fantom
07-12-2005, 07:26 AM
Interesting read...

Grimjack
07-12-2005, 07:30 AM
Good info here.

fantom
07-12-2005, 07:35 AM
I understand that Joel Drucker is a big-time tennis writer, but I've gotta think that this will do nothing but push Hewitt even farther away from the media. Even though much of it is most likely true, the tone seemed condescending at times.....the way he kept calling him mate.

Aonex
07-12-2005, 07:37 AM
Uhm, where's the article?

Grimjack
07-12-2005, 07:37 AM
Uhm, where's the article?

Just imagine it. Trippy.

GotGame?
07-12-2005, 07:39 AM
http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=13352&bannerregion=

urban
07-12-2005, 07:41 AM
Maybe Drucker has a communication problem with players. He wrote a book on Connors without any cooperation by Jimbo. I think Connors said recently, regarding Drucker's book title 'Jimmy Connors safed my life': "Better not".

fantom
07-12-2005, 07:46 AM
http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=13352&bannerregion=

Thanks GotGame. I made a tinyurl and everything, but forgot to post the link.....heheheh

I can't tell you how many times I've done this at work by forgetting to include attachments and such.

Cheers!

Aonex
07-12-2005, 07:46 AM

Thanks........

GotGame?
07-12-2005, 07:50 AM
Thanks GotGame. I made a tinyurl and everything, but forgot to post the link.....heheheh

I can't tell you how many times I've done this at work by forgetting to include attachments and such.

Cheers!

No problem. It happens to the best of us, LOL. I haven't read it myself yet, too long for me to manage, but I'll try to check it out later with more time.

baseliner
07-12-2005, 08:20 AM
Interesting read. Drucker's negatives are all based on Leyton's failure to open up to the press. I can think of worse faults. He does list many of Hewitt's positives. If Hewitt wants to keep his personal life and business deals private and does not wish to be interviewed by Drucker why does that matter to me? Agreeing to an interview has a downside with Drucker (although he can write a biography without ever interviewing the subject apparently!). This seems to be a self interest, got my ox gored article by Drucker. Why did he wrtie it? Surely he doesn't think this will make Lleyton more likely to submit to an interview does he?

Chadwixx
07-12-2005, 08:29 AM
i thought the article was terrible.

littlelleyton
07-12-2005, 08:34 AM
condescending is putting it nicely, but i guess everyone can have their view. obviously being a Lleyton fan reading this i took it a certain way. i think he probably does have a fair point about Lleyton speaking to reports but im sure he and any other pro could argue that as long as they do what is asked from the ATP then they have the right to keep themself as open or private as they wish. i agree that this more than likely will add further distance between reporters and Lleyton due to the fact that Joel seems to be so condescending as early post states. his continual ref. to Lleyton as mate would show this. however people like this will always be around and im sure any pro wont loss sleep over it. in a way he has hurt his case for ever gettin Lleyton to speak to him.

AndrewD
07-12-2005, 08:56 AM
I had almost 10 years as a professional writer but it takes no qualifications or experience to recognise that the tone of Drucker's article is, basically, 'you owe us'. Sends out a warm welcome to the Hewitt clan, doesn't it?

Regardless, I hope Drucker has a well developed sense of irony although I get the distinct impression that he'd struggle with the spelling.

One of the biggest complaints Hewitt (and countless other media-shy celebrities) have is that the press will write whatever they want regardless of what you do or don't say. So, what does Drucker do to allay those fears? Unable to talk to Hewitt he writes about him anyway.

Cavaleer
07-12-2005, 10:42 AM
I don't understand the point of this article. Drucker's upset because Hewitt won't give him an interview? Who cares? I suppose it's difficult for some journalists to realize that some people could care less what they say or think.

It was interesting to note the similarities between Connors and Serena's on-court and off-court behavior, esp. regarding their view of opponents.

Cavaleer

PusherMan
07-12-2005, 11:21 AM
I thought it was a good read. He gave Hewitt many compliments. He did get it wrong about Lleyton and Kimmy, though. Kim is the one who broke it off. What a biyatch. I'll never be a fan of hers again.

Andy Hewitt
07-12-2005, 01:24 PM
"I won't print some of the words he used to describe journalists. And in some cases, he may be right, but must he take it out on all of us?"

Yes he should.

jukka1970
07-13-2005, 11:47 PM
I thought it was one of the best articles I've ever read. Which is saying a lot in my book, since I can't stand most of them.

There is a sincerity in the whole article, and I really believe the person was trying to show Hewitt, it's important to be involved with the press and to keep the game thriving.

Heck, I actually appreciate Hewitt a little more now after reading the article. And it does explain his emotions etc a little more. I may actually start enjoying to watch him playing again, and have found something to enjoy about Hewitt.

x Southpaw x
07-14-2005, 12:33 AM
I've read my fair share of good articles... and this is not quite one of them. imho... it was quite a bore and I couldn't get past half the article... Tone-wise it sounds like a rant. It doesn't have the "hook" onto readers that most journalists are so capable of. Little of his supporting reasons seem impressive and the main gist of the first half of the article was a whine. First half was all I read... so guess I can't judge.
Unable to talk to Hewitt he writes about him anyway.

federer_nadal
07-14-2005, 05:27 AM
(Guess what, mate? I care so little about your fiancée I'm not even going to say her name.)

Honestly what is wrong with this guy its like he is writing one of those poems with like 5 then 7 then 5 syllables but its like compliment insult compliment