PDA

View Full Version : How do you time going to the gym and court time?

NMTennis
04-28-2004, 12:40 PM
If I go to the gym and lift a couple of times a week...I still feel some residual soreness for the couple of times I play tennis that week (generally ok if there is a day of rest inbetween). Not bad soreness like I overdid it, but the good type that tells you that you're getting stronger

Whatever gains in strength I notice from lifting that would be helfpul for my game may be mitigated by my soreness. I don't think it hurts my game initially, but by the end of second (or hell - I'd be in trouble in a third) set, my arm feels pretty weak.

I know I'm not doing heavy weight/low reps - but trying to keep it pretty light and doing 15 or so reps.

Any successful strategies out there :?:

topspin
04-29-2004, 10:07 AM
I try to workout just before going and play. I do a light workout and use it mostly as a really good warmup, usually working out every muscle group. If I'm not playing tennis that night, I'll do a full workout and do it more intense. I have no problems with soreness since I don't strain. The soreness is normal if you're not working out regularly.

Keep at it, it really does help your tennis. If I'm not working out, my tennis goes down right away.

waterpro
05-07-2004, 09:46 AM
I used to lift 4 times a week and played tennis about 4 times a week as well. When I lift, I feel taxed for a few hours after the workout but after that I am fine. And when I say lift, I go all out! Did you just start lifting? How many times a week do you go? It might be that if you are just starting out and only going 1 time a week you are basically shocking your system each time. Try going 2-3 times a week instead. Also if you are really sore, try taking some Glutamine. I am an avid user of this stuff. Glutamine helps your muscles recover faster and shortens the soreness period. I had a 4 days split

Monday - chest, tris, abs
Tuesday - back
thursday - shoulders and bi's
friday - legs, abs

I always did my lifting in the mornings and played tennis tue and wed evenings, sat and sun mornings. When I lift I am usally in there for about about 1-1.5 hours so I am going strong! So you would think that I would always be sore, but nope. The more you go the faster you will recover. And like I said add some glutamin to your portfolio and that should help even more....

vin
05-08-2004, 07:37 PM
After you've been lifting for a while, you won't get nearly as sore providing you are consistent. A typical person can only recover from lifting intensely 2-3 x per week. A beginner can get away with more since the weights are lighter. I lift only 2x per week, and now that I'm playing tennis 4-5 x per week, I wouldn't even think of adding another day of weights.

A lot of stretching, which you should be doing anyway for both activities, will also help reduce soreness.

I can usually practice after lifting, but I wouldn't try playing a match. However, most coaches would probably recommend working out after tennis so that the workout doesn't introduce bad habbits or injuries into your tennis from being tired.

Vin