got older, but I'm pretty sure if you watch any of his matches up 'til the end of his career you would find at least one running FH winner.

Dr.Lobster
07-13-2005, 05:40 PM
does anyone have a good gif/mov of a sampras forehand?

ragnaROK
07-14-2005, 08:38 AM
Yeah I agree with fantom, I remember he would always hit a least one good running forehand in every match. He didnt do his "Air Sampras" much once he got older, but his running forehand was still there (even if it was more like a hobbling forehand hehehe).