PDA

View Full Version : What pro's/s' game/s does your game resemble?

GotGame?
07-12-2005, 06:08 AM
What pro or pros does your game resemble? I never really modeled my game after any pro, but reading through some things on Wilander, it seems like my true game resembles him; at least that is the only pro I could find for now. I'm more of the baseline player with my concentration/mind being my best weapon. Like Wilander, my speed is also my weapon because I'd like to think that I move like a cat and exploit all my opponent's weakness; hopefully I'm right LOL. Playing my best, I'm not too flashy, not really cracking winners and hitting a barrage of aces. But my game must be consistent, like Wilander's was described as, I try to never miss a passing shot and always try to maintain the accuracy of my serve. Like him also, I am developing into an all-courter, developing such things as my slice backhand, and getting my volley to the reliance of my groundies. Wilander won his first slam on the clay, which happens to be the surface I am always dying to play on. Hopefully, I can prove to be adapt on all surfaces like Wilander.

Thanks in advance for your responses

peter
07-12-2005, 06:21 AM
Hmm... Not that my game looks like anything a pro would produce, but anyway - I guess I then would be like Carlos Moya - Big forehand. Lousy backhand & serve. Doesn't like to go to the net. :-)

GotGame?
07-12-2005, 06:23 AM
Hmm... Not that my game looks like anything a pro would produce, but anyway - I guess I then would be like Carlos Moya - Big forehand. Lousy backhand & serve. Doesn't like to go to the net. :-)

yeah, that's exactly the question I'm trying to ask. If your game was something a pro would produce, my advice is get off these boards and start making the big bucks if you really played like Carlos Moya, LOL... So discount the level the pros play it, and I guess ask yourself whose game style you have...

Grimjack
07-12-2005, 06:36 AM
Any one of a million 2hbh grinders who have decent serves and use forehands as their only real weapons.

thejackal
07-12-2005, 06:45 AM
I'd say Taylor Dent, with Andy Roddick's volley skills....

Power_Player
07-12-2005, 10:19 AM
Erm...I'd say my game is similar to Lindsay Davenport's, with hard, flat groundstrokes and a good serve.

Max G.
07-12-2005, 10:20 AM
Heh. There isn't any pro that matches my playing style.

I have:

Medium-big first serve; I don't take very much off of it for the second, I know some people say that my second serve can be as hard to return as my first. The price I pay for that is that occasionally, when my serve goes "off" for a bit (which it does often enough) I don't know what to do with it, since I don't really have a "safe" serve to go to.

I have good volleys and good reflexes at net; have got some touch.

Up until now, there are plenty of serve-volley players who I could call as having a similar game to me...

...but then my baseline game just throws off any comparisons...

I have a full western forehand, and when I'm at the baseline I can really crank up the topspin on it; have trouble flattening it out.

I have a slice-only backhand.

On return of serve, I generally hit chip forehand returns as well, unless my opponent is trying to serve and volley.

Have fun finding a pro that plays like that, in the modern game at least.

Crichton
07-12-2005, 01:01 PM
No being a pro, I would say my game most resembles Courier w/out the extreme grips. Big forehand, love the inside out for a winner, 2H backhand, underrated serve and a decent volley. Under estimated speed and willingness to grind out matches if big shots aren't working.

zorg
07-12-2005, 01:16 PM
Federer. I have a good forhand, pretty good 1hbh, not much power on serve but I have very good placement and control of it, and I am an all court player.

splink779
07-12-2005, 01:24 PM
Safin, because when I play well I play really well but I usually play like crap. Otherwise my physical game might resemble Ferrero.

splink779
07-12-2005, 01:26 PM

I have:

Medium-big first serve; I don't take very much off of it for the second, I know some people say that my second serve can be as hard to return as my first. The price I pay for that is that occasionally, when my serve goes "off" for a bit (which it does often enough) I don't know what to do with it, since I don't really have a "safe" serve to go to.

Up until now, there are plenty of serve-volley players who I could call as having a similar game to me...

