PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for next shot after serve.

Daized
10-21-2011, 11:47 PM
Basically thread title says it all. I am around a 4.5 player but one of my biggest issues in matches is hitting the shot after the serve (Me being the server). I have a one handed back hand (My more solid shot) and a kind of extreme western forehand.

Every time I step up the line to serve, if the returner is able to get a heavy ball back to me or a big flat one, I'm unable to do anything with it other than try to roll it back like a cream puff back deep. This is a bit annoying because it kind of loses me the advantage of serving in the first place if I can't keep the pressure on.

This affects me much more so on my forehand than my backhand, but I just have a really tough time being quick enough to switch grips (to my western forehand mostly) after the serve and hit the ball solidly.

So are there any helpful tips for getting better at this?

atac
10-21-2011, 11:54 PM
Hmm well if the opponent hits a good return deep its kind of tough regardless. Do you have a weaker serve?

USERNAME
10-22-2011, 12:20 AM
Key is being light on your feet. Hit the serve, land on your left foot (right hander), push back off the left foot basically split stepping backwards, land on the balls of your feet with your weight forward. I always do this on 2nd serves.

papa
10-22-2011, 05:37 AM
Best bet is to either get in or out - you stay at the baseline and the next shot is right at your feet and like you say, a difficult ball to play.

So, serve and make it at least halfway in to the service
line or step back a step or two behind the baseline. Good baseliners (most players today) do this automatically (step back) but staying a foot or so inside the baseline will get you in trouble quickly.

LeeD
10-22-2011, 10:59 AM
Since you're a 4.5 and already get into a two handed ready position before the ball can get to you, only Papa's suggestion works.
You adopt TWO kinds of serves. One, you move to 3' behind the service line intending to volley an approach for a net putaway.
Two, you serve and immediately step two steps back, so you're BEHIND you own baseline, to continue a rally because you're tentative and choose to play the game of physical attrition.