PDA

View Full Version : pro tennis realistic goal? please set me straight

tennishotdog
10-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Im in my mid-twenties. Played tennis for roughly 5 years now, on and off(mostly because of school). I've never taken paid lessons; taught myself and learned the game and techniques mostly with tips, wisdom and knowledge from the always helpful and insightful TT forum members, the good old WWW and Youtube.

Im not tall, big or strong but I used to play basketball, soccer and hockey in my teens so I think Im pretty athletic and have good hand-eye coordination. My playing level is probably around the 3.5 to 4.0 mark as I've been told but have never played in any tournaments before so I've no idea how I'd measure up.

I have seen some 4.0 and 5.0 tournament matches and I like to think I could hang with them, just on stroke production and technique though. I haven't had many match experiences either since I only just hit the wall or rally to hone the proper technique and form and get the fundamentals down first.

Anyhoo, my ultimate goal in tennis is to compete at the Open level(5.5+) and maybe one day become a professional tennis player. Is this a realistic goal or just a pipe dream? Is it even a possibility to get to that level for someone like me?

dozu
10-20-2011, 12:46 PM
finish school, get a job, and enjoy tennis as a hobby.

tennishotdog
10-20-2011, 12:46 PM
oops I forgot to put up a video but i will post it later after my class

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Im not trying to spread my videos or anything, im trying to help you.
I used to play on the Future circuit and played some Satellites back in the days, i never got a world singles ranking but i beat a guy ranked 950 in the world and i was ranked 1100 in doubles.

This was 8-10 years ago.

TODAY i would probably lose 3-6,2-6 against myself back in 2000-2003.

This is how i play now, so judge for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mieY_6jBWf8&feature=player_detailpage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfEpkWm5az0&feature=player_detailpage

TheIrrefutableOne
10-20-2011, 12:54 PM
sure you can go pro.....:roll:

Giannis
10-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Not realistic, especially since it took you 5 years to get to 3.5-4.0. With TONS of practice and especially match experience, you could probably reach 5.0 level in a few years.

arche3
10-20-2011, 12:55 PM
5.0 plus possible. Definitely.

Pro? Not happening. Nada. Zilch.

TheIrrefutableOne
10-20-2011, 12:58 PM
I cannot believe anyone thinks he is serious. LOL

JRstriker12
10-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Im in my mid-twenties. Played tennis for roughly 5 years now, on and off(mostly because of school). I've never taken paid lessons; taught myself and learned the game and techniques mostly with tips, wisdom and knowledge from the always helpful and insightful TT forum members, the good old WWW and Youtube.

Im not tall, big or strong but I used to play basketball, soccer and hockey in my teens so I think Im pretty athletic and have good hand-eye coordination. My playing level is probably around the 3.5 to 4.0 mark as I've been told but have never played in any tournaments before so I've no idea how I'd measure up.

I have seen some 4.0 and 5.0 tournament matches and I like to think I could hang with them, just on stroke production and technique though. I haven't had many match experiences either since I only just hit the wall or rally to hone the proper technique and form and get the fundamentals down first.

Anyhoo, my ultimate goal in tennis is to compete at the Open level(5.5+) and maybe one day become a professional tennis player. Is this a realistic goal or just a pipe dream? Is it even a possibility to get to that level for someone like me?

If you look at a 5.0 tournament and think you could hang in with those guys on stroke production alone you are delusional.

Most 3.5s think they can hit the ball hard, and maybe they can, but no 3.5 or 4.0 can hit the ball as hard, deep, and with the amount of spin, directional control, and consistency as a 5.0 player.

You may have seen the 4.0 slice and dice master and think "look at those strokes, I can beat that guy!" but you haven't played that guy and don't realize how he can take your game apart.

Now, could you truly compete at a 5.0+ level? Assuming you were exceptionally athletic, spent a ton of money on a coach, and trained several hours every day, you have a slim chance of becoming a 5.0 - prob about a 5-10% chance.