I have a full western forehand, and when I'm at the baseline I can really crank up the topspin on it; have trouble flattening it out.

On return of serve, I generally hit chip forehand returns as well, unless my opponent is trying to serve and volley.

You sound exactly like a friend I play with, exactly. You're not alone.

Babblelot
07-12-2005, 01:27 PM
My "style" was inspired, not by this player, but by the same thing that inspired this player's style of play. I found myself playing nothing but the dreaded "dinkers" on the Chicago public courts, so I decided to go for broke on ever shot. I have absolutely no touch--don't have the grips for soft hands. My goal is to overwhelm my oppenent with power. I go for winners--I don't construct points. My W-to-UE differential < 0, but I don't care. (...it probably has a lot to do with being a control freak.) :D

So I was shocked a few years ago to find someone in the Top 50 who approaches the game just like me. Have you figured out who I'm describing yet?

He's one of my favs (#4 overall)...Gonzo.

Favorite postmatch quote about Gonzo's game.

"It was like being in the middle of a hurricane," said Schalken after winning a match in which his opponent, Gonzalez, hit 77 winners and 77 UE. LMAO!! :p

ACE of Hearts
07-12-2005, 01:39 PM
Andy Roddick :confused: , my backhand needs some work, my forehand is pretty good.i can get my serve up in the 130s.My highest has been 138.

Return_Ace
07-12-2005, 01:49 PM
<-------see sig :)

I just feel that i have talent that hasn't been unlocked :)
My 'best' is very erratic and can change from blowing everyone off the court to losing to a tennis n00b......
anyways, pretty good FH, good BH, nice touch, good all court game, can come to the net if i want, so so serve.......

Christopher
07-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Roddick.

For a just turned 16 year old, I have a big serve, been clocked at 98 in, but is usually hovering around the 90s. Well, Im told thats big for a kid my age anyway.

I have a strong forehand, but the backhand could use some work.

And my volleyings not great.

Muse
07-12-2005, 02:17 PM
Lleyton Hewitt. I'm about the same size as him physically, and I also grind points out from the baseline.

donnyz89
07-12-2005, 02:18 PM
i would say ROGER FEDERER... im THE BOSS (quote from tennis magazine aug)

Aykhan Mammadov
07-12-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm myself PRO participated in a lot of qualification matches. Despite I beat Fed and Pete a few times in friendy matches I couldn't get through and become champion so I chose for myself another profession.

baselinebrawler
07-12-2005, 02:37 PM
My game resembles henin-hardenne, 1h both wings, moves opponent around well then jump on short ball for winner

supersmash
07-12-2005, 02:44 PM
i don't think there's a pro out there who could play at such a crappy level as me. man, this thread makes me feel bad.

FedererUberAlles
07-12-2005, 02:48 PM
I try to take things from different players. I go pure serve and volley. One handed backhand. Eastern forehand. Good serve depending on how confident I am. Volleys are ok when I remember the mechanics and I am relaxed.

GotGame?
07-12-2005, 02:54 PM
i don't think there's a pro out there who could play at such a crappy level as me. man, this thread makes me feel bad.
This should answer that, supersmash.
Hmm... Not that my game looks like anything a pro would produce, but anyway - I guess I then would be like Carlos Moya - Big forehand. Lousy backhand & serve. Doesn't like to go to the net.
yeah, that's exactly the question I'm trying to ask. If your game was something a pro would produce, my advice is get off these boards and start making the big bucks if you really played like Carlos Moya, LOL... So discount the level the pros play it, and I guess ask yourself whose game style you have...

fjgarciap
07-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Saving the BIG distances between my game and the pros' (lol) I would say Guillermo Caņas: I'm the same height, play mainly from the baseline, run to every ball, have a tenacious game.

Max G.
07-12-2005, 04:41 PM
You sound exactly like a friend I play with, exactly. You're not alone.

