PDA

View Full Version : Is 5 11 tall enough to become an ATP pro

nextbigbigthing1
10-21-2011, 02:02 AM
Is that height fine , or too small?

10-21-2011, 02:12 AM

fine, but you better be quick and in shape.

Timbo's hopeless slice
10-21-2011, 02:41 AM
David Ferrer is 5' 8"

westside
10-21-2011, 02:44 AM
Hewitt is 5'11"

fuzz nation
10-21-2011, 05:36 AM
Compared with some amusement park rides, I'm pretty sure that the tour has no height requirements. The only thing that needs to be big enough is your game.

TennisCJC
10-21-2011, 06:54 AM
David Ferrer is 5' 8"

Yea, Ferrer is pretty tough to be one of the smaller guys on tour. Great example. He stands in and hits through the ball, serves pretty well for his size, and is quick. He has decent hard court results and I think he won a small grass court tournament a couple of years ago.

He has wins over Nadal and Roddick on hard courts.

One tough cookie.

Davydenko is another example. He has wins over Nadal and many other top 10 players on hard courts. I think he is 5'10".

larry10s
10-21-2011, 07:05 AM
yes but tough to be top 10

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-21-2011, 07:12 AM

Ferrer, Davydenko,Chang,Grosjean,Rios.

Limpinhitter
10-21-2011, 07:30 AM
Yea, Ferrer is pretty tough to be one of the smaller guys on tour. Great example. He stands in and hits through the ball, serves pretty well for his size, and is quick. He has decent hard court results and I think he won a small grass court tournament a couple of years ago.

He has wins over Nadal and Roddick on hard courts.

One tough cookie.

Davydenko is another example. He has wins over Nadal and many other top 10 players on hard courts. I think he is 5'10".

Davydenko doesn't just have wins over top 10 players, he has a high rank of #3, was top 5 for 4-5 years and top 10 for 6-7 years. And he's only about 150lbs.

Limpinhitter
10-21-2011, 07:31 AM

Not really! See above!

Venetian
10-21-2011, 07:31 AM
How about Olivier Rochus at 5'6"? I believe he's been consistently ranked in the top 50 quite a few years.

I know he won the French Open doubles title in 04.

Venetian
10-21-2011, 07:34 AM
Seriously dude, 5'11" is borderline "tall". Go enjoy life and don't worry about things like this.

Limpinhitter
10-21-2011, 07:37 AM
Ferrer, Davydenko,Chang,Grosjean,Rios.

Laver, Rosewall, McKinley, Richie, Nastase, Orantes, Connors, Agassi were all 5'10" or less and all former #1's (except McKinley who was a Wimbledon champion as an amature and, at 5'6", one of the great leaping acrobatic athletes in tennis history).

TennisCoachFLA
10-21-2011, 07:41 AM
I am missing how this is even a valid thread. The fact that there are indeed ATP pros 5'11" and shorter makes the answer to the initial question obvious and not open to debate.

Venetian
10-21-2011, 07:48 AM
I am missing how this is even a valid thread. The fact that there are indeed ATP pros 5'11" and shorter makes the answer to the initial question obvious and not open to debate.

I'm just trying to figure out why someone would think 5'11" is too short to do anything.

Can't think of a name
10-21-2011, 07:49 AM
http://www.puntodebreak.com/files/images/rochus-karlovic.jpg

PrinceMoron
10-21-2011, 07:51 AM
194 cms is a bad height as it means that when you stand toe to the baseline the nettape obscures the baseline exactly. It also means you know when the net is not at the right height. However, you get the reputation for being pernickety, it just drives you nuts if you are 194cms.

I guess all those shorter than me are looking under the net at the court. Must be odd.

Ronaldo
10-21-2011, 08:34 AM

Nah, remember, short people got no reason to live. But if Renee Richards can do it, there's the WTA.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-21-2011, 08:45 AM
Laver, Rosewall, McKinley, Richie, Nastase, Orantes, Connors, Agassi were all 5'10" or less and all former #1's (except McKinley who was a Wimbledon champion as an amature and, at 5'6", one of the great leaping acrobatic athletes in tennis history).