Before you decide to pursue this pipe dream, do yourself a favor (assuming you are in the USA) join USTA and play a 3.5 tournament, a 4.0 tournament, and then play an open tournament where you may run into 5.0+ players. I think it will be eye opening.

dozu
10-20-2011, 01:02 PM
i am not trying to spread my video...

check my signature... if you are 3.5-4.0, it will take you another 5 years just to beat me, the king of the community court.

atac
10-20-2011, 01:21 PM
I'll give you my honest evaluation, even a 5.0 or above seems a bit unlikely being that you're already in your mid-twenties and usually you have other obligations at that point that'll probably get in the way of putting in all that much needed hard work to get to just that level, especially if you are a 3.5 to 4.0 right now. Theres a lot of D1 college level players out there who are 5.0 - 5.5 that have been playing non stop since like age 4, and being a successful pro (on the challenger tour) is highly unlikely for most of them. My advice would be to just improve as much as you can if thats what you want and shoot for maybe a 4.5 rating. Thats probably the highest level were you can actually get the most enjoyment out of the game before it feels like a career.

jdubbs
10-20-2011, 01:29 PM
I'll give you my honest evaluation, even a 5.0 or above seems a bit unlikely being that you're already in your mid-twenties and usually you have other obligations at that point that'll probably get in the way of putting in all that much needed hard work to get to just that level, especially if you are a 3.5 to 4.0 right now. Theres a lot of D1 college level players out there who are 5.0 - 5.5 that have been playing non stop since like age 4, and being a successful pro (on the challenger tour) is highly unlikely for most of them. My advice would be to just improve as much as you can if thats what you want and shoot for maybe a 4.5 rating. Thats probably the highest level were you can actually get the most enjoyment out of the game before it feels like a career.

I agree with this. I came back to the game recently, and was ranked 4.0. I finally feel comfortable enough to compete at 4.5, but realistically, I don't see winning any tournaments at this level, just enjoy the competition.
And to get to this level takes a ton of commitment, a lot of training, coaching, playing etc. It almost feels like a job sometimes, as even a few days off sets me back.

So I would just enjoy trying to progress, set a goal to get to 4.5 or 5.0. But a pro career is out of the question in tennis at this point.

pushing_wins
10-20-2011, 01:32 PM

MarinaHighTennis
10-20-2011, 01:42 PM
i am not trying to spread my video...

check my signature... if you are 3.5-4.0, it will take you another 5 years just to beat me, the king of the community court.

4.5 at least?

LeeD
10-20-2011, 01:48 PM
Lots of naysayers here....
And I"m one of them.
I was a pretty good athlete, LEFT handed, quicker than anyone on the varsity football or basketball teams, played littleleaque and juniorhigh baseball, surfed 4A level, and took up tennis at 24. At 5'11", I had a great serve, in anyone's league (but that was 38 years ago!), practiced with local (SanFrancisco) B's, A/Open's, the two local colleges top 3's, and took 3 full years to win a big draw C tourney.
That led me to the bottom of the pile A/Open tourneys and 2 Q's. Once the guys took my game seriously, I was destroyed.
However, you CAN become a borderline 5.0 and become a TEACHING PRO!

sureshs
10-20-2011, 01:50 PM

That is exactly what dozu said

10-20-2011, 02:20 PM

Open level is very realistic at your age if you train well.

Pro is a pipe dream if you start at 8yr old with a major academy. Most of them never make top 500, but a pipe dream is what it starts with for all that make it.

joe sch
10-20-2011, 02:25 PM
Your goal should be to get some tournament experience and try to win tournaments at the 3.5 then 4.0 level. Achieving this at the 4.5 level and above is not likely based on your history and understanding of levels in tennis.

rkelley
10-20-2011, 02:40 PM
I'll be a bit more optimistic . . .

If you're willing to spend the time and learn proper technique, and this means focused practice several times a week (year round), not hacking around with some buddies on the weekend, and assuming you have an average level of athletism and you're in decent shape, you ought to be able to get up to 5.0 to 5.5 level eventually. Dave Smith preaches this and it makes sense to me. The folks I see who haven't achieved that level, and that is most folks admittedly (including me), usually have flaws in various aspects of their strokes and/or don't have the time to spend to get them grooved to the point where they're consistent enough in match situations. If you're willing to work and spend the time to get those strokes really solid, then 5.0 to 5.5 should be doable.

A coach would be really, really helpful in making this happen.