Yay! :)

[silly ten-character requirement]

TheGreatBernie
07-12-2005, 04:45 PM
Hewitt. I'm definitely a grinder who likes spins.

sedwickdotcom
07-12-2005, 04:49 PM
Rusedski
Good Serve, Good Volleys, Shi**y backhand that i almost always slice

Grinder
07-12-2005, 05:14 PM
I have a big western forehand and I run around my two handed backhand often, I usually stick around the baseline. I serve around 105-115 on first serves and 85 on second serves. I'd say I most resemble a terrible version of Carlos Moya.

Babblelot
07-12-2005, 05:38 PM
Hmmm...now that I think of it, I had been to a number of Challenger tourneys during the mid-to-late '90s and early '00s, and I remember this one dude--don't recall where he was from, only that it was some obscure country. Can't recall his name--something like Aiken Mohammed???? Anyway, he was very explosive but graceful, and displayed tremendous skills--kind of like a cross between Paes and Sampras. I thought, "Now here's a game to model mine after." As it turned out, I wasn't disciplined enough to develop an all court game, so I decided to become a slugger.

Have always wondered what ever happened to this guy???? Anyone ever hear of him? Aiken Mohammed (I know that's not his name, but it's something like that).

Andres
07-12-2005, 05:57 PM
Ivanisevic... but with a one handed backhand... and my shirt always on, and my racquets still intact ;)

Big serve, nice volleys, but I've got a little Caņas and a little Nalbandian on me. I chase every ball, and shot a lot of nice dropshots.

theace21
07-12-2005, 06:16 PM
I like to chip and charge on weak serves - McEnroe

wtennis206
07-12-2005, 06:21 PM
Roddick. Not a huge serve (high 90's or low 100's on my 1st serve), but placed out wide. Strong forehand and consistant backhand, but most importantly: CRAPPY VOLLEYS!

nextNalbandian
07-13-2005, 03:15 AM
I can't really say. I'm 15 years old and have clocked my serve at 102. Pretty tall, have solid volleys, but when the ball gets rollin I turn into Nalbandian and become a counter puncher. Anyone know of a counterpuncher with a good serve.

pound cat
07-13-2005, 03:52 AM
Mansour Bahrani...the idea of bring a chair ot the court and playing from there was the most innovative thing to come to to tennis since Sampras' jumping overhead.

x Southpaw x
07-13-2005, 04:41 AM
A left-handed Roger Federer.

Feņa14
07-13-2005, 07:03 AM
I would say Thomas Johansson, my 2 handed Backhand is my best shot and can do anything with it and I like to hit it pretty flat. My Forehand has more spin and is slightly weaker but can move it round and hit winners. I also love short balls on either wing.

My serve is ok, but it does the job. Volleys are pretty poor but I can put away easy balls.

Ronaldo
07-13-2005, 07:27 AM
Shawn Bradley, slow, awkward, can't jump over a poker chip, Posterized has-been. No forehand, sliced bh, volley stinks, bad 2nd serve, with poor footwork. On a good day

TEAMRAFA
07-13-2005, 08:56 AM
Roddick. I'm 5'8" 135 lbs and I can serve about 115. If only I would grow...

Plus I pretty much only take forehands. I might hit 6 backhands in a set. Maybe thats more comparable to Nadal than Roddick.

Max G.
07-13-2005, 09:01 AM
I can't really say. I'm 15 years old and have clocked my serve at 102. Pretty tall, have solid volleys, but when the ball gets rollin I turn into Nalbandian and become a counter puncher. Anyone know of a counterpuncher with a good serve.

Gael Monfils!

Ben42
07-13-2005, 09:11 AM
Todd Martin.

BreakPoint
07-13-2005, 10:22 AM
Federer/Sampras

I mix in some serve and volley, have a big serve, like to finish points off at the net, have a pretty good one-handed backhand, and use a lot of variety in my game. Now if I only had Sampras's running forehand.........

efice32
07-13-2005, 11:44 AM
Federer without the movement. Like to keep my opponents off balance and I don't have a really powerful serve but I can control it well and move it around the box. I have a pretty consistent return of serve and I can get back most serves. I have good volleys considering I don't play up there all the time and if I get a short ball, I'll usually make you pay for it. My one-handed backhand could use some work (which is unlike Federer) but i have a great slice that really bites and stays low. I like to mix up the spin on my forehand and keep my opponent guessing.

fantom
07-13-2005, 11:51 AM
Definitely Safin for me.