I know, i gave examples of player within the last 10-15 years, forgot Agassi though

Ronaldo
10-21-2011, 08:53 AM
I know, i gave examples of player within the last 10-15 years, forgot Agassi though

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Janko-Tipsarevic.aspx

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Kei-Nishikori.aspx

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Alex-Bogomolov-Jr.aspx

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Tommy-Robredo.aspx

DavaiMarat
10-21-2011, 08:57 AM

Ask Olivier Rochus

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-21-2011, 08:58 AM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Janko-Tipsarevic.aspx

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Kei-Nishikori.aspx

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Alex-Bogomolov-Jr.aspx

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Tommy-Robredo.aspx

Yes, we can sit here all night dropping names, i think the point has been made already.

ollinger
10-21-2011, 09:07 AM
I suspect (touring) pros under six feet will be rare or disappear soon. The proliferation of very tall pros will make it harder and harder for average height guys to keep hitting balls that bounce at their eye level.

r2473
10-21-2011, 09:16 AM
http://www.heightgainer.com/?gclid=CI7a_Nyj-qsCFQxmhwodyCHMnQ

goran_ace
10-21-2011, 09:42 AM
I suspect (touring) pros under six feet will be rare or disappear soon. The proliferation of very tall pros will make it harder and harder for average height guys to keep hitting balls that bounce at their eye level.

With the speed and defense in today's game it's also becoming tougher for the very tall pros who don't move as well as the rest of the guys on the tour.

HunterST
10-21-2011, 09:49 AM
I think a lot of the shorter players are shorter than their listed heights. I've seen several players listed between 5'9" and 5'11" in person and they don't seem quite that tall. It's pretty common, both inside and outside of sports, for men to exaggerate their height. I'm just about 5'10", and I can't tell you how many times I've someone had someone shorter than me tell me they're 6'.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-21-2011, 09:56 AM

Im not so sure about that if they continue to slow the surfaces down OR keeping the same surface speed as now

Ronaldo
10-21-2011, 10:44 AM
I think a lot of the shorter players are shorter than their listed heights. I've seen several players listed between 5'9" and 5'11" in person and they don't seem quite that tall. It's pretty common, both inside and outside of sports, for men to exaggerate their height. I'm just about 5'10", and I can't tell you how many times I've someone had someone shorter than me tell me they're 6'.

Maybe this is their secret, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lREErGZTW3U

atac
10-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Andre Agassi was 5'11" (8 slams). I think being an ATP pro goes beyond height, because I'm sure theres a lot of players in the 6'1" to 6'5" range that never made it big.

Ronaldo
10-21-2011, 11:02 AM
Andre Agassi was 5'11" (8 slams). I think being an ATP pro goes beyond height, because I'm sure theres a lot of players in the 6'1" to 6'5" range that never made it big.

Making a living as an ATP seems like a tall order, especially after being knocked down a peg or two each season.

Disgruntled Worker
10-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Nope. You have to be at least 7 feet to play center in the NBA!

goober
10-21-2011, 12:05 PM

Yah Chang, Rochus and and Grosjean are all shorter than their listed heights by an inch or two when you meet them in person and they are already all listed as pretty short.

goran_ace
10-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Chang was usually listed 5'8"-5'9" on paper but the two things I noticed when I saw him play live in person are (1) that he seemed shorter than that, and (2) his legs were huge.

HunterST
10-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Maybe this is their secret, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lREErGZTW3U

I just ordered my pair!

Limpinhitter
10-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Andre Agassi was 5'11" (8 slams). . . .

Only in elevator shoes!

rkelley
10-21-2011, 01:19 PM
I just ordered my pair!

Just gotta ask, why would women be interested in this product. Wouldn't they just buy a shoe with a higher heel? I also don't see how you could play sports in these.

Magic of tennis
10-21-2011, 04:05 PM

Wow That was quite interesting pic.

Magic of tennis
10-21-2011, 04:08 PM
I think shorter players have other good quality to counteract to taller opponents.

2muchdeano
10-21-2011, 04:17 PM

If your good enough, your big enough!
:)

nextbigbigthing1
10-21-2011, 08:24 PM

rochus must be shorter then 5 6 , as ivo clearly has at least 3 foot on him ...

dennis10is
10-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Yes,

I'm a 5'2" male and if I had wanted to play pro I would have dominated. So, it is not a problem.