Now when you say "pro" do you mean playing at the US Open? Then I'd say no unless you're some freak of nature. The number of hours required to train your body, and mind, to hit as hard and consistently, with all of the variety that pros hit with is crazy. If you haven't achieved this by your mid-twenties, there isn't enough time left even if you have the talent. A young, teenaged body can go out and hit 4-6 hours a day, 5-6 days a week. That's pretty hard on a 30 year old even if you had the time.

dennis10is
10-20-2011, 03:26 PM

Read the posts here and you'll find out that middle aged men with little training in tennis, largely self-taught, are confident that they know what is wrong with the top pros. So, as you can deduce, tennis is a simple sport to master. I would say, two years of reading the tips here would be sufficient for you to be a 5.5+

Do not be deceived by the false modesty by the members here. Read some more posts and you will find little modesty actually exist.

Limpinhitter
10-20-2011, 04:00 PM

Assuming you have the natural talent to be a world class player, the years it would take for you to develop the skill needed to be a world class player (complete devotion to tennis with world class coaching and training and the sacrifice of all other aspects of your life), would put you way past the age of your athletic prime.

gmatheis
10-20-2011, 05:06 PM
go pro? not a chance

Pros start as small children and could probably beat you by the time they are 12 yrs old (perhaps sooner)

get to open level tennis - it COULD be in the realm of possiblity, but why don't you post a video and lets go from there.

tennishotdog
10-20-2011, 05:48 PM
whoa I left for a few hours and this thread is already two pages. thank you all for the dose of reality. I guess I didnt know what I was smoking when these thoughts went through my head.

I think my goal now is to just get to the highest level I possibly can and go from there. Of course I never dreamt of becoming a real pro playing on the ATP tour, that is just next to impossible.

I just thought that maybe if I worked really hard on the proper techniques and fundamentals then maybe I could have a chance to compete at the Open level and maybe get into some pro tourney and get an ATP point. Once my body is no longer able or if I get bored then I can become a teaching pro and say that I was a former pro hehe.

My plan now is to just practice whenever I can and take some lessons to improve my footwork. Next year i'll definitely play some tourneys to get match experience.

As promised here are some videos of me hitting. Unfortunately I could only hit with the wall which doesnt show much. Criticisms and suggestions from everyone are highly appreciated as always.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZfelNbIsbc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WYpPXpYgz8

some serves
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhXpx4JLdW0&feature=related

dozu
10-20-2011, 06:00 PM
you know as hackish as your game is, I actually see some Fed like moves there.

tennishotdog
10-20-2011, 06:18 PM
thanks dozu I do try to model my forehand strokes after federer. its so effortless with power when Im in position and could time it right, but most of the time I cant, the stroke is just very hard to pull off consistently for some reason which I think the proper footwork will help with.

TennisCoachFLA
10-20-2011, 06:27 PM

You said you played hockey, basketball, and soccer as a teen.

How come you think you could go pro in tennis yet would not even dream that you could go pro in any of those other sports?

Devilito
10-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Sell all your stuff, take out bank loans, max out your credit cards and borrow money from friends and family. Spend it all on lessons and save enough so you can travel on tour until you get a high enough ranking to get major sponsorships and to bring in the cash flow from your tournament winnings. You’re going all the way champ!

LeeD
10-20-2011, 06:34 PM
Methinks post 26 hit the nail on the head exactly.

Tennis_Monk
10-20-2011, 06:55 PM
Sure you can make it as a pro. One thing that pro's dont have
and you have is the wealth of tips in this forum. If you can read them all you will know how to play, what strategy to adopt to beat the likes of Nadal/Djoker/Federer.
I can hook you up with a low level tennis tournament director and we will get a you a wild card. Your name is on the draw and no matter who you play your first match, you are a Pro.
If you can execute on tips and cause an upset, we at TW will be talking about you and before you know we will have a GOAT thead for you.

LeeD
10-20-2011, 07:15 PM
Just got on a computer that does Utube.
Wow, lots more work than I thought, imagined, or even could possibly be aware of.

tennishotdog
10-20-2011, 07:24 PM
You said you played hockey, basketball, and soccer as a teen.

How come you think you could go pro in tennis yet would not even dream that you could go pro in any of those other sports?

as you can see from the video of my physique, I was always the shortest and smallest guy on any team. I did dream that I could play professional basketball but I was way too short so I got cut by the highschool team. Hockey, same thing, all the bigger kids would easily knock me over, hit harder, shoot harder, skate faster, stronger on the puck. I was pretty crafty with the ball in soccer but I just couldn't kick as hard, run as fast and have the endurance as the bigger and more fitter kids. But I did play all those sports which helped with the athleticism.