Strong serve.

Great 2HBH. (my best shot)

Good FH. (although mine is more erratic)

Competent at net.

Big guy who moves well (I'm 6'3").

AngeloDS
07-13-2005, 12:13 PM
I don't know who my games mimmick really. Maybe someone can tell me?

I'm not sure... My strategy is planning ahead. I'm more of a thinker. I'm a tactical person and usually think my shots 3-4 hits down the road and what I'm going to do. And after the first few matches. I know what I'm going to do to down the road. I'm going to try to tire my oponnent out, try to hit angled shots, and other stuff. I'm really task oriented. I think about what I'm going to do mechanically, rather than the outcome of a point.

My game is really centered around my forehand and volley capabilities. I have complete control over my forehands during rallies. My volley capabilities is really up there. I can control the ball well. I can place the ball and then have my opponent on the run and then be in perfect place to volley.

I use two handed and one handed backhands. Two handed for usually down the line with punch. I go for one handed backhands cross court with topspin, occasionally I'll hit down the line but they're not winners. My one handed slice backhands skid off the ground, and with my new racquet. I get a lot of spin on it, it curves in the air and continues taking hard skips. I use my one handed backhand topspin the most, I use one handed backhand slice the second most, and in last is my two handed backhand.

My ability to serve SUCKS. I can't serve worth for beans. My serves lag way behind my forehands and my backhands and my volleys.

Boy Wonder
07-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Nadal

First of all, my style is not exactly like Nadal's since I'm a righty. I am pretty slim, and I'm not bulky looking almost not at all, probably ectomorph like Nadal. But I have been told" you're stronger than you look." I play safe, heavy topspin groundstrokes, can rely on my wheels, and will scramble for anything and everything. The forehand will always be my stronger side like Nadal's, but my backhand is no slouch either. My serve is the same weapon as Nadal's, which is pretty consistent, but can get off at any time, and it is not really a weapon. My volley is fairly competent also, but I need practice in rushing the net, and hopefully getting more doubles in like Nadal will help this cause. Hopefully, I can truely have Nadal's same attitude!

fedex27
07-13-2005, 05:27 PM
if my game resembled a pro, i would be a pro

Phil
07-13-2005, 06:03 PM
Eddie Dibbs.

pound cat
07-13-2005, 06:13 PM
LOL phil...is he related to mansoor??

Boy Wonder
07-13-2005, 06:23 PM
I would assume that all who replied including me are speaking of pro's playing style, not game, because if you were playing at that level, enough said...

joesixtoe
07-13-2005, 07:30 PM
i would say agassi, except with a western forhand... one of the ways i learn how to play is by watching the pro's, and agassi is my fav.

bcaz
07-14-2005, 07:31 PM
Lefty ... I play like Patty Schnyder ...

ShooterMcMarco
07-14-2005, 07:59 PM
my offensive game is not as good as my defensive, so i'll say roger/nadal/hewitt in that regard. i'm speedy around the court

Ken.Knight
07-14-2005, 08:05 PM
I just added serve and volleying to what I do. It's working extremely well so far. I have an allcourt game, with a great backhand slice, and okay backhand, and actually a weak forehand.

I think I'd be Edberg. A severely, severely toned down version of Edberg. Except he S&Ved constantly.

RiosTheGenius
07-14-2005, 08:11 PM
I'm a pusher with gaps of good ofensive forehands and shotmaking so I guess I'm the 4.0 version of Lleyton Hewitt.

friedalo1
07-14-2005, 08:31 PM
I hit a 115 serve,and have a Aggresive game with super returns. I play like Lleyton Hewitt. I dont like Lleyton Hewitt personality. My personality is more like Rodger Federer on the court.