SirGounder
10-21-2011, 08:55 PM
There are plenty of guys under 6 foot with success as a pro. It is definitely more difficult to make into the higher ranks. Most guys who are able to do that make up for it with something else, typically speed from what I've seen.

Povl Carstensen
10-22-2011, 04:08 AM
Oh yeah thats true. Rochus is 150 and Ivo 250cm

Netzroller
10-22-2011, 04:44 AM
Borg 1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)
Agassi 1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)
McEnroe 1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)
Wilander 1.82 m (6 ft 0 in)
Federer 1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)
Sampras 1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)
Nadal 1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)
Roddick 1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)
Lendl 1.87 m (6 ft 2 in)
Edberg 1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)
Djokovic 1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)
Becker 1.90 m (6 ft 3 in)

Best height for tennis players seems to be 1.80-1.90cm with the optimum being about 1.85cm. This is tall enough to have great firepower, reach and serving abilities but still short enough to allow great footwork/movement and longevity.
Many players of earlier eras were shorter, though. I didn't include them in the list because the game has developed a lot and has different requirements nowadays. While guys like Rochus at 1.65 m (5 ft 5 in) can still be pro, it doesn't seem to be enough to be a top player.

Can't think of a name
10-22-2011, 01:43 PM
that implies that rochus is under 3'10"

nextbigbigthing1
10-22-2011, 04:18 PM
that implies that rochus is under 3'10"

i'd give him 4 10 max

G-12
10-22-2011, 04:32 PM
isnt the average height in the atp around 6'1 - 6'2? you have to be pretty tall to be a pro i guess, especially with poly strings that make the game so much quicker and faster. what about olivier rochus?

dennis10is
10-23-2011, 04:56 PM
isnt the average height in the atp around 6'1 - 6'2? you have to be pretty tall to be a pro i guess, especially with poly strings that make the game so much quicker and faster. what about olivier rochus?

They need to be 6'2 because they don't have the TW forum to guide them. You can dominate at 5'2 if you listen to the Masters here.

Datacipher
10-23-2011, 05:48 PM

Yes, and it has been for at least 20 odd years now. People have been calling for doom and gloom for short players for at least as long if not longer. In fact, I recall people questioning whether a short player could survive on tour way back when the answer was "Ken Rosewall!"

I also think we will see a continuing trend towards no short players but only because kids still seem to me to be getting taller and taller. That is actually all I have seen in the past 20 years....the juniors were getting taller...and so were the pros...but as I said, since at least the early 90's, the average height of the top players hasn't gone up much.

Many experts said in the early 90's that a person under 6' would never win a slam again...Agassi proved them wrong, and the existence of the other short players on tour (many already mentioned) proved it wasn't so. Some others: Gaudio, Chang, Costa, Clement, Grosjean, Coria, Davydenko, Ferrero, Kiefer, Johansson etc. Does one really think that if Federer were an inch or two shorter, he'd be off the tour?

Height is commonplace....doesn't guarantee much.....I'd rather find a world-class junior with unreal foot speed or racquet feel.....that is special......

Except, if you're 6'5 + with a wonderful serve, you may have a chance to survive on serve alone....although if that's all you have, you probably won't be at the top, no matter how good your serve is. In fact, you might not get out of the satellites, it's happened plenty of times.

Datacipher
10-23-2011, 05:59 PM
Many players of earlier eras were shorter, though. I didn't include them in the list because the game has developed a lot and has different requirements nowadays. While guys like Rochus at 1.65 m (5 ft 5 in) can still be pro, it doesn't seem to be enough to be a top player.

No. The requirements of the game really haven't changed at all. The qualities that truly define "talent" remain unchanged. The one area where height is nearly a no drawbacks advantage: the serve, certainly has become more central than ever, but still not enough to make the real difference.

PS. 5 ft 5 was always likely to short to be a top player. Though who knows, that may be an unwarranted judgment on my part based on having no exemplars. Certainly 5'8 or 5'9 was enough to be at the top in any era, including now.

Netzroller
10-24-2011, 10:12 AM
No. The requirements of the game really haven't changed at all. The qualities that truly define "talent" remain unchanged. The one area where height is nearly a no drawbacks advantage: the serve, certainly has become more central than ever, but still not enough to make the real difference.

PS. 5 ft 5 was always likely to short to be a top player. Though who knows, that may be an unwarranted judgment on my part based on having no exemplars. Certainly 5'8 or 5'9 was enough to be at the top in any era, including now.