But tennis is different, of course it's nice to be big tall and strong, but its not like those other sports where those physical attributes are absolutely necessary for success at high levels. Tennis I think is more about technique, speed and quickness, tactics and anticipation and of course the mental aspect. You dont need to be big and strong to hit the ball hard, thats why I think proper technique and fundamentals are so important therefore spent most of my time and energy on.

Timbo's hopeless slice
10-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Lad, I am a coach, I've been a coach a long time, and I still play a reasonable 5.0+ game. I say this not to brag, but so you might listen to me when I tell you this.

Finish school, get a job and enjoy tennis as a hobby.

There is NO CHANCE of you playing on the pro tour starting this late. Your whole game needs to be rebuilt from the ground up to have any chance of reaching even 5.0 which is a long way from the pros.

Forget it, ok?

tennishotdog
10-20-2011, 08:05 PM
I'll be a bit more optimistic . . .

If you're willing to spend the time and learn proper technique, and this means focused practice several times a week (year round), not hacking around with some buddies on the weekend, and assuming you have an average level of athletism and you're in decent shape, you ought to be able to get up to 5.0 to 5.5 level eventually. Dave Smith preaches this and it makes sense to me. The folks I see who haven't achieved that level, and that is most folks admittedly (including me), usually have flaws in various aspects of their strokes and/or don't have the time to spend to get them grooved to the point where they're consistent enough in match situations. If you're willing to work and spend the time to get those strokes really solid, then 5.0 to 5.5 should be doable.

A coach would be really, really helpful in making this happen.

how did I miss such a good post. thank you
yes I totally agree with this approach. A coach would definitely help me out alot.

Timbo's hopeless slice
10-20-2011, 08:18 PM
but you seem to miss the point, 5.0 is just barely possible for you.

and planets away from the pro tour....

I would also point out that the always gracious rkelly posted that without the benefit of having seen you hit.

tennishotdog
10-20-2011, 08:41 PM
Lad, I am a coach, I've been a coach a long time, and I still play a reasonable 5.0+ game. I say this not to brag, but so you might listen to me when I tell you this.

Finish school, get a job and enjoy tennis as a hobby.

There is NO CHANCE of you playing on the pro tour starting this late. Your whole game needs to be rebuilt from the ground up to have any chance of reaching even 5.0 which is a long way from the pros.

Forget it, ok?

Well its not like im giving up school for this, I can do both but I know my priorities. If my game needs to be rebuilt then so be it, that's actually what Im in the process of doing right now, im fine tuning the stroke mechanics and getting down the fundamentals so that it doesnt break down in a match situation which I saw much of even from 5.0 players.

I dont think 5.0+ is that big of a leap from what I've seen at the local tourney. I was able to squeak by this older guy who plays 4.5 and 5.0, granted it was just a practice set but I could see that my groundstrokes gave him lots of trouble and he says I just needed more experience playing the right shot and points and not go for winners every chance I get.

HunterST
10-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Well its not like im giving up school for this, I can do both but I know my priorities. If my game needs to be rebuilt then so be it, that's actually what Im in the process of doing right now, im fine tuning the stroke mechanics and getting down the fundamentals so that it doesnt break down in a match situation which I saw much of even from 5.0 players.

I dont think 5.0+ is that big of a leap from what I've seen at the local tourney. I was able to squeak by this older guy who plays 4.5 and 5.0, granted it was just a practice set but I could see that my groundstrokes gave him lots of trouble and he says I just needed more experience playing the right shot and points and not go for winners every chance I get.

Not to be a jerk, but there's really no way you beat a 4.5 or 5.0 player right now. I'm not saying you're making it up, but maybe the guy you played with was inflating his level a bit. 4.5 and 5.0 are very high levels of tennis and you're not there yet. Only like 2 percent of tennis players are.

That's not to say you couldn't get there. You just need a good instructor and a ton of time playing and hitting.

P.S.

I just clicked on your video and the first thing I saw was that your forehand swing is way too flat. Sometimes you're hitting DOWN on the shot. Try to hit up on the ball.

FedExpress 333
10-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Absolutely not, there is nooooo way.

Power Player
10-20-2011, 08:51 PM
Read the posts here and you'll find out that middle aged men with little training in tennis, largely self-taught, are confident that they know what is wrong with the top pros. So, as you can deduce, tennis is a simple sport to master. I would say, two years of reading the tips here would be sufficient for you to be a 5.5+

Do not be deceived by the false modesty by the members here. Read some more posts and you will find little modesty actually exist.

