PDA

View Full Version : After working out how long should I wait?

SeekHeart
10-20-2011, 07:57 AM
After working out at the gym, should I wait a few days or so for my body to return to normal to play tennis or are there things I can do on the court solo/co-op the next day?

Osteo UK
10-20-2011, 08:59 AM
As always, it depends!

The pros will do a periodisation over the year for weight and fitness training and they won't be lifting anything of significance that will compromise their competition phases.

For the rest of us, again it depends on way too many factors, but I tend to play quite happily the day after (I'm 45yo, about a 4.0 I guess) and on some occasions I'll even have a light hit on the same day. If I'm playing a match I'll likely not use weights the day before. I tend to recommend 2 sets of 10 (maybe 12) reps) is enough to keep things ticking over, but some will just do circuit/body weight exercises. Ultimately, you'll know by experience, so just go steady and try things out.

Devilito
10-20-2011, 07:44 PM
After working out at the gym, should I wait a few days or so for my body to return to normal to play tennis or are there things I can do on the court solo/co-op the next day?

you should be fine the following day after a workout but you won't be %100 obviously. The key is to keep up a good diet conducive to muscle recovery and to make sure you stop working out with weights close to tournaments. Just be aware that you are a tennis player and donít overdo it with a bodybuilding style workout that can take many days to recover from.

Maui19
10-21-2011, 02:39 PM
I find that if I don't mix training and playing, then I don't get enough of either. As Devilito said, there are days where you may not be 100%, but you will grow accustom to it eventually so that the negative impact on your game will be minor.

HunterST
10-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Honestly, does it matter? None of us are pro tennis player or elite lifters. I highly doubt you'll be weakened from working out to the extent that you risk injury, so there's really not much of a concern. As long as you feel fine playing, I say go for it.

dozu
10-22-2011, 08:52 AM
not a concern for a 3.0 like you hunter.... but for the king, it matters.

Xizel
10-22-2011, 09:20 AM
Honestly, does it matter? None of us are pro tennis player or elite lifters. I highly doubt you'll be weakened from working out to the extent that you risk injury, so there's really not much of a concern. As long as you feel fine playing, I say go for it.

You crack me up. I'll agree with dozu for once. You assume that none of us tennis players are serious lifters outside the pros? We're living the modern world where "working out" is preached everywhere, and gyms are spawning like fish. Then there's the situation of most players only having access to hard courts, and that's self-explanatory in itself.

I don't expect the typical tennis player to do 1RM deadlifts, but take a day of rest if you want to play a match, otherwise stick to light rallies where you have lazy feet.

HunterST
10-22-2011, 09:46 AM
not a concern for a 3.0 like you hunter.... but for the king, it matters.

I've seen your video and you've never lifted a weight in your life. You can barely carry your human racquet around.

You crack me up. I'll agree with dozu for once. You assume that none of us tennis players are serious lifters outside the pros? We're living the modern world where "working out" is preached everywhere, and gyms are spawning like fish. Then there's the situation of most players only having access to hard courts, and that's self-explanatory in itself.

I don't expect the typical tennis player to do 1RM deadlifts, but take a day of rest if you want to play a match, otherwise stick to light rallies where you have lazy feet.

You misunderstand.

First of all, from the weightlifting point of view, people are getting carried away with the rest thing. Yes, your muscles need to recover if you want them to grow. However, that doesn't mean that you need lay around like a sloth after a day of lifting and you don't have to have "lazy feet."

When I was playing sports in high school, I, along with everyone else, was on a 4 day split. Should we have taken a day off after every lifting session? That would have only left a few practices per month. During wrestling we had pretty brutal workouts after practice. If you went up to the coach and said, "ya know, I think I'll skip tomorrow's practice. I need a break" you would have been laughed out of the room.

As for the tennis, no, you're not going to play your best. However, if it's just causal play, it doesn't really matter. It's silly for a guy to not play tennis when he would like to just because he's afraid he might lose a meaningless match. If we're talking about a tournament or competitive match, then I agree you should taper off your training prior to playing, but I didn't get that feeling.

NLBwell
10-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Unless you are playing for money don't worry about it. Only thing to worry about would be overdoing so much you get sick or injured. Just listen to your body if something hurts. You won't play your best right after a workout at the gym, but better to play than not, generally.

Maui19
10-22-2011, 12:14 PM
I've seen your video and you've never lifted a weight in your life. You can barely carry your human racquet around.

Dang that is funny! :razz:

Magic of tennis
10-22-2011, 12:25 PM

lol that was funny

Anyway I play tennis in the morning and weight lifting in the afternoon when I have day off. As someone said before it doesn't matter how often or what order we do gym workout and playing tennis since most of us are amateur anyway.

Magic of tennis
10-22-2011, 12:31 PM
I'd like to add one more thing. I heard that Pro's don't have sex or ********** the night before match. I wonder if that is true.

arche3
10-22-2011, 12:32 PM
Age matters. In my youth no worries. Now at 45 I worry. Because I can't play day after lifting or interval training. I would wreck something.

T1000
10-22-2011, 01:07 PM
I lift before tennis and play right after, then lift 2-3 hours later. You're not risking injury at all, probably not even playing a high enough level nor lifting intensely enough to worry about it.

USERNAME
10-22-2011, 01:17 PM
1 day on 1 day off with lifting and play tennis every day, the point behind the 1 off day is to repair the micro tears in the muscle from the lift. On the off days I focus heavily on core/stability and endurance (cardio, BLEHH). So basically you can hit the gym every day you just should not lift every day. Also be sure to always take in protein after lifts to speed up recovery and help build you up.

Magic of tennis
10-22-2011, 03:09 PM
1 day on 1 day off with lifting and play tennis every day, the point behind the 1 off day is to repair the micro tears in the muscle from the lift. On the off days I focus heavily on core/stability and endurance (cardio, BLEHH). So basically you can hit the gym every day you just should not lift every day. Also be sure to always take in protein after lifts to speed up recovery and help build you up.

Agree. After lifting, body needs repair time so it would be better not to lift every day. I read one of body building books and it recommends to have weight lift 3x per week so body can fully recover.

USERNAME
10-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Agree. After lifting, body needs repair time so it would be better not to lift every day. I read one of body building books and it recommends to have weight lift 3x per week so body can fully recover.

Yeah! 3 a week is what I did for football, the linemen and LBs did more I think. The TEs and powerbacks did 3 one week and 4 the next, I played TE so that's what I did and never had any problems with injury (due to lifting).

Limpinhitter
10-22-2011, 06:51 PM

I'm not sure if that's an insult or a compliment.

Limpinhitter
10-22-2011, 06:55 PM

My advice is that if you are just a little bit sore, you can play the next day. If you're very sore, give it a break until you're only a little sore.

Something you can do to hasten your recovery from hard workouts that a local coach turned me on to is to take L glutamine (an amino acid) along with a whey protein isolate/concentrate product after workouts. Whey contains all of the amino acids, but, extra L glutamine helps to promote absorbtion of protein in to muscle cells for faster recovery.