Clutch
08-24-2005, 11:02 AM
I'm a mini Gael Monfils since I'm around 5'6" and 15. I have discovered my serve pretty recently, and it is a Roddick-esque delivery that has become more of an asset then a liability in the past. Even with the big serve, I guess I'm a claycourt type player, like I hear Monfils is. I'm also pretty loose, lanky, and have a lean frame. Like Monfils, I have room to improve.

Breaker
08-24-2005, 03:30 PM
Lleyton Hewitt. Great passing shots with a slightly better backhand pass. Good topspin lob. Don't come to net often but when I do 9 times out of 10 I'll win the point. Speed and determination are my weapons and can't generate much of my own pace.Even my serve looks like his which I didn't notice until just now...And return of serve is one of my weapons. Yet I'm stil a lowly 4.0......

andfor
08-24-2005, 05:22 PM
My game is a combination of Borg, McEnroe and Lendl with sprinkles of Becker top.

luke15aw
08-24-2005, 05:42 PM

I have:

you have my game!

callitout
08-24-2005, 05:52 PM
My golf game is like Tiger Woods'
I drive like Michael Schumacher
Look like Brad Pitt
Mind like Einstein
As a healer I resemble Osler
My game resembles Big Bill Tilden, because he's dead and so is my game.
But I do use the same Penn tennis balls the pros use.
And the Yonex racquet Hewitt uses.

callitout
08-25-2005, 06:50 AM
Have any of you guys won any majors, you sound pretty good. Especially the guys over 6 ft serving in the 120s who move well, can volley, and backhand is unreturnable. Oh thats almost everybodys style here. Wow the average poster on this forum is a 6.5; its an honor to meet you guys.

johnmcc516
08-25-2005, 07:06 AM
I hate to say Fed because there is really no comparison. But I hit a 1hbh, semi western forehand. (yea i know fed's is more of an eastern). I have a developing all court game.

johnmcc516
08-25-2005, 07:09 AM

Yeap

10 characters...

War, Safin!
08-25-2005, 07:54 AM
Nearly all my shots resemble Sampras...definately the serve anyway, My forehand and backhand are a bit more Federer-ish now...

vkartikv
08-25-2005, 11:38 AM
Just like Hewitt, except with a single handed backhand. Tried to be smooth like Fed, but I cant keep my mouth shut...

teedub
08-25-2005, 12:10 PM
Blake, forehand's my weapon, 1hbh thats weak but can slice and come over it and decent serve. soso net game

smittysan89
08-25-2005, 12:29 PM
safin definately for me, i have the same size and build like him and we move on the court very similairly. I also have a sort of jumping bh that I imploy and make a rush to the net sometimes as well. Also sort of like Moya though, big forehand aggresive player.

Clutch
08-25-2005, 12:45 PM
How about this for all you high-strung guys on this board: What pro's/s' GAME STYLE/S does your game resemble? I can't believe these uptight people.

spinbalz
08-25-2005, 01:01 PM
An impossible mix of the games of the 2 players situated at the most opposite sides of the tennis spectrum : Brad Gilbert and henry Leconte's games.

ironchef21
08-25-2005, 01:17 PM
I'm a lefty so growing up I idolized McEnroe & Connors' games. I hit a 2H backhand and try to attack on my return of serve like Connors and I tried (emphasis on tried) to emulate his mentality in fighting through matches. I hit with more topspin but my shots are generally flat.

Serving-wise I used to try to copy McEnroe's serving motion which probably explains why it was so inconsistent growing up! I have since modified it but still try to disguise where I'm going. I also like to S&V and I played a lot of doubles because he did too.

Thankfully my demeanor (tantrums, etc.) on the court was not similar to those 2. I'm more like the Swedes.

Now divide the talent level by a lot, subtract a bit more, and you have my game! ;)

RB
08-25-2005, 05:14 PM
I also started playing tennis after seeing Jimmy Connors play in the early 70's----even used a T2000---I got away from that style play after realizing that I won more matches hitting topspin strokes-(couldnt quite do it like Connors-*LOL*)-Then I stopped Playing for YEARS-- BUT--I have come back around to my original love of the game now--hitting the ball flat off both sides-(2handed back hand)-Using the Racquet that Connors last used-(Prince Mono)--stringing it as he did on the Senior Tour-(Low Tension -Natural Gut-Leather grip)---Now I love to play the "Loopers" and try and pound it back at them LOW-and see what they can do with it----so what if I lose a few--Im having a great time!!