****LOL****

Disgruntled Worker
10-20-2011, 09:08 PM
To the OP, the NTRP ranking is kind of ambiguous. Most of the naysayers on this forum really have NO IDEA what a "5.0 player" is because it's ALL subjective! If these people were really qualified to be giving you advice on becoming a pro, why aren't THEY playing on tour?

tennishotdog
10-20-2011, 09:09 PM
Not to be a jerk, but there's really no way you beat a 4.5 or 5.0 player right now. I'm not saying you're making it up, but maybe the guy you played with was inflating his level a bit. 4.5 and 5.0 are very high levels of tennis and you're not there yet. Only like 2 percent of tennis players are.

That's not to say you couldn't get there. You just need a good instructor and a ton of time playing and hitting.

P.S.

I just clicked on your video and the first thing I saw was that your forehand swing is way too flat. Sometimes you're hitting DOWN on the shot. Try to hit up on the ball.

Yeh maybe he just plays them but probably not get past the first round, so hes probably inflating his actual level.

I agree about my forehand swing it is very, very flat, most of the balls i hit barely clears the net by a few centimeters. im still experimenting with the proper grip, right now my grip is the classic eastern grip so the swing path is very horizonal, im experimenting with the modified eastern grip like federer has so that the racket swings more vertically ala windshield wiper but this change in grip caused a change in my swing path that is preventing me from executing the stroke smoothly, but im working on it for sure. thanks.

Power Player
10-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Dude you cant hit winners against the wall. Yet you keep slamming the ball... That's going to screw you up on court. Just get in a groove and hit relaxed. The wall is not really about bashing.

Bergboy123
10-20-2011, 09:37 PM
About 30 seconds into that first video I saw the forehand and heard your reaction and literally burst out laughing :D Sorry but I couldn't resist. But Power Player is right, no need to try to break down the wall or anything.

tennishotdog
10-20-2011, 09:41 PM
Dude you cant hit winners against the wall. Yet you keep slamming the ball... That's going to screw you up on court. Just get in a groove and hit relaxed. The wall is not really about bashing.

Yeh i know its bad to bash at the wall but I just wanted to feel what its like to unleash all that potential energy from the body onto the ball. It felt great.

an example of the shot that felt so unreal I could feel the impact energy of the ball all the way to my spine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZfelNbIsbc#t=0m38s

but in the other video i do hit relaxed and only hit big when I feel the timing was right.

yonexpurestorm
10-20-2011, 10:08 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=385000

read this and you will realize just how good even local open players are. obviously there is not chance you will be going pro, but even some of these local players are amazingly good. watching a 5.0 is a lot different than playing one. i started playing when i was 4 and just got back into it a year ago. i play quite often, but still lost the first round in my last 3 open tournaments.

atac
10-20-2011, 10:25 PM

Anyhoo, my ultimate goal in tennis is to compete at the Open level(5.5+) and maybe one day become a professional tennis player. Is this a realistic goal or just a pipe dream? Is it even a possibility to get to that level for someone like me?If you haven't had many match experiences at this point, you'll be lucky to win a game against a 5.0 player. Plus without any tournament experience, chances are you'll struggle playing the big points, making strategic adjustments, and being able to deal with variations in pace and spin. Thats a whole other aspect of the game you have to develop, the mental game is often the hardest to get down. Competing in tennis goes far beyond how well you hit the ball. I would also suggest ditch hitting against the wall because thats not gonna get you too far. You need some solid coaching, hit a million balls, and play a lot of tournaments, then theres no reason you can't improve with a lot of hard work but don't get your hopes for the open level.

GuyClinch
10-20-2011, 11:30 PM
I think this guy is trolling.. Sorry man..I am not sure you can beat me and I kinda suck..haha.

hawk eye
10-21-2011, 01:10 AM
Yes, must be nextbigthing1's other troll nick.

nextbigbigthing1
10-21-2011, 01:53 AM
but you seem to miss the point, 5.0 is just barely possible for you.

and planets away from the pro tour....

I would also point out that the always gracious rkelly posted that without the benefit of having seen you hit.

Yep the guys terrible , 5 foot and a hacker,

nextbigbigthing1
10-21-2011, 01:57 AM
Yes, must be nextbigthing1's other troll nick.

Lol i am top 10 nationally , i think i could destroy all players here haha

Timbo's hopeless slice
10-21-2011, 02:45 AM
you might want to run that past Tonlars...