Well, maybe I wasn't very accurate.
Fact is, the average tennis player is now taller than 80 years ago. One reason might be that people (in developed countries) are generally taller now and thus a guys playing tennis is also more likely to be tall.

However, it is a fact, that shorter guys, don't win lots of titles anymore. While I agree that the skills that were important a long time ago, new qualities are now required to be more succesful. And athleticism is probably the most important of them. Small guys often lack the firepower. But they also don't have an footwork and speed advantage over the 185cm guys like Rafa.

When was the last time 5'7' won a slam? How many guys that size won slams back in the old days (Laver was 5'7')?

VGP
10-25-2011, 07:03 AM
I've always been curious as to Olivier Rochus' height, as I'm not tall either....

Thought I'd mess with the earlier pic and use the net height as a reference (36 in) to measure both Rochus and Karlovic.

http://i52.tinypic.com/154aukm.jpg

I know they're not standing up straight, but it seems their reported heights may be accurate.

CDestroyer
10-25-2011, 07:30 AM
Sure its tall enough. Look at Ferrer top 5 in the world for several years. It would help if they were super fast though.

goober
10-25-2011, 08:26 AM
I've always been curious as to Olivier Rochus' height, as I'm not tall either....

I know they're not standing up straight, but it seems their reported heights may be accurate.

Having stood next to Rochus in person I can assure you he is not 5'6". He is closer 5'4-5-5".

Limpinhitter
10-25-2011, 08:38 AM

Hahaha! I've read this several times before. I just don't understand how a string that is 3 times stiffer than gut has made the game quicker or faster.

Limpinhitter
10-25-2011, 08:51 AM
Well, maybe I wasn't very accurate.
Fact is, the average tennis player is now taller than 80 years ago. One reason might be that people (in developed countries) are generally taller now and thus a guys playing tennis is also more likely to be tall.

However, it is a fact, that shorter guys, don't win lots of titles anymore. While I agree that the skills that were important a long time ago, new qualities are now required to be more succesful. And athleticism is probably the most important of them. Small guys often lack the firepower. But they also don't have an footwork and speed advantage over the 185cm guys like Rafa.

When was the last time 5'7' won a slam? How many guys that size won slams back in the old days (Laver was 5'7')?

The "old days!" Hahaha! So, what has changed? With a few exceptions like Johnston (5'8"), Riggs (5'6"), Rosewall (5'6"), McKinley (5'6"), Laver (5'8"), Chang (5'9"), Goudio (5'9") who else in that size range has won major championships? Who among today's players can you point to who is more athletic than McKinley, Laver or Chang?

sureshs
10-25-2011, 08:54 AM
Hahaha! I've read this several times before. I just don't understand how a sting that is 3 times stiffer than gut has made the game quicker or faster.

Good question and many people don't get it. They think modern polys are more powerful. Actually, they are deader and allow the ball to be hit very hard and with spin. But the increased speed/spin and the deader string don't cancel each other - the additional control actually results in faster shots due to taking bigger cuts on the ball.

VGP
10-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Having stood next to Rochus in person I can assure you he is not 5'6". He is closer 5'4-5-5".

I was just trying something off the pic. Just curious, is he taller or shorter than you?

With regards to height and string, maybe being able to create wider angles in baseline to baseline rallies and in having to deal with more hop off the return of serve favors taller players.

Olivier Rochus has been doing well in Newport the last few years and the ball just stays lower there.

Povl Carstensen
10-25-2011, 10:23 AM
Hahaha! I've read this several times before. I just don't understand how a string that is 3 times stiffer than gut has made the game quicker or faster.
More spin allows quicker shots to stay in.

Magic of tennis
10-25-2011, 11:38 AM

yes I think that is good enough ht

goober
10-25-2011, 12:01 PM
I was just trying something off the pic. Just curious, is he taller or shorter than you?

With regards to height and string, maybe being able to create wider angles in baseline to baseline rallies and in having to deal with more hop off the return of serve favors taller players.

Olivier Rochus has been doing well in Newport the last few years and the ball just stays lower there.

He is shorter than me, but I am not that tall. One of them women that was there was 5'3" and he was just a little taller than her- not by more than an inch or two.