Viper
08-25-2005, 08:45 PM
Im like a prototype Federer. I play beutifully and add the right touch, spin, power. I float around on the court and get to every ball no mater where it is.

thatballwas_IN
08-25-2005, 08:57 PM
I used to be scrappy and fiery like Hewitt... but with limited skills.
But now I am using a 1HBH and being more creative with angles like Federer. However my serve, although fast, resembles no pro player. I can hit some aces, but I really want to be able to hit a big kicker and disguise my serve better.
But I am always improving which is what is most important.

crazylevity
08-25-2005, 09:30 PM
I admire Federer's game to no end, but I'd say my game is more like Henin-Hardenne. SW Forehand, 1 handed backhand competent both with topspin and slice, all court game. Strokes smooth and beautiful at slow pace, look like rubbish when rushed. :p

Rafa Nadal
08-26-2005, 07:16 AM
Nadal !!!
I like to fight like him, has a spin forehand, play from the baseline, and my volley skills are so bad like his ;)

monfils
08-26-2005, 08:50 AM
My game resembles Gael Monfils. exactly same motion on the serve and forehand. Not the same backhand. Agressive forehand with spin, big serve, average backhand, average volleys.

!Tym
08-26-2005, 10:02 AM
Hi, my name is Roger Federer! To answer your question: Everyone's, only better.

Warriorroger
08-27-2005, 01:29 AM
My game is totally modelled after Steffi Graf's game, even tennisteachers and watchers said it. Although, I am a man, I have the same forehand action, the same serve, slice backhand and footwork all at my level of course. The only thing different that I more often use a topspin backhand, which I modelled after Roger Federer's. So I copied to of the all time greats. I even play with the Graf Wilson racket.

Nadal_Rulz
08-27-2005, 02:52 AM
Roddick.

For a just turned 16 year old, I have a big serve, been clocked at 98 in, but is usually hovering around the 90s. Well, Im told thats big for a kid my age anyway.

I have a strong forehand, but the backhand could use some work.

And my volleyings not great.
sorry to burst your bubble but....i dont think thats very fast for your age. I serve that fast too and im 14. anyway, i say roddick for me too. big serve,big forehand,backhand is sorty of tempermental,but i have better volleys.

CoASH
08-27-2005, 04:32 AM
I resemble sampras serve, federer forehand, gaudio backhand, agassi volley

callitout
08-27-2005, 10:56 AM
sorry to burst your bubble but....i dont think thats very fast for your age. I serve that fast too and im 14. anyway, i say roddick for me too. big serve,big forehand,backhand is sorty of tempermental,but i have better volleys.

Depends on the level for club play thats a good hard serve--elite 18 year old juniors serve 120-130...But Gasquet rarely serves above 115 so its not really a problem if the rest of your game is magic.

callitout
08-27-2005, 10:58 AM
Im like a prototype Federer. I play beutifully and add the right touch, spin, power. I float around on the court and get to every ball no mater where it is.

How much do you charge for people to watch you play? Oh btw have you signed with an agent yet?

westside
08-28-2005, 12:50 AM
I'm a bit like Blake. Good forehand, preety good backhand. Gets alot of spin and I am good at placing serves.

35ft6
08-28-2005, 02:13 AM
if my game resembled a pro, i would be a pro If you resembled Brad Pitt, would you be a multi-millionaire dating A Jolie? Your logic makes no sense.

I play high percentage, placement tennis. Slice backhand, heavy top spin forehand. So basically I'm the 6 foot tall, 210 pound Conchita Martinez. :(

In practice, though, I can crank it consistently. I just learned that in college tennis if I played certain patterns, I was almost certain to win. Rather win ugly than lose pretty, I guess.