Pet
10-21-2011, 02:55 AM
as you can see from the video of my physique, I was always the shortest and smallest guy on any team. I did dream that I could play professional basketball but I was way too short so I got cut by the highschool team. Hockey, same thing, all the bigger kids would easily knock me over, hit harder, shoot harder, skate faster, stronger on the puck. I was pretty crafty with the ball in soccer but I just couldn't kick as hard, run as fast and have the endurance as the bigger and more fitter kids. But I did play all those sports which helped with the athleticism.

But tennis is different, of course it's nice to be big tall and strong, but its not like those other sports where those physical attributes are absolutely necessary for success at high levels. Tennis I think is more about technique, speed and quickness, tactics and anticipation and of course the mental aspect. You dont need to be big and strong to hit the ball hard, thats why I think proper technique and fundamentals are so important therefore spent most of my time and energy on.

False, a tall guy in tennis have much more advantages than you, look the pros.

fedstorkes
10-21-2011, 10:10 AM
an example of the shot that felt so unreal I could feel the impact energy of the ball all the way to my spine

tho I think ur proly just a troll and look like a 3.0 hacker... but I must say that is an impressive forehand stroke... Very fed like. Its the most convincing one I have seen. So whats the key to pulling off this stroke? if you don't mind me asking, as im very interested in learning the fundamentals and mechanics behind this magnificient stroke.

Power Player
10-21-2011, 10:18 AM

Yeah, but you can't hit like that on the court, the ball will not go in. So it's pretty worthless and just screws up your swing.

Just hit relaxed and light on the wall if you want to get on a court and not be nailing the back fence and looking like a spaz.

fedstorkes
10-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Yeah, but you can't hit like that on the court, the ball will not go in. So it's pretty worthless and just screws up your swing.

Just hit relaxed and light on the wall if you want to get on a court and not be nailing the back fence and looking like a spaz.

I dun think it will screw up his wing, it looks just right. If he hits that forehand a ten feet behind the baseline and put lots of topspin on the ball I think it would land on the court and very deep as well. This is how pros hit, it looks like they bash the ball like crazy but it stays in the court.

tennis_balla
10-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Lol i am top 10 nationally

Top 10 Nationally in Canada in U16's?

i think i could destroy all players here haha

So why are you asking those players here if you can go pro?

Power Player
10-21-2011, 11:43 AM
I dun think it will screw up his wing, it looks just right. If he hits that forehand a ten feet behind the baseline and put lots of topspin on the ball I think it would land on the court and very deep as well. This is how pros hit, it looks like they bash the ball like crazy but it stays in the court.

LOl..nice troll account.

tennishotdog
10-21-2011, 12:00 PM
LOl..nice troll account.
what does this have anything to do with what i was discussing?

goober
10-21-2011, 12:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZfelNbIsbc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WYpPXpYgz8

some serves
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhXpx4JLdW0&feature=related

Based on these videos these are the TW ratings for those TW posters trying to go pro/get ATP points

Jake<Tennishotdog<peoplespeace<Yonexpurestorm <<<<Futures player with ATP points.

The peanut gallery has spoken. :)

tennis_balla
10-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Who's Jake?

VGP
10-21-2011, 12:18 PM
you might want to run that past Tonlars...

Speaking of Tony Larson, why not do what he's done in the past couple of years and get geared up for a regional tournament for the US Open wildcard playoff.

I'm sure your results will give you the answer you seek.

yonexpurestorm
10-21-2011, 12:20 PM
Based on these videos these are the TW ratings for those TW posters trying to go pro/get ATP points

Jake<Tennishotdog<peoplespeace<Yonexpurestorm <<<<Futures player with ATP points.

The peanut gallery has spoken. :)

this is very true. the level of these guys that are only even at the bottom of the future level (which is the lowest pro you can be) are insanely good. unless you started before 7 and devoted all your time to tennis you will never make a living playing tennis. i work towards getting better and maybe geting lucky enough to win an open with decent prize money, but know i will always have my office job to pay the bills. even getting 1 point doesnt make u proffesional because you arent making enough money to live on.

Power Player
10-21-2011, 12:24 PM
what does this have anything to do with what i was discussing?

I think you got confused with your secondary account.

It makes sense because I clearly quoted your alias, which normally should be a different person and you would have disregarded what I said.

tennishotdog
10-21-2011, 12:27 PM
ooops you caught me. im such a troll. lol

HunterST
10-21-2011, 12:29 PM
this is very true. the level of these guys that are only even at the bottom of the future level (which is the lowest pro you can be) are insanely good. unless you started before 7 and devoted all your time to tennis you will never make a living playing tennis. i work towards getting better and maybe geting lucky enough to win an open with decent prize money, but know i will always have my office job to pay the bills. even getting 1 point doesnt make u proffesional because you arent making enough money to live on.

If a guy has one atp point and is, thus, about 1500 in the world and wants to call himself a pro, I don't think we should argue with them! :) I agree, though, even that great of a player couldn't make a living off of tennis.

goober
10-21-2011, 12:34 PM
If a guy has one atp point and is, thus, about 1500 in the world and wants to call himself a pro, I don't think we should argue with them! :) I agree, though, even that great of a player couldn't make a living off of tennis.

He could probably do what Tonlars is doing. Go play in money open events and teach on the side.

tennishotdog
10-21-2011, 03:29 PM
okay since my cover was blown i might as well come clean. i was just joking about the dreaming to go pro thing. it was just a cover to show the video of me hitting with a forehand that somewhat resembles the forehand of the famous roger federer. in hindsight, i guess i could've done it in a less distasteful way, but that is immaturity on my part and I apologize.

Timbo's hopeless slice
10-21-2011, 03:44 PM
somewhat resembles the forehand of the famous roger federer????

If you mean you both have a tennis racquet in your hand, then ok....

tennishotdog
10-21-2011, 04:06 PM
hey at least give me some credit for putting it on video lol
but I think Im close to figuring it out soon, just a few more wrinkles to iron out and i think i will have a systematic method to pull it off beautifully. im not kidding, i've been researching a method to learn this type of slingshot forehand for quite some time now. i cannot remember the countless hours i've watched federers slow mo videos to learn every minute detail of his stroke mechanics down.

Fuji
10-21-2011, 04:43 PM
My brain hurts from reading this thread.

-Fuji

Power Player
10-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Lol. I love how weird this guy is.

He actually had 2 accounts and the other one came in to pay him compliments on his strokes and say they looked like Federer and that his video was "how the pros hit".

That is true narcissism, and just plain weird.

Fuji
10-21-2011, 04:52 PM

He actually had 2 accounts and the other one came in to pay him compliments on his strokes and say they looked like Federer and that his video was "how the pros hit".

LOL! I should make another account to comment on my match results thread, might boost my ego! :twisted: :lol:

-Fuji

Mick
10-21-2011, 04:52 PM
somewhat resembles the forehand of the famous roger federer????

If you mean you both have a tennis racquet in your hand, then ok....

haha, i thought i was the only one here who didn't see the similarity.
sorry, tennishotdog but at least you are trying and one day it might end up looking like federer's fh :)

gregor.b
10-21-2011, 04:57 PM
Umm,I don't think so.If you are not a satellite player by your twenties,you are unlikely to become a pro.

tennishotdog
10-21-2011, 05:15 PM

hey we all have narcissism in us even the most modest. its human nature. some have it more than others i guess. and some just weird like me :)

Bobby Jr
10-21-2011, 05:39 PM
whoa I left for a few hours and this thread is already two pages. thank you all for the dose of reality. I guess I didnt know what I was smoking when these thoughts went through my head.

I think my goal now is to just get to the highest level I possibly can and go from there. Of course I never dreamt of becoming a real pro playing on the ATP tour, that is just next to impossible.
Without having read the rest of the thread, if you're in your mid twenties and play as you do in those videos you have basically zero chance of becoming a pro.

You hit a nice ball by club player standards but the foibles in your strokes show through heavily. Your forehand is heavily inspired by how you think Federer hits his. The risk when attempting to mimic like that is you miss the finer details of the stroke and what makes it what it is. Being able to objectively view how someone hits a stroke and then come up with a specific set of improvements to practice to move in that direction is a rare skill. You should be able to watch the video and see what you need to improve on but I dare say you don't have that level of self analysis. Most people never develop it to a high enough level.

RoddickAce
10-21-2011, 05:52 PM
sorry, tennishotdog but at least you are trying and one day it might end up looking like federer's fh :)

I think his followthrough end position from the side video looks like Federer's.

HunterST
10-21-2011, 07:44 PM
okay since my cover was blown i might as well come clean. i was just joking about the dreaming to go pro thing. it was just a cover to show the video of me hitting with a forehand that somewhat resembles the forehand of the famous roger federer. in hindsight, i guess i could've done it in a less distasteful way, but that is immaturity on my part and I apologize.

I think hitting on the wall has messed up your swing a bit. Not to be repetitive, but it's way, way to flat. That's the biggest issue in your swing. You mentioned how you're going to change grips for a more vertical swing path. Unfortunately, that isn't how it works. You need to work on swinging up on the ball. Good news is you get to keep your current grip!

aimr75
10-21-2011, 08:38 PM

Option 1: Make up some elaborate thread about going pro and create two accounts to prop yourself up at how great your strokes are and dig yourself into a hole in the process

Option 2: Just ask for some feedback on your strokes

:roll:

dennis10is
10-21-2011, 08:50 PM

No Dude, if you listen of the masters here. you could go pro, even be the greatest ever.

WW forehand, laid back wrist, angular momentum, kinetic chain. You'll be great in no time.

tennishotdog
10-21-2011, 09:11 PM
I think hitting on the wall has messed up your swing a bit. Not to be repetitive, but it's way, way to flat. That's the biggest issue in your swing. You mentioned how you're going to change grips for a more vertical swing path. Unfortunately, that isn't how it works. You need to work on swinging up on the ball. Good news is you get to keep your current grip!

I do hit very flat and its a problem that im trying to work on.
sometimes i really have to hold back on taking a full swing just so that the ball can land inside the court either that or I really have to stand as far back from the baseline as possible.

I will experiment with different ways to swing up on the ball more to get more net clearance and have it land inside the court. hopefully i keep my current grip and wont mess up the overall stroke too much that i start arming it.

you're right about the wall, it messes with not only my swing and making me hit flat but my timing as well, but its hard to find good hitting partners where i play. most people are only interested in playing matches(mostly doubles)

tennishotdog
10-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Option 1: Make up some elaborate thread about going pro and create two accounts to prop yourself up at how great your strokes are and dig yourself into a hole in the process

Option 2: Just ask for some feedback on your strokes

:roll:

well, i learned my lesson :). next time i'll resist my strong inner urge to troll, the narcissist in me just yearns for it.:twisted:

tennishotdog
10-21-2011, 10:52 PM
You hit a nice ball by club player standards but the foibles in your strokes show through heavily. Your forehand is heavily inspired by how you think Federer hits his. The risk when attempting to mimic like that is you miss the finer details of the stroke and what makes it what it is. Being able to objectively view how someone hits a stroke and then come up with a specific set of improvements to practice to move in that direction is a rare skill. You should be able to watch the video and see what you need to improve on but I dare say you don't have that level of self analysis. Most people never develop it to a high enough level.

yes you're right, i've made this mistake many times and still do. i watch the videos and then go try to force it to look a certain way as i remembered seeing. this has caused some very bad habits and messed up the sound techniques that i'd learned.

lately I've stopped watching them and just hit what feels natural to me and been getting better results. before i was constantly obsessing over minute details that i forget the basics of a sound stroke and so everything just breaks down from there. fortunately I do have some fundamentals that i can coming back to whenever I mess up trying different things to get that forehand to look right.

tennishotdog
10-21-2011, 11:56 PM
I think his followthrough end position from the side video looks like Federer's.

thanks, thats probably the only part that looks somewhat similar, im still working on other parts like the takeback loop, the wrist, and the swingpath.

thanks, i know the similarities are not all there yet but yeh at least im trying. hopefully one day it'll end up with a fh that looks and hits like feds and post another video when I do.

hawk eye
10-22-2011, 01:27 AM
Gotta love those troll convertion threads.

JW10S
10-22-2011, 07:05 PM
The OP has a 100 times better chance of being hit by lightening or winning the lotto than turning pro. I've seen too many players who spend hours hitting against a wall mistakenly thinking it's the same as playing real tennis. They daydream they're playing a real match and wrongly convince themselves they are good--they're not. Hitting against a wall is nothing like playing a match and tells very little about what kind of player you really are. It's easy to convince yourself you're better than you really are hitting against a wall. From watching the videos it's scary that this guy actually believes he has any chance to play professionally. The serve alone is hillarious...

pushing_wins
10-25-2011, 01:08 PM
hey OP, how are you handling all the negative feedback? what is your opinion now?